• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looks like the cops don't like having their addresses posted either

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
:lol: I'd feel sorry for them if they weren't so arrogant about it. This is an example that even with a new law, CHP information isn't secure.
A Richmond police captain testified Monday that he panicked when he learned that sensitive police department information had fallen into the hands of activists and had been posted online.

The captain, Martin Harrison, testified in Richmond Circuit Court that the documents posted online listed the home addresses of more than 100 police employees.

I was concerned about the safety of those officers and their families,” said Harrison...........The department is seeking to keep the sensitive information out of the public domain. Several of the witnesses — which included the city’s chief deputy prosecutor — testified to the danger that the information could pose to police officers, their families or cooperating informants.

--snipped--

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/l...cle_3628c5b6-6ddd-588f-80f7-80b4d75cb0b0.html

Last edited by a moderator:

jwaldo

Every thumb drive I've purchased for the last 10 years or so has come with an encryption application. Seems like that might be a good idea for sensitive information.

Thanks,
Jim.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Every thumb drive I've purchased for the last 10 years or so has come with an encryption application. Seems like that might be a good idea for sensitive information.

Thanks,
Jim.

I expect he wrote the passcode on the back and those sneaky activists peeked.:eek:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Goose or gander? Either should have the equal priviledge to be someone else's dinner.....or not. :uhoh:

sidestreet

So he "panicked", huh?

Well, I guess we should be all grateful and tickled pink that he and his buddies didn't go out and shoot 102 holes in a truck with two women delivering newspapers the next morning.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

CopBlockRVA

RPD is unlawfully attacking and harassing anyone who even knew about this leaked data in attempts to cover it up. Nate Cox of Virginia Cop Block Posted a link on VA cop block to another blog that had a link to the files, and has been fighting in court since and being threatened by Richmond officers who stalk him. RPD employee info should be public knowledge anyways since they are funded by taxes and extortion of innocent civilians. All the data still exists, even though they have taken illegal steps to suppress it, and is being organized and sorted through to make a comprehensive database that is easily searchable. Transparency is key to ending the rampant police corruption.

http://www.copblock.org/25052/from-va-cop-block-nate-cox-second-round-of-papers-served-local-media-attention/

davidmcbeth

Banned
they are free to move ... deal with it .. you can find most state judge's home address .. they are voted into office and have to file a nominating petition..

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
IIRC there was a case a few years back in Hanover county where a woman had decided that the combined drug task force was dirty and wanted to expose tyem. She posted all sorts of ID info (names, pictures, pictures of POVs, home addresses, some phone #s and other such). She got charged with several crimes. She lost.

Seems, if I am recaklling this correctly, cops are special.

Can someone with Google-Fu that is not down with a raging cough and low-grade fever check on this and get back to us? Thanks.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
IIRC there was a case a few years back in Hanover county where a woman had decided that the combined drug task force was dirty and wanted to expose tyem. She posted all sorts of ID info (names, pictures, pictures of POVs, home addresses, some phone #s and other such). She got charged with several crimes. She lost.

Seems, if I am recaklling this correctly, cops are special.

Can someone with Google-Fu that is not down with a raging cough and low-grade fever check on this and get back to us? Thanks.

stay safe.

I thought they dropped the case....Maybe not.

papa bear

i know that some of you feel this is "turn about is fair play", but it is more like "two wrongs don't make a right". if you would not like your address, or those of your follow carriers being posted then you should be concerned for the innocent LEO being outed. if not for them but for their spouses and children.

it just out right to post anybodies address without their permission

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
i know that some of you feel this is "turn about is fair play", but it is more like "two wrongs don't make a right". if you would not like your address, or those of your follow carriers being posted then you should be concerned for the innocent LEO being outed. if not for them but for their spouses and children.

it just out right to post anybodies address without their permission

I don't recall seeing any of them at the hearings and they did lobby to allow them access to the lists. That way they can lose the CHP's information along with theirs.

You forget that they keep their own little contact databases that can be distributed however they feel.

If the GA is going to dilute open government, they need to keep everyone including LE out....at least without a court order.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
you generally can ask for their employment applications/CVs ... usually they would either have to: a) provide it or b) write the person and ask if they wished information withheld (and they rarely do)

through a foia request ...

OC for ME

I would, if I were on the list, consider pursuing official sanctions, possibly criminal and/or civil remedy against the nitiwt who had my data and then lost my data. If the danger is high to me and mine as that LEA has stated then Mr. Harrison is to be held culpable along with his masters.

eye95

you generally can ask for their employment applications/CVs ... usually they would either have to: a) provide it or b) write the person and ask if they wished information withheld (and they rarely do)

through a foia request ...

Cite?

I admit that I do not know, but this sounds HUGELY bogus. Being able to use FOIA (technically incorrect term) for the personal information of someone else???? I really don't think so.

I call Bravo Sierra. Prove your contention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Cite?

I admit that I do not know, but this sounds HUGELY bogus. Being able to use FOIA (technically incorrect term) for the personal information of someone else???? I really don't think so.

I call Bravo Sierra. Prove your contention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

You can't!
You can get the name, department and salery of any public employee making over $6,000.00 a year.
Personal info is exempt and job applications would be redacted to remove personal information.

Cites are in the FOIA Council's opinions!

Last edited:

OC for ME

The question: Is your street address "personal" information. Is associating your name, available to the public it seems if you are a public servant, to your street address prohibited under the law?