• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looks like the cops don't like having their addresses posted either

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The question: Is your street address "personal" information. Is associating your name, available to the public it seems if you are a public servant, to your street address prohibited under the law?

Yes it is. You can only get information that pertains to your responsibilities as a public employee.
There are other ways to get it through open records but not FOIA.

OC for ME

Thanks.

I wonder if any cop works from home from time to time, writing reports and all. I guess "public" does not apply to houses (street address).

CopBlockRVA

If i know your full name and age, i can find your address. Addresses are not secret. If cops have the power to get all your info we have to have the same power. Its critical to the future of this country that we stop treating cops like untouchable gods who are immune to everything.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
If i know your full name and age, i can find your address. Addresses are not secret. If cops have the power to get all your info we have to have the same power. Its critical to the future of this country that we stop treating cops like untouchable gods who are immune to everything.

+∞

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Quit using them gang symbols marshaul.:p

oh20no20you20di20int20m.jpg

FreeInAZ

+ oo I have often thought we should have a "open view" database of "questionable police contacts." Just like they have LEIN, we should have MEIN (Monitoring Enforcement Idiosyncrasy Network). Any code / net gurus want to give it a try? I'd help as much as I possibly could. :D

va_tazdad

What does that say

:lol: I'd feel sorry for them if they weren't so arrogant about it. This is an example that even with a new law, CHP information isn't secure.

when the opening line of the article quotes a police captain saying he panicked???

Perhaps HE shouldn't have access to a gun.

Panic and guns is not "a good thing" as The Martha says. I expect better from a "professionally trained officer".

OC for ME

White Pages dot com[SUP]1[/SUP]. You don't need a age to find a street address. Just a last name and and a vague idea of where you live geographically with respect to the cop who hassled you. If 53 John Smiths are listed and only one lives in your town.....well.....

If all of them live in your town, well, there are only 53 possible opportunities that one of those are a cop.

[SUP]1[/SUP]This is not an endorsement of the website.

Old Virginia Joe

fair is fair, cops arent special... they need to deal with it.

This all sounds like an example of the old parable, "they came for the Jews, and I said nothing, and they came for the crippled, and they came for the x, and the y, and I said nothing, and then they came for me, and there was no one left to defend me . . . . .

They came for the info on the CHPers, and I said nothing, and then they came for the info on the cops, and the cops cried whaaa haaa haaa, sniff, sniff.

sidestreet

Coming, to a "theatre" near you...,

This all sounds like an example of the old parable, "they came for the Jews, and I said nothing, and they came for the crippled, and they came for the x, and the y, and I said nothing, and then they came for me, and there was no one left to defend me . . . . .

They came for the info on the CHPers, and I said nothing, and then they came for the info on the cops, and the cops cried whaaa haaa haaa, sniff, sniff.

"NO, NO!!! You can't take me! I'm a cop too!"

Yes, yes.., you've been a most useful idiot, but you're not really one of "OUR" cops, you see, so..., off to the deat..., er, "Werk Kamp" with them, guard.

Your "seat" has already been reserved!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

FreeInAZ

Last edited: