• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maria Cantwells relply to my scathing letter

squeezeplae

I told her what she was doing was wrong and a direct attack on the 2nd Amendment, and that I would not stand for it.Here is her reply;

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun ownership and violence prevention. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As you know, on January 16, 2013, President Obama announced a series of legislative proposals and executive actions intended to reduce gun violence. I applaud the President's efforts to close gun purchase loopholes and to create new tools for further background checks.

Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) introduced a bill to regulate assault weapons (S. 150) on January 24, 2013. The proposed legislation bans certain military-style, semi-automatic weapons, and makes it illegal to produce, import, or sell magazines with capacity over ten rounds. The bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, where it is currently awaiting further debate and review.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

In a nutshell she has got to go.

acmariner99

It's a form letter response - I got the exact same thing when I letter rip. Just goes to show how much they truly care about our opinions.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I remember seeing people up in arms ( figure of speech since these people were looking to ban the arms) when 2 senators responded to their letter with a form letter not addressing their subject. It was actually big in the news and was painting a picture that those 2 senators were heartless. It was from the father of a person killed in the movie theater massacre. I guess only those that can pull at heart strings deserve actual responses.

Nimh

It's a form letter response - I got the exact same thing when I letter rip. Just goes to show how much they truly care about our opinions.

I too received the same letter. She may not truly care, but that hasn't stopped me from writing additional letters, and convincing a few more friends and family to do the same.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray must work in the same office, their replies are almost cut and paste.

When they state they support the 2nd Amendment but do not share that they think the 2nd Amendment is only for the militia and they must protect those poor babies that go around killing, robbing, raping our communities, oh the horror!!! :rolleyes:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I received the same response form a couple of them that were almost CCs of each other. I replied with a letter telling them that they did not read my letter and I blasted them for it. It was returned unread. They will do what they want to do if we do not get in there faces.

FrayedString

Yeah, I got the same form letter from her a month ago when I wrote in to oppose any new federal restrictions on 2A rights.

Cantwell and Murray are both a lost cause when it comes to upholding RKBA, but I send them a letter anyway. Unfortunately, they keep winning re-election over and over and over and over and over and over....

cocalc

i got the same exact thing from Cantwell and almost the same as others. The best was a hand written response from Rep. Brad Hawkins where he wrote that he will not support any bill that is against the rights of citizens especially 2A. He even wrote a P.S. saying he cant wait to get back out to the Wenatchee area for some fishing. One more thing....he didn't say one thing about Sandy Hook unlike everyone else who seem to dwell.

Batousaii

~ A serious Problem...

I view this as a very serious problem because it shows an extreme disconnect from the constituency. They are effectively saying "Let them eat cake". I would consider contacting local media, use it as a tool against their next election, and push to get them out of there.

sirpuma

And all this surprises you all? I'm not surprised. I could have told you all before you wrote letters exactly how they would be received and responded to. They don't even read the letters you write. Some office flunky does a quick look over it, sees it's pro 2A and immediately pulls the appropriate form letter out and prints it off for the particular political person to sign (if it's not already signed on the computer copy.) Cantwell, Murry, Feinstein and their ilk are not Democrats, they are Communists. Their goal is never to reduce crime or even "gun violence". They aren't stupid. They understand that the firearms restrictions they push for aren't intended to stop criminals but to disarm the public in general. It is a program that has worked over and over around the world. The only hiccup for them in the US is our gun culture is much deeper and stronger and so their program will take longer.

You can't tell them to support our rights, you can't vote them out of office. They control the election system. There's only one way we the people can secure our rights and it's the same way our nations founding fathers used against the King of England.

Stretch

With the advancements in technology, I think we could do away with our representatives being shipped off to DC. They can have their meetings from offices within our own state, get a real feel for how our citizens feel. They have become too insulated from their constituents, to beholden to lobbyists and have no idea what We The People really want.

Neither Cantdowell or Sneakers want to support our 2A rights.

FMCDH

Yeah, I got the same form letter from her a month ago when I wrote in to oppose any new federal restrictions on 2A rights.

Cantwell and Murray are both a lost cause when it comes to upholding RKBA, but I send them a letter anyway. Unfortunately, they keep winning re-election over and over and over and over and over and over....

I agree, send them a letter anyway.

I use a form letter for representatives that send me form letters, and write personalized letters to representatives that communicate in the same manner.

It can't hurt to send a quick pre-made letter, it only takes a few seconds AND when received in enough numbers, it helps to ensure they keep the fact that there are those that oppose these laws in the back of their minds, even if they don't take the opposition view seriously.

The old adage applies for all politician's views, "silence is acceptance."

Beretta92FSLady

Hitler and Stalin and Mao would have gave out the same letter ...

Of course her brain is fried and stuck in 1994 ... before HELLER ... can't pass a law like that anymore .. duh

Heller stated nothing about regulation, and banning certain firearms; they can't have an outright ban on all firearms.

Vitaeus

.......BUT........

In english, the above construction points out that what comes after is more important than the part that comes before. It is in the same category with "With all due respect,..."