• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Court Declares: Concealed Carry Not Protected By The Second Amendment

Law abider

I thought this was a good read. I get the logic behind this decision. It will be interesting to see if there are any challenges to it. They conclude that it is a privileged. I get that. The problem is that the person filing the suit can't carry in Colorado so his right to keep and bear arms according to the US constitution is being denied. Other than moving to the state, what else can Peterson do? Appeal to SCOTUS?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...y-a-concealed-weapon-we-explain-the-decision/

HandyHamlet

...what else can Peterson do? Appeal to SCOTUS?

Since you refuse to post a fair use quote? Who knows or cares?

The "fair use quote" means it's polite and customary to include a quote (or summary) of some of the more relevant parts of the article you're linking to so those reading your post can get an idea at a glance of what you're talking about or referring to. It also helps people to decide if the link is something they might want to click on for more information or if they get the gist of it from your fair use quote (FUQ).

Looks like it might be time to break out the old "Ignore" list again.

Last edited:

Bradley

I thought this was a good read. I get the logic behind this decision. It will be interesting to see if there are any challenges to it. They conclude that it is a privileged. I get that. The problem is that the person filing the suit can't carry in Colorado so his right to keep and bear arms according to the US constitution is being denied. Other than moving to the state, what else can Peterson do? Appeal to SCOTUS?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...y-a-concealed-weapon-we-explain-the-decision/

It is a good read, Thank you.:D

Law abider

Since you refuse to post a fair use quote? Who knows or cares?

Looks like it might be time to break out the old "Ignore" list again.

I have used the FUQ as outlined by NOTOLERANCE. It is in the title. The title declares what the article is all about. The article is on a lawsuit brought by Mr Peterson who cannot OC/CC in Denver CO bec he lives in FL because the city of Denver won't allow OC. These federal decisions in other states can effect us here in WI. Why don't you write the FUQ for this post then to your satisfaction.

MKEgal

This only tangentially relates to WI. Should be in one of the general site-wide threads, since it applies broadly across the USA.

Law abider said:
The problem is that the person filing the suit can't carry in Colorado so his right to keep and bear arms according to the US Constitution is being denied.
Unless he carries openly, which apparently Denver thinks it can prohibit.
Colorado only honors licenses from residents of the issuing state.
There are the next legal challenges.

an appeal will almost certainly come out of the case, given that it directly contradicts another decision by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals...
the court in this case did not rule that bans on open carry are constitutional (and, in fact, noted with some bewilderment that Peterson had not challenged the open carry statute in the decision)

Last Friday, the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals handed down its decision in the case of Peterson v. Martinez, a case involving the question of whether a state has an obligation to provide a concealed carry license to anyone who has been granted such a license in another state. Their answer was, to put it mildly, “no.”

we conclude that the carrying of concealed firearms is not protected by the Second Amendment or the Privileges and Immunities Clause
Notice they only say concealed. So he should be able to OC, since that's the pure form of RKBA.

This annoyed me:
the Supreme Court’s decision to grant the right to keep and bear arms the same legal status as more longstanding rights like the right to free speech has been exceedingly recent
First, SCOTUS does not grant rights.
Second, the first 10 Amendments became law at the same time.

eye95

I have used the FUQ as outlined by NOTOLERANCE. It is in the title. The title declares what the article is all about. The article is on a lawsuit brought by Mr Peterson who cannot OC/CC in Denver CO bec he lives in FL because the city of Denver won't allow OC. These federal decisions in other states can effect us here in WI. Why don't you write the FUQ for this post then to your satisfaction.

I am usually the first to demand a FUQ (Hell, I coined the acronym!) or a summary. IMO, you provided ample summary to assure me that the link would be of interest and not dangerous. I read the article almost as soon as you posted the link and can assure folks that it is informative on the ruling. It will help you create perspective on what the ruling really says, how they arrived at it, and what it means to you.

Thank you for the post and for the summary. As far as I am concerned, you done real good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

rushcreek2

The 2nd Amendment does not address the issue of "concealed arms" since the focus of that provision is the function of the " militia " - NOT civil intercourse in the public square.

The drafters of the Colorado Constitution - for better or worse - chose to exclude the casual practice of carrying concealed weapons in the civil arena from the reserved right of every person to bear arms in defense of their home, person, property , or the state.

The SCOTUS in Heller/McDonald deferred to the prerogatives of the several states to deal with the issue of concealed carry - and Colorado having already done so in 1876 only "permits" concealed carry. Washington State's "BAD" for not recognizing Colorado's CHP.

Denver's open carry ban is the issue - not entirely a settled issue.

Last edited: