• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MWAG Call - Video

xxx.jakk.xxx

Damn, that carrier knew his stuff. I couldn't name most cases and could barely name the exact RCWs. Looks like I need to commit some more stuff to memory or carry a cheat sheet of info (i do have pamphlets but they are on WA state law, not so much on case law like this gentleman knew).

Glad it went well... as well as possible for a situation that should have never happened.

Last edited:

SeattleWingsfan

The scary thing is the comments after the video that show almost every person saying the cop was just doing his job and what would you do if someone was carrying a gun down the street... That is why I choose to open carry. the more guns people see the less likely they are to think we are law breaking maniacs.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
It is still hot conversation in the LEO world. Here is an article on P1 about the confrontation.

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-iss...ce-goes-viral/?source=newsletter&nlid=6131471

Some of the comments are enlightening. Apparently we are all "a$$hats if we are armed. They really believe that we go out to ambush them. Most of the People I know that carry recorders, carry because they fear LEOs will lie about the incident.

In this article they use the incident as a "training" exercise. It can also be used as a reminder for OCers as to what to expect from a LEO.

http://www.policeone.com/police-tra...nt-vs-the-cop/?source=newsletter&nlid=6131471

Most of these folks are well-meaning people who simply want to “demonstrate” their rights under the law, such as it is, wherever that is. However, some of them are out on the streets with the sole purpose of provoking a confrontation with law enforcement.
They want nothing more than to trip you up, make you flustered, and get you irritated.
That way, they can post the video of their encounter to the Internet. So, remember:

1.) Know your local law
2.) Know your weapons
3.) Keep your cool
4.) Use command presence
5.) Use verbal judo
6.) Remain professional
7.) Maintain your 360
8.) Remember ‘plus one’
9.) Call for backup
10.) Watch the hands

carracer

It is still hot conversation in the LEO world. Here is an article on P1 about the confrontation.

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-iss...ce-goes-viral/?source=newsletter&nlid=6131471

Some of the comments are enlightening. Apparently we are all "a$$hats if we are armed. They really believe that we go out to ambush them. Most of the People I know that carry recorders, carry because they fear LEOs will lie about the incident.

In this article they use the incident as a "training" exercise. It can also be used as a reminder for OCers as to what to expect from a LEO.

http://www.policeone.com/police-tra...nt-vs-the-cop/?source=newsletter&nlid=6131471

Most of these folks are well-meaning people who simply want to “demonstrate” their rights under the law, such as it is, wherever that is. However, some of them are out on the streets with the sole purpose of provoking a confrontation with law enforcement.
They want nothing more than to trip you up, make you flustered, and get you irritated.
That way, they can post the video of their encounter to the Internet. So, remember:

1.) Know your local law
2.) Know your weapons
3.) Keep your cool
4.) Use command presence
5.) Use verbal judo
6.) Remain professional
7.) Maintain your 360
8.) Remember ‘plus one’
9.) Call for backup
10.) Watch the hands

Unclear about items 7 and 8. Would someone help me out with these?

bmg50cal

1.) Know your local law
2.) Know your weapons
3.) Keep your cool
4.) Use command presence
5.) Use verbal judo
6.) Remain professional
7.) Maintain your 360
8.) Remember ‘plus one’
9.) Call for backup
10.) Watch the hands

They need a step "0."
0.) Don't not initiate encounter without RAS or PC.

zekester

I love this quote from the police forum!!

"Posted by patch187 on Thursday, February 28, 2013 07:42 AM Pacifi

I'm from/work in New Mexico, an open carry state. I encounter people with guns on their hip all the time and unless they are doing something that gives me reasonable suspicion to conduct an investigation then the best I can do is a consensual encouter. I usually those begin with talking about the guy and asking him why he doesn't get a concealed carry permit. I don't take his gun because legally I can't.

If we're not going to support the constitution then what are we here for in the first place? It's not about proving a point to someone who offends us in some way, it's about protecting people's rights. Keep in mind, once we retire or move on from law enforcement, we fall under those same rules as well and most of us would just about **** ourselves if another officer stopped us for something we were doing that WAS LEGAL with no other reason for the stop. Just my 2 cents...as always, STAY SAFE AND SHOOT STRAIGHT! "

I still can't seem to master the BOLD...but by this officer saying that once they "move on" from being a LEO. "we fall under those same rules as well".......such BS.....

Baked on Grease

Plus One, also known as the Rule of Two, is an assumption that if they see one weapon they will find another nearby. They use (read as Abuse) this 'rule' as a justification for further investigation or search. They think that if you have one weapon they can see they just have to look harder/deeper to find the other.

The 4th circuit just blasted that idea on it's face a couple days ago in US vs Black.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Fallschirjmäger

[quote="k_9527 on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 05:47 PM Pacific]I have no problem with people exercising their 2nd Amendment Rights. I DO have a problem with idiots such as this that try to make fools out of LE. And for what purpose? I bet this guy is a "Skinny Jean" wearing hipster that knows it all. Well Sir, let me point a few things out to you:

#1: Even though you can walk along a "public street", keep in mind that citizens may be alarmed by your weapon.
#2: When cops get a "lawful complaint", they are obligated to investigate.
#3: Once the "subject" is found and identified and the weapon is seen, cops have enough to detain you to investigate.
#4: At that point, cops have to determine if the "subject" is not a felon and that the firearm is not stolen. Therefore, you HAVE TO PROVIDE PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION.
#5: If everything checks out, you're free to leave and merrily carry on with your "skinny jean" wearing self. Thanks. [/quote]
#1 So? They can be alarmed that I'm black or that I'm wearing white after Labor Day or because I'm wearing stripes mixed with plaids.
#2 A "lawful complaint"? What in Tarnation is that? A complaint of someone performing a lawful act? "Help! That man's wearing a blue shirt, Stop HIM OMG, OMG, OMG!"
#3 Perhaps in some benighted jurisdictions, not in the one I live in.
#4. Do they "have to determine" that my cellphone is stolen, or my Parker brand pen, what about the sandwich from MickyDee's do they have some responsibility to determine any of those are stolen either?
#5 I doubt it, and I highly doubt Officer Friendly can cite to state law in his blighted state that says I do.

Baked on Grease

#1 So? They can be alarmed that I'm black or that I'm wearing white after Labor Day or because I'm wearing stripes mixed with plaids.
#2 A "lawful complaint"? What in Tarnation is that? A complaint of someone performing a lawful act? "Help! That man's wearing a blue shirt, Stop HIM OMG, OMG, OMG!"
#3 Perhaps in some benighted jurisdictions, not in the one I live in.
#4. Do they "have to determine" that my cellphone is stolen, or my Parker brand pen, what about the sandwich from MickyDee's do they have some responsibility to determine any of those are stolen either?
#5 I doubt it, and I highly doubt Officer Friendly can cite to state law in his blighted state that says I do.

Hear hear. Numbers three and four really got my blood boilling, even though I know it is how they operate anyhow. If he used that in court the case would get thrown out right there.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Plus One, also known as the Rule of Two, is an assumption that if they see one weapon they will find another nearby. They use (read as Abuse) this 'rule' as a justification for further investigation or search. They think that if you have one weapon they can see they just have to look harder/deeper to find the other. The 4th circuit just blasted that idea on it's face a couple days ago in US vs Black.

^^ This is Truth!!

Don't you just love the "comments" on P1. It gives you an insight to people you may run into on a daily basis.
Comment: I have never been and never will be a "subject". I am, and will remain a Free Man, unintimidated by law enforcement.

hermannr

Black in the 4th and Thompson in the 10th. Both charged as "Felon in possession of a firearm". The mere possession of a firearm in a state that allows unlicensed OC is not enough for reasonable suspician to conduct a Terry stop.