Thread: Hb 304

Hb 304

Hello,

While I do not live in Montana currently, I may be moving there in the next few months so I have been watching and reading about the Montana Legislature.

While Looking at HB 304 in Laws today I noticed that it was sent to the senate committee on education "(S) Education and Cultural Resources".

Its good to see things moving, but can someone more knowledgeable please explain to me how the committees work in Montana?
    I expected to see this bill in "(S) Judiciary" or something similar. or can a bill be sent to any random committee?
    Is the education committee better or worse than judiciary?

Thanks.

Hmm, I expected it to go so (S) Judiciary Committee also.

Here is the list of committee members in the Senate: http://leg.mt.gov/content/Committees...%20columns.pdf

(S) Judiciary is 7-R; 5-D
    (S) Education and Cultural Resources is 6-R; 4-D

As to why it went to Education and Cultural Resources I am not sure. I might have to send a mail to find out.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Very interesting, and I don't know why either. Email into my Rep who I know pretty well to see what he says.

One thing that you will find different here versus other states. We are only in session for 90 days every 2 years. A bill must be read, and passed, 3 times to continue on. It gets real interesting to watch too.

ETA: Rep says that it is odd. It could either be a mistake, or the President of the Senate thought it should go there to die.. can be done when the President is against a particular piece of legislation.
    Last edited by MontanaCZ; 02-27-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Its been fixed,
    Laws
    "(S) Rereferred to Committee 03/06/2013 (S) Judiciary".

Thanks all for your help.

Almost law. Passed the house and now the senate. If the Gov signs, it's law.

I do expect the Governor to veto this like it was last year. Fingers crossed though.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.