• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Removed from Wehrenberg Theater in Arnold MO

carolina guy

The officer had reasonable suspicion as theater personnel reported MWAG. Simple as that.

Management reported it to the police in which they investigated.

I understand that a crime must be committed for an officer to detain and question however, I felt that the officer was merely trying to deescalate some "girly men" (those afraid of guns)

I complied simply to keep the situation from becoming hostile. If I had felt the officer was deliberately trying to intimidate me, abuse me, or commit an illegal act such as disarming me, I wouldnt have been cooperative at all.

basically, by the officer's body language and attitude AFTER he had learned I had a valid CCW, he seemed reluctant to continue our conversation. His questions seemed forced, as if he felt he had to because he felt it was his job.

The managers were a couple of dorky looking fellows who were the ones who looked like they were about ready to pee their pants.

The sign was a joke. It was no where near the front entrance. You'd have to comb the lobby looking for it. Not to mention having to read through a couple of small print paragraphs with no pictures.

:)

scott58dh

snip; "I complied simply to keep the situation from becoming hostile."

Hey Jaysann22,

I just want to say that I am Very Proud of you that you kept a Cool Head during this confrontational issue.

You have done *US* (OCers & CCers) a great service by NOT Taking this event as a Personal affront on your character.

Keep up with the Great attitude, utilize your Situational Awareness in All circunstances & Most Importantly, Carry Safe !

Peace & RKBA 4ever !

Jaysann22

snip; "I complied simply to keep the situation from becoming hostile."

Hey Jaysann22,

I just want to say that I am Very Proud of you that you kept a Cool Head during this confrontational issue.

You have done *US* (OCers & CCers) a great service by NOT Taking this event as a Personal affront on your character.

Keep up with the Great attitude, utilize your Situational Awareness in All circunstances & Most Importantly, Carry Safe !

Peace & RKBA 4ever !

Thanks, I appreciate everyones feedback.

I try to always keep a cool head and use a strategy when dealing with the police.

I simply could see the officer was not trying to deliberately abuse his authority or infringe upon my rights and thats why I responded with cooperation.

However, when I corrected the officer, he seemed to mistake it as attitude.

I wont lie, his lack of knowledge upset me, and I probably should have corrected him in a more polite manner, but the situation was somewhat embarrassing and intrusive.

So the officer being severely "misinformed" was the last straw and it was difficult to be strictly polite or pleasant...

Redbaron007

Jaysann22.....I think you handled everything as best as one could under the circumstances.

For those who are/were concerned about presenting your CCW; MO state law states a CCWer must present the ID when asked..Section 571.121. The officer was told an individual in the theater did/potentially have a concealed firearm...at that point in time, no question, the officer was acting within their capacity.

Now to asking Jaysann22 to leave the premises; it is a decision the officer can make. If the theater management indicated Jaysann22 was trespassing with the firearm (legally or not) the officer can make the call to have the management ask or he can. Since the management was already concerned enough to contact LE, they didn't want the CCWer on the property with a firearm. The officer did fine. The subsequent conversations were probably not needed by the officer.

Last edited:

OC for ME

1. The officer had no legal basis to disarm the OP, because the officer had no legal basis to detain the op.
2. The business had no legal complaint against the OP which the police could legally investigate/enforce because the business never asked the OP to leave. They called the police first to enforce a company policy, not because a crime was being committed which would have been the case had the business asked the OP to leave and he refused.

My question is, why was "Are you detaining me, officer?" never asked? The OP, it seems, voluntarily complied with all of the officer's requests, but he was under no legal obligation to do so. The police can only legally enforce statutes and ordinances, not company policies. What happens when officers detain persons in order to enforce company policies?

http://www.examiner.com/article/alamogordo-police-pay-21-000-to-settle-open-carry-lawsuit
1. True, and never did I state that he had justification. I simply said that it was god that the OP was not disarmed.

2. This is the tricky part. That cop was responding to a citizen that had a gun under his coat. That cop could have done a great many things to ensure his safety, rightly or wrongly, which way do you think the cops boss would go. But he was extremely reasonable and professional if I read the OP's account correctly.

What the OP stated is that the cop just simply asked if the OP had a endorsement. After a affirmative response the cop is now like "dang, now I gotta be a butt head cuz those to nitwits are watching....." The cop could have left and he should have, but he did not cuz he was called to do something.

Also, did anyone ever think that the cop has some experience with local businesses and that he knows that most public places don't allow firearms?

The OP did not see a sign clearly posted, I'll betcha the cop did not see one either, and I'll also betcha that he may have had to do this once or twice before at this business.

Did the OP ever think that the cop was trying to pass on some friendly information in a manner that he thought would not seem like a command?

Did the OP ever stop and think that the cop thought he was doing the OP a favor and then gets a "attitude" for his efforts?

REALteach4u

There is an obligation to produce your ccw permit when requested by law enforcement. Since the OP was carrying a concealed firearm, the officer needed to confirm the carrier has a valid permit. Otherwise the OP could be detained for investigation of a weapon offense.

Yeppers!

See RSMO 571.121.1 please.
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000121.HTM

Any person issued a concealed carry endorsement pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall carry the concealed carry endorsement at all times the person is carrying a concealed firearm and shall display the concealed carry endorsement upon the request of any peace officer. Failure to comply with this subsection shall not be a criminal offense but the concealed carry endorsement holder may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed thirty-five dollars.

Last edited: