• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roanoke area visit

Nicholas A.

I'm going to be visiting the Roanoke area this weekend and I was just curious of any malls or movie theaters that wont have a problem with OC. I visit the Northern VA area and just dont want to be asked to leave a place because I'm carrying

SaltH2OHokie

You'd think it'd be better than it is, given its rural setting, but I was probably asked to leave more places in Roanoke than any other place I've openly carried. On the other hand, its been 4 years since I last did, so things may have changed.

As I recall the valley view mall (right by the airport) had "no weapons" on their entrance doors. Red Robin in that same section was always welcoming. Can't remember which ones, but I do know my wife and I ate at a few restaurants open carrying in downtown.

Sesrun

Well the list is moderate of those who are gun owner unfriendly...
Valley View Mall,
Tanglewood Mall
Regal Valley View Grande Theater,
all Carmike Theaters,
Annie Moore's Irish Pub,
Brambleton Deli,
Cornerstone Bar & Grill,
Flanary's Irish Pub,
TGI Friday's,
and Red Lobster.

I believe Abuelo's Mexican Resteraunt and Carrabbas Italian Grill are friendly though. I've also never had a problem at Outback or Hibachi Express Japanese.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Sesrun have you ever had trouble at a Red Lobster in Roanoke (do they even have one)? I've never had any issue OCing at any Red Lobster despite the info VCDL has had on their website. My wife worked for Darden (owner of Red Lobster, Olive Garden and now Longhorn Steakhouse) for a decade and she'd never heard of any "No Guns" policy for customers. I've never seen anything at Tanglewood that indicated it was firearm unfriendly, but then I've never OCed there either and I haven't seen anything posted since the time I looked. I have OCed into some of the anchor stores like JC Penney at Valley View and had no issue, but I stay out of the mall.

The wife and I are regularly down in Roanoke and when there we usually eat at Abuelos or Carrabba's and OC while we do. We've also been to Longhorn Steakhouse there by Valley View Mall as well and had no issue. Other than one issue about 5 years ago at the Carrabba's we go to, I've not had any issue OCing in any of the stores in Roanoke, but I stay out of some of those Sesrun listed though.

Last edited:

Sesrun

Sesrun have you ever had trouble at a Red Lobster in Roanoke (do they even have one)? I've never had any issue OCing at any Red Lobster despite the info VCDL has had on their website. My wife worked for Darden (owner of Red Lobster, Olive Garden and now Longhorn Steakhouse) for a decade and she'd never heard of any "No Guns" policy for customers. I've never seen anything at Tanglewood that indicated it was firearm unfriendly, but then I've never OCed there either and I haven't seen anything posted since the time I looked. I have OCed into some of the anchor stores like JC Penney at Valley View and had no issue, but I stay out of the mall.

The wife and I are regularly down in Roanoke and when there we usually eat at Abuelos or Carrabba's and OC while we do. We've also been to Longhorn Steakhouse there by Valley View Mall as well and had no issue. Other than one issue about 5 years ago at the Carrabba's we go to, I've not had any issue OCing in any of the stores in Roanoke, but I stay out of some of those Sesrun listed though.

There is a Red Lobster in Roanoke on Franklin Rd (near K-mart & Kabuki). I have not had any personal negative experience there, but I have not OC'd there other than picking up orders. I thought Tanglewood had a sign in the entrance way near 5 Guys, however I may be misremembering. I'll look next time I'm by there to be sure one way or the other.

Nicholas A.

Good to know, thank you for the list. I personally avoid regal and AMC just becuase those have no weapon policies