• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

4th Circuit ruling supporting the 4A

carolina guy

My best friend here is a lawyer. He taught me that the FIRST thing out of your mouth when stopped is "Am I free to leave?" If the answer is "no", then there should be NO further interaction with the cop not MANDATED by law, such as (in Ohio) notification that you have an Ohio CHL AND you are carrying a firearm.

Leave the witty "banter" with cops to "Law & Order". If you're not free to leave, shut your mouth and let the cop talk HIMSELF into a jam.

not much to be gained "arguing" your point once the LEO has decided to detain/arrest...

eye95

My best friend here is a lawyer. He taught me that the FIRST thing out of your mouth when stopped is "Am I free to leave?" If the answer is "no", then there should be NO further interaction with the cop not MANDATED by law, such as (in Ohio) notification that you have an Ohio CHL AND you are carrying a firearm.

Leave the witty "banter" with cops to "Law & Order". If you're not free to leave, shut your mouth and let the cop talk HIMSELF into a jam.

And record it all.

Also, assume that the detention is lawful (you have no way of knowing whether it is or isn't, and follow your State's law regarding responding to demands for identification.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I have been thinking about printing a business card with the Miranda warning on it with Right to Remain Silent in bold and highlighted, and underneath the rights "Am I free to leave?". Then I don't even have to say a word just hand them the card.

OC for ME

I have been thinking about printing a business card with the Miranda warning on it with Right to Remain Silent in bold and highlighted, and underneath the rights "Am I free to leave?". Then I don't even have to say a word just hand them the card.
I think that there may be a "furtive" movement in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

How about a ball cap with those two phrases?

eye95

...How about a ball cap with those two phrases?

When I first saw that, my mind saw cap and ball. I wondered if you weren't suggesting threatening the officer with inscribed antique ammo!

The business card is a great suggestion. Print your name, address, and birthdate on another card. If he does not indicate that you are free to leave and demands identification, hand him that card too.

Deanimator

It would probably freak the cop out, and that's to the good. They count on being able to intimidate or fluster you.

Shut them down cold without an opening and they must be at a total loss.

MKEgal

OC for ME said:
How about a ball cap with those two phrases?
I like the idea, though about the only time I wear a hat is at the range. (Once in a while in the summer, to keep the sun off my head, ears, & neck & out of my eyes, but I prefer to avoid the sun altogether.)

If there's an event planned where there might be some official-type people in attendance who maybe don't understand the laws about lawfully-armed citizens as well as perhaps they could or should*, have T-shirts with "am I free to go?" on the front, back, & both sleeves.

*[Is that put delicately enough so as not to be "cop-bashing"?]

Last edited:

OC for ME

When I first saw that, my mind saw cap and ball. I wondered if you weren't suggesting threatening the officer with inscribed antique ammo!

The business card is a great suggestion. Print your name, address, and birthdate on another card. If he does not indicate that you are free to leave and demands identification, hand him that card too.
Ah, a well timed two piece ammo reference that completely eluded me. You have one-upped me Sir. Well played.

"Scuse me officer, I must refrain from any further interactions while I accoutrement myself, please bear with me for a moment."

carolina guy

+1

Been thinking about something similar.