• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School zone help!

Bmeierholtz

I was setting here drinking coffee, and looking around the forum this morning when something clicked in my brain finally. I OC now, but am waiting on my CCW to arrive. The problem is that right across the street from where I live is an elementary school, and I had not even CONSIDERED any ramifications there may be. After a frantic search for the correct law concerning this, I came up with (18 U.S.C. § 922(q) ). Sub paragraph B states that this does not apply to private property and I assume I am safe here.
Does anyone know of any contradicting law that says I can't carry my gun openly back and forth to my car, or even set outside with it? I do not make a habit of setting around outside with it tho, lol.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I was setting here drinking coffee, and looking around the forum this morning when something clicked in my brain finally. I OC now, but am waiting on my CCW to arrive. The problem is that right across the street from where I live is an elementary school, and I had not even CONSIDERED any ramifications there may be. After a frantic search for the correct law concerning this, I came up with (18 U.S.C. § 922(q) ). Sub paragraph B states that this does not apply to private property and I assume I am safe here.
Does anyone know of any contradicting law that says I can't carry my gun openly back and forth to my car, or even set outside with it? I do not make a habit of setting around outside with it tho, lol.

A more important question is whether anyone has been persecuted solely for having a gun near a school, and I can't find any case where this was A), the only charge, and B) not used against someone who was a problem in other ways (gang member, etc).

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The clearly unconstitutional (still) Federal Gun-Free School Zone Act is completely unenforced in the free states. Don't give it a second thought in Nevada. Not even a federal cop is going to use it against someone who isn't already being arrested for drug-dealing or gang-banging.

You can open carry while walking past a school with no worries here.

Now, there is an added offense for LOITERING near a school with a firearm, but this is only when you are already guilty of loitering.