• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In hand open carry

Ezerharden

would carrying a holstered handgun in your hand walking down the street be illegal?

I would say yes as it could be considered brandishing, however if you want to test it out feel free and let us know (assuming you get internet access in jail that is).

FreeInAZ

would carrying a holstered handgun in your hand walking down the street be illegal?

This was gone over & debated in a thread a while back that was deleted. I expect this thread will be also. While it may or may not be brandishing depending on situation, it certainly seems like a disaster waiting to happen. As we have seen in LA, some LEO's go full auto and get the "details" later...just saying...:eek:

Raggs

FreeInAZ, The question is well within the rules of this forum and I hope that people keep it civilized.

This is my opinion, it is only mine but still IHOC of a holstered handgun like anything else, unless it has been made illegal, is legal by default. It is not brandishing either. There is no case law, so the courts will hopefully revert to the dictionary, look it up there and see if it fits. I don't see how this would be any different than something that happened in Birmingham sometime back.

This was gone over & debated in a thread a while back that was deleted. I expect this thread will be also. While it may or may not be brandishing depending on situation, it certainly seems like a disaster waiting to happen. As we have seen in LA, some LEO's go full auto and get the "details" later...just saying...:eek:

mikestilly

FreeInAZ, The question is well within the rules of this forum and I hope that people keep it civilized.

This is my opinion, it is only mine but still IHOC of a holstered handgun like anything else, unless it has been made illegal, is legal by default. It is not brandishing either. There is no case law, so the courts will hopefully revert to the dictionary, look it up there and see if it fits. I don't see how this would be any different than something that happened in Birmingham sometime back.

Raggs: What is the purpose of IHOC? It seems like a not smart thing to do. Pointing it in the wrong direction might also get you shot. I can't think a single reason why anyone would need to hold their holstered firearm in public. Shed some light on this.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

There is case law

TheQ

I've heard a former member of this forum did something similar. He was walking down Dixie Highway while it was raining. He had a make-shift poncho out of a trash bag.

He didn't want to cause the bag to accidentally conceal his gun, so he proceeded to walk in public while having it in his hand.

I don't remember there being reports of him being arrested or charged with anything -- for this incident. That doesn't mean it's legal though.

IANAL! YMMV!

HKcarrier

What would be the purpose of this form of IHOC? Seems rather ridiculous unless you are referring to short trips from the house to the car, or something similar... which I do often, in my driveway.

Raggs

Ok hypothetical

I am a person who is 20 years old and break down in a bad neighborhood and wouldn't you know my cell phone is dead, Darn! I saw a store about a mile back and really have no idea what might be ahead so i decide to walk the mile back. it is cold and raining and my coat is too long and will definitely cover the pistol if I were to carry it on my belt so I decide to carry the holstered pistol in my left hand so I have protection in the bad neighborhood.

What would be the purpose of this form of IHOC? Seems rather ridiculous unless you are referring to short trips from the house to the car, or something similar... which I do often, in my driveway.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Ok hypothetical

I am a person who is 20 years old and break down in a bad neighborhood and wouldn't you know my cell phone is dead, Darn! I saw a store about a mile back and really have no idea what might be ahead so i decide to walk the mile back. it is cold and raining and my coat is too long and will definitely cover the pistol if I were to carry it on my belt so I decide to carry the holstered pistol in my left hand so I have protection in the bad neighborhood.

Is it a revolver or automatic? Stainless or blued?

But, seriously, your hypothetical person is going to end up throwing it in the dirt when the po-po roll up.

Best suggestion, stay out of bad neighborhoods until he gets a CPL., especially on a dark & stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly, a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.

B

Bikenut

Ok hypothetical

As if the belt can't be taken off a person's pants and put around the coat on the outside....

Hypothetical... folks stop asking questions intended to cause controversy.

Last edited by a moderator:

scot623

I've heard a former member of this forum did something similar. He was walking down Dixie Highway while it was raining. He had a make-shift poncho out of a trash bag.

He didn't want to cause the bag to accidentally conceal his gun, so he proceeded to walk in public while having it in his hand.

I don't remember there being reports of him being arrested or charged with anything -- for this incident. That doesn't mean it's legal though.

IANAL! YMMV!

That sounds soooo familiar. link nsfw

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/13691863/ihoc

Raggs

I haven't seen any controversy, there are people who think lgoc is a bad thing as well, and they have the right, I don't think most of us would do what I have asked, I asked about the legality.

As if the belt can't be taken off a person's pants and put around the coat on the outside....

Hypothetical... folks stop asking questions intended to cause controversy.

scot623

I haven't seen any controversy, there are people who think lgoc is a bad thing as well, and they have the right, I don't think most of us would do what I have asked, I asked about the legality.

No controversy? Then surely you'll ihoc passed a group of cops and let us all know how it works out. Then you can tell us if it's legal or not rather than us just opining.

Michigander

This is my opinion, it is only mine but still IHOC of a holstered handgun like anything else, unless it has been made illegal, is legal by default. It is not brandishing either.

One thing to keep in mind, under the definition of brandishing, is that even OCing a handgun in a belt carried holster might not stand up against a brandishing charge, even given the AG opinions, if the carrier could be shown in court to be carrying only to make people see it in an obnoxious manner along the lines of the definition of brandishing, rather than for any other lawful purpose. Carrying it in hand might just make it look more like this was your intention.

So my opinion is that I wouldn't want to be a test case for one thing because there would be no reason, and for another reason because I think it could easily lose.

Ezerharden

What is the point of asking about the legality of such a blatantly stupid idea that even you say most here (past forum members excluded) wouldnt do?

FreeInAZ

Outstanding video Rob! I laughed so hard I cried. Thanks for making it. To the un-named subject of this short video....impulse control goes a long way. So does listening to the weather report before leaving the house...:confused:

Wish you all the best in MI. No need for IHOC here - as it was sunny and near 70° today . :D

Raggs

What is the point of asking about the legality of such a blatantly stupid idea that even you say most here (past forum members excluded) wouldnt do?

as pointed out earlier there is precedent according to DrTodd. Also I know people who would never carry a rifle in public and think it is stupid and yet people do. As to the no controversy comment I meant in this thread, all though shockingly I have gotten more opinion and emotion than actual facts.