• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In hand open carry

tattedupboy

Whether it's legal or not, if you the possibility of getting arrested for it or a bunch of man with gun calls to 911 is high, why bother doing it? This would be no different from a woman who walks around naked outside her house on a regular basis wondering what she did to deserve getting raped. Sure it may be your right to do so and it may technically be legal, but be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TheQ

Whether it's legal or not, if you the possibility of getting arrested for it or a bunch of man with gun calls to 911 is high, why bother doing it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ppl in Michigan said the same thing about OC 5 years ago.

Raggs

look back at DrTodd's posts. If you think it makes you look stupid and yet you continue to post...

Ah, so you brought up an idiotic topic just for fun. Got it. The OC community thanks you for dragging us collectively down. Why not start a thread asking if its legal to duct tape a holstered pistol to your head while wearing a chicken suit next. It's "just hypothetical", no harm in discussing it right? It won't make us look stupid.

Care to point out where in this thread IHOC was cited to be legal? I see where it was cited to not be concealed carry. You've made a complete 180 from asking if it's legal to SAYING it's legal. Explain?

HearseGuy

threadfailure-vi_zps8095489b.png

Wheew!!! I got tears in my eyes fellas haha!!!

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
OK, Raggs; I believe you got the answer you were looking for- let me know when it's OK to delete this cluster bomb.

Michigander

Post responsibly and with the good of the forum in mind.

My thoughts exactly. There is nothing wrong with thoroughly understanding all the what if's, even if obscure and unrealistic.

I do badly miss the era of this forum when it was almost universally comprised of serious patriots who were not afraid to responsibly go against the grain.

We've gained a lot through this forum, but this thread is also a great example of what this forum, indeed the entire open carry community, has lost as a result.

Evil Creamsicle

My thoughts exactly. There is nothing wrong with thoroughly understanding all the what if's, even if obscure and unrealistic.

I do badly miss the era of this forum when it was almost universally comprised of serious patriots who were not afraid to responsibly go against the grain.

We've gained a lot through this forum, but this thread is also a great example of what this forum, indeed the entire open carry community, has lost as a result.

+1

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Although my first impression was that this thread was started to rehash sordid history, upon further thought I felt it did deserve a discussion. Are there times that one could find this information useful without the possibility of such behavior being deemed illegal? Well, I'm here to say there definately is... at least in the fall when I squirrel hunt with my .22 (Heritage Revolver) or when I hit the woods in November with my .44mag Redhawk for bigger game. Since hunting is listed specifically as an exception to a charge of "Brandishing", I saw a reason why law abiding individuals may need this information. Was Raggs intentionally "poking a hornets nest"? Perhaps. But this does not negate the appropriateness of knowing the applicability of the law in certain, very specific circumstances.

In general, as has been stated in a previous post, this forum should stay as close as possible to advocating for the open carrying of a properly holstered handgun. However, despite belief to the contrary, there may be very limited circumstances where knowing the legality of IHOC is warranted. But, by doing so a charge of "brandishing" may be sustained if it falls within the aforementioned definition. But one's guilt or innocence would need to be decided by a court of law.

If someone chose to follow Ragg's example, and it were given to a jury to decide, you most certainly hope that they feel open carry in such a manner is benign.

However, with many of the comments by both "antis" and supposed "2A supporters" I see regarding OCing a properly holstered handgun, let alone carrying a handgun in one's hand, I wouldn't expect a positive outcome.

Last edited: