• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheleno's Mexican Restaurant - Del City, No Open Carry Sign

woodyrr

I am new to this forum.

I have been a regular at the Del City Cheleno's for over a decade. About a month ago, I stopped by for my usual dinner to find all of the entrances posted with new gunbusters signs that say "No open carry weapons permitted". I have a long standing policy of not patronizing establishments with gunbusters signs unless there is absolutely no alternative. I sent them a message on facebook and they replied thanking me for my patronage and saying they understood. I have since found someplace better to eat so it is a win - win for both of us.

I was reading the thread about no guns at the Melting Pot where the owner decided to replace the total prohibition with an open carry prohibition. I realize that's progress. I am wondering if those who post here find that an acceptable alternative and start patronizing those establishments again. I find any gunbusters sign so offensive, I can't bring myself to sit on the back side of one regardless of the fine print.

Robert318

What a shame, my wife loves Chelenos, and the last time we ate there I was open carrying and nothing was said and got better than usual service and even tipped good! I don't agree with any type of gun buster sign whether cc or oc, why should I compromise because some people are scared of an inanimate object in the possession of an LAC, quite frankly not only is that offensive to me that someone projects upon me I'm a bad guy because I carry a gun in the open but it pisses me off that they can be so selfish to think their emotions are more important than my safety! If I am ocing and my attire would not adequately cover my gun then I would just have to disarm.

I don't see a no oc sign as a win I see it as a loss, and will take my money elsewhere! A no oc sign is still catering to the ignorant and emotional bias based fear that the site of a gun is so bad that it justifies infringing on ones right to carry no matter how they chose to do so.:banghead:

Imo a no oc sign is just as bad as a no carry sign because it will most likely never come down because the anti's see it as a justifiable compromise, "You can still carry but we just don't want to see it so what's wrong with that, it's a win win". No it's not it is still infringing on ones right to not only exercise a natural right but a legal one!:cuss::banghead:

bushwacker

i'm from tx but when i am in okc area i visit my brother and we like to eat there . the other week we went there and seen that sign so i told my brother lets go some where else so we went next door to the itallian joint .. they have really good food there they seem to have no problem with my 1911 on my hip ,celenos seen us diviate to next door ,maybe you and some open carriers should get together and make a group reservation at celenos and when ya'll show up open carrying stop at door call them a say sorry but we have to cancel ,we didn't know about your sign and then head next door make sure they see their business going next door for the best effect

Keylock

Better food at Casa Juanita on SE29th and Vickie. My wife loves their frozen margaritas. :)

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I am new to this forum.

I have been a regular at the Del City Cheleno's for over a decade. About a month ago, I stopped by for my usual dinner to find all of the entrances posted with new gunbusters signs that say "No open carry weapons permitted". I have a long standing policy of not patronizing establishments with gunbusters signs unless there is absolutely no alternative. I sent them a message on facebook and they replied thanking me for my patronage and saying they understood. I have since found someplace better to eat so it is a win - win for both of us.

I was reading the thread about no guns at the Melting Pot where the owner decided to replace the total prohibition with an open carry prohibition. I realize that's progress. I am wondering if those who post here find that an acceptable alternative and start patronizing those establishments again. I find any gunbusters sign so offensive, I can't bring myself to sit on the back side of one regardless of the fine print.

They went no carry on Nov 1, this is an improvement after a metric ton of people sent emails and stopped eating there. I don't have a problem with their choice, but I choose to eat at Milagros or Teds where they allow any method of carry that is legal.

woodyrr

They went no carry on Nov 1,

This is interesting to note. I had been eating at the Del City Cheleno's location every Saturday for eons and that location was never posted against any type of carry until I made my usual visit on February 2. Had that location had a gunbusters sign on Nov 1, I would have jumped ship back then.

There have been times, when events are going on, when I was one of only a few people in there and the waitstaff was bored. They will be even more bored on the next game day or whatever.

I was reading the "experiences" post and noticed someone carried into Langston's in the Stockyards. I wrote a letter to Langston's and wrote them off back when concealed carry became law and they slapped on a gunbusters sign. Does anyone know if their policy has changed? There is a Langston's in Midwest City but I can't remember if it is posted or not - there is no need for me to find out since, as the case is with Cheleno's I found alternatives.

Keylock

The Langstons at the Stockyards wasn't posted the last time I went there about two months ago.

gprod55

Langstons in Midwest City is not posted. I went in there to purchase some coveralls for my grandson and openly carried with nary a word said.

Bullbuster

Langstons in Midwest City is not posted. I went in there to purchase some coveralls for my grandson and openly carried with nary a word said.

I was in there about 2 weeks ago to buy a few new pairs of wrangles. I was CCing as I had a jacket on. The lady who assisted me asked why I was buying them 2 sizes larger in the waist. When I said I carried she thought it was cool and said her husband did too. Never asked if I was carrying at the time and never said anything more about it.

woodyrr

Thanks for the update. When I was a kid, we bought almost all of my clothes at Langston's. When the concealed carry law was passed and they went all gunbusters, I found other places for jeans and boots and stuff. Since they have apparently had a change of heart, maybe I should give them a second chance. The Midwest City store is supposed to be relocating to the space being vacated by Michaels. If they don't post, I'll spend some cash there.

Edited to add: This is the risk that businesses take when they put up gunbusters signs. Good, honest, clientele they have cultivated and served for years change their buying habits and when the businesses reevaluate their policies, they have been forgotten about.

Last edited:

audiophile

If you are looking for good Mexican Food in the Mid-Del area, Los Vequeros and Montery Jack's on Air Depot are both CC and OC friendly. I also believe that the Poblano Grill on Douglas is 2A friendly as well (at least they used to be).

woodyrr

When Cheleno's put up the sign, I considered Monterrey Jacks, Los Vasqueros, and Poblano. I tried Monterrey Jacks first and found the food better than Cheleno's and found a waiter that learned my preferences and habits so I am good with them as long as they don't go off the deep end and post.

OldCurlyWolf

They went no carry on Nov 1, this is an improvement after a metric ton of people sent emails and stopped eating there. I don't have a problem with their choice, but I choose to eat at Milagros or Teds where they allow any method of carry that is legal.

Milagros is my favorite. Their food is better and so is the attitude of the management. Besides , I only live 2 miles from Milagros.
:cool: