• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police bust Myth on "High Capacity" magazine ban.

MP_4_Life

Hey guys. Amazingly I've found a few decent videos disproving the whole, "Smaller magazine makes us safer" campaign that's been going on. yet this one stuck out massively. It appears to be a Sheriff's department or something along that lines, taking the myth and disproving it with both trained and untrained types using both AR-15's and Glocks, then throws revolvers in the mix. It's 14 minutes, but I think everyone would find it a nice source of material for future arguments or debates about "Gun Control."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ109iYdrI8

JoeSparky

Centurion
I am still trying to figure out how "Jim" was faster shooting both the semi auto pistol and the AR-15 with the mag change (10round mags X2) than he was firing the same number of total shots (single 20 round mag) WITHOUT a mag change!

MP_4_Life

I am still trying to figure out how "Jim" was faster shooting both the semi auto pistol and the AR-15 with the mag change (10round mags X2) than he was firing the same number of total shots (single 20 round mag) WITHOUT a mag change!

If you pay attention to his shooting, he's obviously holding back imho. During the 2 10 round mags, he would fire a few shots quickly, not sure if aimed or not, but he rapid fires 2-3 rounds.

elga

If you pay attention to his shooting, he's obviously holding back imho. During the 2 10 round mags, he would fire a few shots quickly, not sure if aimed or not, but he rapid fires 2-3 rounds.

Agreed, but I think that's in his head - in other words, knowing he has to reload halfway, he's going to be pulling the trigger faster. Knowing he doesn't have to reload, he doesn't have to worry about it. It's probably adrenaline + anticipation of the reload causing the faster trigger pull - though I'm just guessing here, as he seems to be an experienced shooter. He was still on target with all of them, reload or not.

Bottom line, the magazine capacity restrictions are a terrible idea and won't reduce violence.

MP_4_Life

Agreed, but I think that's in his head - in other words, knowing he has to reload halfway, he's going to be pulling the trigger faster. Knowing he doesn't have to reload, he doesn't have to worry about it. It's probably adrenaline + anticipation of the reload causing the faster trigger pull - though I'm just guessing here, as he seems to be an experienced shooter. He was still on target with all of them, reload or not.

Bottom line, the magazine capacity restrictions are a terrible idea and won't reduce violence.

Exactly so, but even with them disproving all the hype the control people are talking about, I like the note at the end. It just adds further proof that control won't help, because there are already millions of "High Capacity" Magazines on the street.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Hey, its just a youtube video... lol

+1 your a dead eye ...

arentol

I think Christy was a much better example of what would happen in real life. Jim was inconsistent, making him a bad example of the change in performance, though he was a great example of near-optimal performance.

I am also not the hugest fan of the extra magazines being on the barrel in front of the shooter. They should have more closely simulated a real active shooter magazine carry method so as not to give the anti's something to use to dismiss this video as irrelevant/incorrect.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I think Christy was a much better example of what would happen in real life. Jim was inconsistent, making him a bad example of the change in performance, though he was a great example of near-optimal performance. .

And he did not yell any obscenities like "I told your :cuss: mother-in-law to leave by NOON, now feel the BURN !!!!" .. ya know, typical shooting talk

Aknazer

Most likely this. When I was in BMT I had a faulty mag that always jammed on the second round. The instructors told me to deal with it because they wouldn't give me another one and that I still needed to stay within the time limit if I wanted expert even though I had a faulty mag. So I rushed my shots whenever I used that mag in order to have enough time to deal with the impending jam. Being timed he likely did the same thing.