• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Juvenile Charge holdup on gun purchase

stichaml

Hi all! I am looking for a bit of advice - people who have had this problem, can shed some light on the process to take now.... As a juvenile, I had a felony charge. I was never convicted and the case was dismissed.
Now - 14 years later, I have purchased guns from dealers, gone to Canada, hunted out of state etc etc. I was denied a handgun purchase and the reasoning given on the NICS paperwork is 1999 felony conviction. NOT SO!
I have paperwork from the uveile court showing the case dismissed and plan to appeal.
Can anyone shed light on why this is a "thing" now? And advice for appealing?
I have heard I should do paperwork to restore my gun rights, then seal the juvenile record - but why should I have to reinstate gun rights when as far as I can see I shouldn't have had them taken in the first place?
Thanks

eye95

The government screws up and has no profit motive to correct its mistakes (or even not make them) to keep its "customers" happy.

Just do the appeal and realize that this is one more example of why there should not be NICS checks and why the government is the worst group of people to do anything except that which ONLY government can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

stichaml

no kidding! I know the appeal will go through - I guess I should wait to be sure then decide whether I need to restore my gun rights? .... beyond irritating