Thread: SB0142 by Ramsey - FLOOR VOTE: PASSAGE ON THIRD CONSIDERATION 2/28/2013

State Researcher

SB0142 by Ramsey - FLOOR VOTE: PASSAGE ON THIRD CONSIDERATION 2/28/2013

This is what we have been after for over four years. This bill has the liberal newspapers pretty upset today!!!
    Passed
    Ayes.............................................. .72
    Noes.............................................. .22
    Democrats tried to attach amendments 2 through 13 but they all were tabled.

Amendment No. 11 to HB0118
    Fitzhugh
    Signature of Sponsor
    AMEND S enate Bill No. 142 House Bill No. 118*
    HA0045
    -1-
    by adding the following new section immediately preceding the last section and by renumbering
    the subsequent section accordingly:
    SECTION ___. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39-17-1313, is amended by
    adding the following language as a new appropriately designated subsection:
    ( ) This section shall not apply to a parking lot associated with any public
    or private elementary school, institution of higher education, vocational or
    technical center, preschool, or daycare. Any parking lot associated with such a
    school or institution shall be subject to prohibition of the possession of weapons if
    the prohibition is posted by the property owner, operator, or manager or the
    person in control of such property, pursuant to 39-17-1359.

The above mentioned Amendment #11 has to do with parking areas at schools and universities.. It was tabled
    Last edited by RickTN; 02-28-2013 at 05:00 PM.

State Researcher
    Go to http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/Bill...lNumber=HB0118 and read all of the tabled amendments listed under the Amendments on bill tab

Here are the issues I have with this piece of legislation: It does not prevent your employer from searching your car, finding the weapon, and firing you on the spot. It does not prevent businesses from banning the firearm on their property, even if you have it in the trunk.
    Not very effective.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HvyMtl View Post
    Here are the issues I have with this piece of legislation: It does not prevent your employer from searching your car, finding the weapon, and firing you on the spot. It does not prevent businesses from banning the firearm on their property, even if you have it in the trunk.
    Not very effective.
    Some folks think that a public business can make an employee do anything it wants on their property ... I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Some folks think that a public business can make an employee do anything it wants on their property ... I disagree
    I'm curious what you mean by "public" business? Whether open to the public or private, if it's private property they CAN make employees abide by their policies. Are you referring to a business that's on public property? or simply a private business open to the public? There's a difference.