• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB0142 by Ramsey - FLOOR VOTE: PASSAGE ON THIRD CONSIDERATION 2/28/2013

RickTN

State Researcher
This is what we have been after for over four years. This bill has the liberal newspapers pretty upset today!!!
Passed
Ayes...............................................72
Noes...............................................22
Democrats tried to attach amendments 2 through 13 but they all were tabled.

Amendment No. 11 to HB0118
Fitzhugh
Signature of Sponsor
AMEND S enate Bill No. 142 House Bill No. 118*
HA0045
-1-
by adding the following new section immediately preceding the last section and by renumbering
the subsequent section accordingly:
SECTION ___. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39-17-1313, is amended by
adding the following language as a new appropriately designated subsection:
( ) This section shall not apply to a parking lot associated with any public
or private elementary school, institution of higher education, vocational or
technical center, preschool, or daycare. Any parking lot associated with such a
school or institution shall be subject to prohibition of the possession of weapons if
the prohibition is posted by the property owner, operator, or manager or the
person in control of such property, pursuant to § 39-17-1359.

The above mentioned Amendment #11 has to do with parking areas at schools and universities.. It was tabled

Last edited:

HvyMtl

Here are the issues I have with this piece of legislation: It does not prevent your employer from searching your car, finding the weapon, and firing you on the spot. It does not prevent businesses from banning the firearm on their property, even if you have it in the trunk.
Not very effective.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Here are the issues I have with this piece of legislation: It does not prevent your employer from searching your car, finding the weapon, and firing you on the spot. It does not prevent businesses from banning the firearm on their property, even if you have it in the trunk.
Not very effective.

Some folks think that a public business can make an employee do anything it wants on their property ... I disagree

SgtScott31

Some folks think that a public business can make an employee do anything it wants on their property ... I disagree

I'm curious what you mean by "public" business? Whether open to the public or private, if it's private property they CAN make employees abide by their policies. Are you referring to a business that's on public property? or simply a private business open to the public? There's a difference.