Thread: Parker Colo Law???

Parker Colo Law???

Was at COSTCO Parker today because a freind told me about a sign there, it Reads:

SEC 5.02.890 c

1. Warning: Parker Police must be notified of all distubances in this Establishment and on the grounds which are part of this Establishment.

2. Warning: A mandatory fine of 999.00 and improsonment up to 1 year may be levied on any person convicted of carrying or possesing any dangerous or deadly weapon including firearms or knives with over three and a half inch blade into or onto any public property and any organized public gathering or any establishment licensed for the sale of alcoholic or fermented malt beverages.

I looked it up and sure enough there is a Parker Colo statute that says this very thing

SOOOO in Parker, any public property, public gathering, or any place that sales alcohol ie Walmart, King Supers, 7-11, liqour stores is off limits to any form of carry

Under preemption is this not illegal????

Quote Originally Posted by cch10000 View Post
    Was at COSTCO Parker today because a freind told me about a sign there, it Reads:

SEC 5.02.890 c

1. Warning: Parker Police must be notified of all distubances in this Establishment and on the grounds which are part of this Establishment.

2. Warning: A mandatory fine of 999.00 and improsonment up to 1 year may be levied on any person convicted of carrying or possesing any dangerous or deadly weapon including firearms or knives with over three and a half inch blade into or onto any public property and any organized public gathering or any establishment licensed for the sale of alcoholic or fermented malt beverages.

I looked it up and sure enough there is a Parker Colo statute that says this very thing

SOOOO in Parker, any public property, public gathering, or any place that sales alcohol ie Walmart, King Supers, 7-11, liqour stores is off limits to any form of carry

Under preemption is this not illegal????
    Hey, we went through this when I first started. Same sign at Chilli's. Check the thread here:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1762953

And on.

Thought I had read about every thread on here but I missed that somehow

Still don't like the wording of that statute, One could be harrassed almost legally at Parker days for OC and spend a lot of time and money to win the court battle over preemption

Quote Originally Posted by cch10000 View Post
    Thought I had read about every thread on here but I missed that somehow

Still don't like the wording of that statute, One could be harrassed almost legally at Parker days for OC and spend a lot of time and money to win the court battle over preemption
    I won't argue that. IF taken to be that way by a LEO in Parker, it could get ugly. But I don't think they think that way. However, I wonder how you go about it.

I don't technically live in the city limits.

I go about it like I do in every day business, Like I don't have a firearm and like it doesn't even matter, The way it shouild be done

Parker Colo Law???

Where's the sign at? I've been at that Costco many a time, even while carrying, and I've never seen it.

by the liquor dept right side of the door, and if you frequent costco they are very unfreindly to gun owners so you may want to direct your dollars elsewhere
    Last edited by cch10000; 02-28-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Parker Colo Law???

That's interesting. If you read the ordinance, it looks like they're required to post a sign like that, yet I've never seen it at any other liquor store:

(c) Each licensee shall post and keep at all times visible to the public in a conspicuous place on the premises, signs to be furnished by the Town Clerk's office, which signs shall be in the following forms:
    (1) "Warning! Parker police must be notified of all disturbances in this establishment and on the grounds which are part of this establishment."
    (2) "Warning! A mandatory fine of nine hundred ninety-nine dollars ($999.00) and imprisonment of up to one (1) year may be levied on any person convicted of carrying or possessing any dangerous or deadly weapon, including firearms or knives with over three-and- one-half-inch blades, into or onto any public property, any organized public gathering, or any establishment licensed for the sale of alcoholic or fermented malt beverages.
    The husband of the lady who does my taxes is on the town council. I'll have a chat with them when I have my taxes done.

I as well saw no other signs at the many Liquor stores I stopped at,

Howdy Pardner!
    I don't give a rat's patoot about municipal ordinances such as this. It is nothing more than a paper tiger intended to intimidate the law abiding citizen, and is preempted by state law:

CRS 29-11.7-103. Regulation - type of firearm - prohibited.
    A local government may not enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, or possess under state or federal law. Any such ordinance, regulation, or other law enacted by a local government prior to March 18, 2003, is void and unenforceable.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Parker Colo Law???

I presume that as a national organization, they have a policy of complying with all local laws and ordinances, and they posted the sign just to be in compliance.

It's not costco's problem that the ordinance is preempted by state law, and posting the sign isn't actively banned by state law.