• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello new here

The Big Guy

Hello all Darry from Las Vegas ..new to all this still looking for my first gun....good info

I was thinking of this one for my first ....what u guys think

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57752_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I'm not a big fan of the 9 mil, but then I'm a revolver kind of guy anyway. I would think it's hard to go wrong with S&W in any form. There are people on here that are very knowledgeable in in autos and most likely will give you some much better opinons and insights than mine.

Welcome to the forum and hope to hear more from you.

TBG

P.S. there seems to be a number of reviews for it on youtube.

Last edited:

Bmeierholtz

Welcome to the forum. Pull up an easy chair and make yourself at home.
Like TBG, I am basically a revolver guy, but have shot several of the type you are considering. My first thought is that no matter what type of handgun you buy, go out and also buy yourself a gunsmith manual on that particular gun, down to the model number. By doing so, you will have the knowledge at hand to tell when the gun is not working quite as it should. Not saying you should try taking on the job of a gunsmith, but it is nice to be able to tell one pretty much what the problem is should the need arise. This book will also tell you how to correctly take it apart and clean it properly. These type guns do not like dirt, period. Well cared for, these guns will do what ever is asked of them.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There is a reason for the price point of that pistol. It is cheap in more ways than one. That said, it works! I've shot them. They have a LOUSY trigger pull, but they are as reliable as any other quality brand semi-automatic. They (originally called the Sigma) were very close copies of Glock's design, enough to where they were sued and lost for patent infringement.

If you are on a tight budget, it can be on the list. For a defensive firearm, you don't need the best trigger, just a reliable sidearm. For that same money, though, also consider the Ruger P95, a traditional double-action (DA) instead of a double-action-only (DAO) design. There are lots of choices available in the used market as well.

The 9mm is very acceptable for self-defense, where stopping power is often overrated anyway. I would prefer the 9mm to the .40 in most firearms because it is so much easier to shoot it well, which is far more important than stopping power. The .40 is one of our most modern combat cartridges and therefore operates at much higher pressures and recoil. The .45 is easier to shoot for most people in most guns.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I have an SW9VE.

Good and reliable, easy to use, mushy trigger.

If you like the 9, consider a Stoeger Cougar; like a downsized M9.

I'm a big fan of the Cougar, but it's nothing like the M9 (Beretta Model 92), unless I'm totally thinking of something else (one of is, I think). I like both, but the Beretta Px4 is the copy of the Stoeger Cougar, with its rotating barrel lockup. I swear, I could FEEL how smoothly it recoiled and operated the action, compared to a typical tilting barrel lock-up, and that was in a snappy .40, too.

The Beretta Centurion is the name of their slightly compact Model 92.

Last edited:

wrightme

"Rotating"? The Stoeger cougars I handled last time I looked at them were the M9/92FS open barrel versions. Maybe they are different now.

I see photos of what you describe. I think i am living in the past. :)

Hmmm....

Maybe I was thinking of a cheetah....

Last edited:

Sp0k

I'm not a big fan of the 9 mil, but then I'm a revolver kind of guy anyway. I would think it's hard to go wrong with S&W in any form. There are people on here that are very knowledgeable in in autos and most likely will give you some much better opinons and insights than mine.

Welcome to the forum and hope to hear more from you.

TBG

P.S. there seems to be a number of reviews for it on youtube.

Welcome to the forum. Pull up an easy chair and make yourself at home.
Like TBG, I am basically a revolver guy, but have shot several of the type you are considering. My first thought is that no matter what type of handgun you buy, go out and also buy yourself a gunsmith manual on that particular gun, down to the model number. By doing so, you will have the knowledge at hand to tell when the gun is not working quite as it should. Not saying you should try taking on the job of a gunsmith, but it is nice to be able to tell one pretty much what the problem is should the need arise. This book will also tell you how to correctly take it apart and clean it properly. These type guns do not like dirt, period. Well cared for, these guns will do what ever is asked of them.

There is a reason for the price point of that pistol. It is cheap in more ways than one. That said, it works! I've shot them. They have a LOUSY trigger pull, but they are as reliable as any other quality brand semi-automatic. They (originally called the Sigma) were very close copies of Glock's design, enough to where they were sued and lost for patent infringement.

If you are on a tight budget, it can be on the list. For a defensive firearm, you don't need the best trigger, just a reliable sidearm. For that same money, though, also consider the Ruger P95, a traditional double-action (DA) instead of a double-action-only (DAO) design. There are lots of choices available in the used market as well.

The 9mm is very acceptable for self-defense, where stopping power is often overrated anyway. I would prefer the 9mm to the .40 in most firearms because it is so much easier to shoot it well, which is far more important than stopping power. The .40 is one of our most modern combat cartridges and therefore operates at much higher pressures and recoil. The .45 is easier to shoot for most people in most guns.

Thanks all will do...have a lot of reading to do....:lol:

TrmptPlyr

Welcome, I'm a new comer here as well... One thing I would suggest is to find a range and rent the gun you want to buy if at all possible... What looks good on paper and feels good in hand while at a gun store may be your least favorite when you start sending bullets down range... I personally like the feel of the trigger on a single action like the 1911 far better than any double action I've ever handled... Maybe it's because I started with bolt action rifles, but the crisp trigger break gives me much more positive control than a double action that gives resistance on the first (or all) pulls while it draws the hammer back. Until you've shot a lot, it's hard to judge what you like best. If you're looking for a firearm for self defense, having something you're truly comfortable with that feels very natural to you will help you handle it in a stressful situation with less effort, which could make the difference between life and death... Both yours, and that of family or other innocent bystanders... Just my 2¢

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
The Cougars are nice guns.

They are similar stylistically to the Beretta 92 and similar with controls, but in many ways they are very different designs. I think both designs are awesome, however.

The magazines are not interchangeable because the magazine slot is cut in a different spot. The 92FS uses a recoil system like the Walther P38 whereas the Cougar and the PX4 use a rotating barrel system. The cougar is more compact than the 92, but there is actually also a 92 compact if you wanted a true compact version of the model 92. The centurion has a shorter slide, but there is also the 92 Compact which has the shorter slide and a shorter grip. And then to complicate it further, there is the 92 Compact type M which is single stack instead of double stack for a thinner grip.

Beretta released the Cougar in 9mm, .357 sig, .45ACP, and .40 S&W. Then, they came out with the PX4, which is VERY similar in design to the cougar other than the polymer frame and different styling, and again, different magazines. I like the metal and the styling on the Cougar better, myself. When Beretta came out with the PX4, they sent all the machinery to make the Cougar to Stoeger in Turkey. Stoeger is a wholly owned subsidiary of Beretta.

The cougar (and the PX4) can be changed to decock only without changing major parts, whereas the 92 would require 92G slide or some machining.

Even though the Cougar is more compact than the 92, there is a compact version of the Cougar too. Beretta called it the mini-cougar, and the Stoeger calls it a Cougar Compact.

I bought a Stoeger Cougar. I found it, like my Beretta 92FS, to be a fantastic gun. My friend liked the Cougar so much though, that I let him have it since I didn't need two 9mms.

I think the Stoeger Cougar is one of the best values on the market. I got it for $350 and that was for the version with an accessory rail. And as far as I can tell, it's just as nice as my 92 and I think I maybe even shot it a little better.

But with the market the way it is, good luck finding one!

There might have been another gun Beretta made a long time ago that carried the "cougar" name, before they made the current Cougar, which might have had an open slide like the 92FS, but I'm not sure. If there was, I think it was a straight blowback design in a smaller caliber. If there was a Beretta that was at one time called a Cougar before the current Cougar, I think that might be a relatively uncommon gun. But that would have had the Beretta name, I think, rather than Stoeger. More common is the Beretta Cheetah, which also has an open slide. There was also the older Beretta 70 which I think was called the Puma. Pumas and Cougars are real similar cats, as far as the hissing variety goes.

Last edited:

MP_4_Life

Hello all Darry from Las Vegas ..new to all this still looking for my first gun....good info

I was thinking of this one for my first ....what u guys think

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57752_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Hey Darry, welcome to the forum. As a starter pistol it's a great deal but I highly advise against this one. I actually bought that same model one time, the weapon is overall great but it takes a lot of trigger pull strength and a long pull. I think it's not very friendly without modifying the trigger for any shooter, let alone a beginner.

28kfps

I carry a Springfield bi-tone XDM 4.5” 40S&W W/ Stainless Steel Finish. I really like the trigger pull. Standard Mag holds 16. I am able to conceal the full size firearm. Comes in 9mm. Full size helps with shoot ability of the 40cal.