• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private school or Business???

45xds

I came to this forum seeking some advice into getting a better understanding of the rights of gun owners in Oklahoma. I attend a school/business in Oklahoma that has recently had a incident in which 4 individuals were shoot and one was killed. Please forgive me in advance as I am not 100% sure exactly how to explain this. I am under the impression that while this place is where I go for what some would consider school, It is actually a business and was recently sold as a LLC less than 3 months ago. My main concern/question is how would I go about by proving that this place is indeed a business and not a school and is this kind of set up even possible. Is it possible to be a business and a school at the same time? If it possible to be a school/business at the same time what laws would this place fall under then? I am simply wanting to have my firearm in my locked truck on the property because of the shooting and the fact that I have a HCP and carry where ever I go within the law. This is a very odd situation and I have not been able to find a whole lot of information on this. If you have questions please feel free to ask and I will answer them to the best of my ability. I hope that I explained this in a somewhat understandable way. Thanks for any help in advance.

Robert318

Maybe this will help.

TITLE 21 § 1280.1 POSSESSION OF FIREARM ON SCHOOL PROPERTY

B. "School property" means any publicly or privately owned property held for purposes of elementary, secondary or vocational technical education, and shall not include property owned by public school districts or private educational entities where such property is leased or rented to an individual or corporation and used for purposes other than educational.

TITLE 21 § 1277 UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES

D. No person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be authorized to carry the handgun into or upon any college, university, or technology center school property, except as provided in this subsection. For purposes of this subsection, the following property shall not be construed as prohibited for persons having a valid handgun license:
1. Any property set aside for the use or parking of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, provided the handgun is carried or stored as required by law and the handgun is not removed from the vehicle without the prior consent of the college or university president or technology center school administrator while the vehicle is on any college, university, or technology center school property;

If it is not an elementary, jr high or high school, vo-tech, technology center, or college, then no worries.

You can store a firearm in a vehicle on colleges, universities and tech centers only but not carry on the premises outside of the vehicle.

You can only carry in a vehicle on elementary, secondary schools, or vo-techs, just to drop off or pick up a student and not leave the vehicle unattended.

I'm not a lawyer but this is my understanding of the law.

Here is a link for your own reference.
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2012.pdf

Last edited:

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I came to this forum seeking some advice into getting a better understanding of the rights of gun owners in Oklahoma. I attend a school/business in Oklahoma that has recently had a incident in which 4 individuals were shoot and one was killed. Please forgive me in advance as I am not 100% sure exactly how to explain this. I am under the impression that while this place is where I go for what some would consider school, It is actually a business and was recently sold as a LLC less than 3 months ago. My main concern/question is how would I go about by proving that this place is indeed a business and not a school and is this kind of set up even possible. Is it possible to be a business and a school at the same time? If it possible to be a school/business at the same time what laws would this place fall under then? I am simply wanting to have my firearm in my locked truck on the property because of the shooting and the fact that I have a HCP and carry where ever I go within the law. This is a very odd situation and I have not been able to find a whole lot of information on this. If you have questions please feel free to ask and I will answer them to the best of my ability. I hope that I explained this in a somewhat understandable way. Thanks for any help in advance.

What is the nature of this school? Is it Spartan Aeronautics? I'm not clear on whether that would be considered a technology center school, but I believe that those are a very specific entity.

Clearly, it's legal to leave your firearm in your locked car in the parking lot. Not so sure after that.

45xds

What is the nature of this school? Is it Spartan Aeronautics? I'm not clear on whether that would be considered a technology center school, but I believe that those are a very specific entity.

Clearly, it's legal to leave your firearm in your locked car in the parking lot. Not so sure after that.

Yes, it is Spartan Aeronautics. If it fell under the tech center school it would still be covered under titlle 21 1277 from what I have read so far... I think that my question of whether or not I could leave my gun in my truck while attending class has been answered thank you both for your replies. This all came about after a conversation happened today in which one of my class mates asked about having his gun in his truck and the director or whatever you want to call him said that this was illegal and ended the conversation right there. The whole school or business thing came from me not reading title 21 1277. Once again thank you both and I may have a discussion with the president of the college/tech center/business about this next week. I will keep you updated.

Last edited:

Okie34

To answer the question, Spartan School or Aeronautics is considered a Vocational Technical School. The answer lies within the School accreditation. Most (if not all) Vo-Tech's in the State of Oklahoma are privately or corporate owned schools, but still fall within the guidelines stated in TITLE 21 § 1280.1.

Hope that helps.

45xds

This is what I pulled off their website:

Spartan College of Aeronautics and Technology is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges
2101 Wilson Blvd., Suite 302
Arlington, VA 22201
(703) 247-4212
Our aviation school is licensed by the Oklahoma Board of Private Vocational Schools. Programs are approved by the Oklahoma State Accrediting Agency for Veterans (GI Bill). The Aviation Maintenance Technology Program is approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (Air Agency Certificate No. DF2S766K for Flight and Certificate No. CB9T054R for Aviation Maintenance). Spartan is authorized under federal law to enroll eligible international students.
Spartan is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) and is authorized to offer Associate of Applied Science Degrees with Majors in Aviation Maintenance Technology, Avionics Maintenance Technology, Quality Control and a Bachelor of Science Degree.

Sorry about the long post but this is getting more confusing the more and more I look into things. If anybody has any answers feel free to chime in. I am just trying to figure out what your opinions are on the situation that I have described above. Thanks again for any help

Last edited:

Aknazer

To piggy-back on this thread, what would they consider a home used for home-schooling? Since it would be privately owned property being used for elementary schooling.

okiebryan

To piggy-back on this thread, what would they consider a home used for home-schooling? Since it would be privately owned property being used for elementary schooling.

Home schooling your own kids? Not a school. You could open carry if you wanted without a license. Heck, you could have an AR slung over your shoulder. It's your property, or at least property you legally control if you rent. But not a school for the purposes of prohibited places.

I am not a lawyer, and I have never seen a court case on this. But seriously, could you imagine the media shitstorm that would ensue if a DA tried to go here?

Aknazer

Home schooling your own kids? Not a school. You could open carry if you wanted without a license. Heck, you could have an AR slung over your shoulder. It's your property, or at least property you legally control if you rent. But not a school for the purposes of prohibited places.

I am not a lawyer, and I have never seen a court case on this. But seriously, could you imagine the media shitstorm that would ensue if a DA tried to go here?

Ya I don't think it would go over well, but because of the bolded bit below:

...privately owned property held for purposes of elementary, secondary or vocational technical education, ...

I could see a gun grabber in the future trying to say that since I'm using my house (privately owned property) for purposes of "elementary education" that under the law I can't have guns at the house.

okiebryan

Ya I don't think it would go over well, but because of the bolded bit below:

I could see a gun grabber in the future trying to say that since I'm using my house (privately owned property) for purposes of "elementary education" that under the law I can't have guns at the house.

The primary purpose of your home is... your home. There is zero chance that any DA in this state would interpret a home where you happen to teach things to your own kids to be a prohibited place under sec 1277 etc...

Oh, and a gun grabber "trying to say" that they want a pink pony with silver ribbons in the tail and mane would be just about as effective as them "trying to say" that your home is a prohibited place.

Aknazer

The primary purpose of your home is... your home. There is zero chance that any DA in this state would interpret a home where you happen to teach things to your own kids to be a prohibited place under sec 1277 etc...

Oh, and a gun grabber "trying to say" that they want a pink pony with silver ribbons in the tail and mane would be just about as effective as them "trying to say" that your home is a prohibited place.

Oh, I'm more thinking "down the road" than currently. After all, I hear CO used to be a far more gun-friendly state before certain people started moving east and look at the fighting going on there now. Fix a "potential" issue now, rather than waiting until it becomes an issue and one has to fight to fix it.