• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hopkinsville Chief denied citizen to bear arms in police station

self preservation

Clear 65.870 violation. I had a similiar situation a few months back with taking an openly carried gun into my local PD. The guy should have walked on in and taken the arrest. Anyone up for an OC meet at Hopkinsville city hall?

Last edited:

09jisaac

Clear 65.870 violation. I had a similiar situation a few months back with taking an openly carried gun into my local PD. The guy should have walked on in and taken the arrest. Anyone up for an OC meet at Hopkinsville city hall?

If you're carpooling I don't mind. If I had the money for the gas then I would be there today.

DamonK

If memory serves, that isn't all that far from Ft. Campbell. So it's not all that surprising that they would just make up laws. That's what we are trained to do in the Army as NCOs. "If you're not right, you assert yourself till you are right" was what we were taught back in the day. And that was at Ft. Campbell.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

langzaiguy

I emailed the police chief and the city attorney about this unfortunate event. It should be interesting to see their response (if any).

self preservation

The more I read 65.870 and watch this video, wouldn't this Chief be guilty of official misconduct? He did restrict OC in a city building. He threatened arrest in his big, mean, scary cop voice. If so, here is your chance, Gutshot, to make an example. We may just need to try to get in touch with the victim and gently urge him to file suit.

Cottonbaler

I will send letters as well. This is a clear violation of 65.870. And what's the document that states a firearm is not concealed if it is simply not visible from a particular angle? One of the OAG opinions?

Then there's Holland v Commonwealth:

"In our state the legislature is empowered only to deny to citizens the right to carry concealed weapons. The constitutional provision is an affirmation of the faith that all men have the inherent right to arm themselves for the defense of themselves and of the state. The only limitation concerns the mode of carrying such instruments. We observe, via obiter dicta, that although a person is granted the right to carry a weapon openly, a severe penalty is imposed for carrying it concealed. If the gun is worn outside the jacket or shirt in full view, no one may question the wearer’s right so to do; but if it is carried under the jacket or shirt, the violator is subject to imprisonment for not less than two nor more than five years. The heavy emphasis, we suppose, is upon the undue advantage given to a person who is able suddenly to expose and use a weapon, although the gun itself is the vicious instrument………."

Last edited:

self preservation

Yes, it absolutely would be, but it seems that the OP is more concerned about making his own 15 sec of fame on youtube and several of the other members of this board are determined to warn the Chief of that danger so that he can fix everything before any legal action can be taken. How can you sue to force changes that have already been made? How is gutshot supposed to have this guy arrested when gutshot has no idea who the OP is, and has nothing in writing about the incident and now the Chief knows not to do this kind of stuff. Fellows, the days of calling these people and begging them to change their behavior ended on Jan. 14. Now, the proper reaction to these kinds of behavior is:

1. Keep you mouth shut about it in public.
2. If a cop says he'll arrest you for something you know to be legal, make him do it, no, insist that he do it. (This OP could have been the new Rosa Parks)
2. Secure any evidence (video, audio recordings, witness statements) get photos of any signs, get copies of any local ordinances (before they can be taken down or changed) and get names, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers of those involved.
3. Retain a lawyer, who is familiar with these kinds of cases(there aren't many) and is willing to take one without any money up front(there are even fewer and now that it has been tainted, propably none). If you don't know of one or can't find one, get hold of someone (privately) who can help (NRA, GOA, KC3). Contact a lawyer and file suit or contact someone to do that for you.

This event is now, probably, unsalvageable. If it had been handled correctly, it might have been our first big case, where a judge could be convinced that criminal charges would apply. That won't be easy unless we have a really egregious violation, like this one. What a waste.

I agree that the time for nice letters and emails for them to correct their illegal actions has far passed. The news papers and well as the local TV news has ran this "new" law story over and over in the past couple of months. I know that KLC has made this information available to to every city in KY. We have had meetings, we have wrote letters and we have sent emails. We have played the "I'm your friend and don't want you to get in trouble card" with them. Then when they still violated the law we played the "it's the law a$$hole and you will follow it" approach. I will agree that we (as a pro 2a group) did make some changes in some places with these tactics. But this video shows a person, a city official under the color of authority, that basically says "watcha gonna do bout it,boy" when we try to exercise our right to OC in a city building.

He has called our bluff. If more emails and letters is all the punishment he will receive for his illegal action, then why wouldn't he keep doing the same action over and over? I'm sure he can delete an email as well as the next guy. I'm sure he has selective hearing just like a lot of folks. No more letters...No more emails...No more meetings... It's time to take the next step. You may be correct, Gutshot. This incident may be damaged now. But...If that Chief is that arrogant one time, I'm sure he will be arrogant again. I would just about bet that we can get lightning to strike twice.

heartsglory

This happened a few days ago. It was a friend of mine that was the recorder/OC. The city attorney and mayor are aware of the incident. They have until the middle of the week before a lawsuit is the next step to apologize. He and I are sick of the harassment from the Hopkinsville PD. As I have seen his FB posts most LEO are very professional here and are told to NOT mess with anyone open carrying because of how protected it is.

self preservation

This happened a few days ago. It was a friend of mine that was the recorder/OC. The city attorney and mayor are aware of the incident. They have until the middle of the week before a lawsuit is the next step to apologize. He and I are sick of the harassment from the Hopkinsville PD. As I have seen his FB posts most LEO are very professional here and are told to NOT mess with anyone open carrying because of how protected it is.

Why is he waiting? And why isn't he a member here?

zlatkoskuljan

open carry protest hopkinsville

I Zlatko Skuljan JR will be at city hall on March the 5th to get a public apology from my police chief, I would like as many gun loving Americans that can to show up and give me support.

zlatkoskuljan

chief email plus city attorney email and mayor

Isaac, I've actually had success through my efforts in Scott Co. on having the sheriff remove his signs. I think letters outlining civil and criminal liability go somewhat far.

Preservation, I'm not 100% sure that this is the city attorney, but according to his website he is.
http://www.cotthoffandwillen.com/douglas-willen.html

The police chief seems to be Guy Howie:
ghowie@hopkinsvilleky.us

ghowie@hopkinsvilleky.us
info-mayor-cao@hopkisvileky.us
hdw@cwlaw-firm.com