• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you still carry a audio/video device with you (7 Rules for Recording)

LOERetired

Here is a link to the 7 Rules for Recording Police

[h=3]Rule #1: Know the Law (Wherever You Are)[/h][h=3]Rule #2 Don't Secretly Record Police

Rule #3: Respond to "Sh*t Cops Say"

Rule #4: Don't Share Your Video with Police

Rule #5: Prepare to be Arrested

Rule #6: Master Your Technology

Rule #7: Don't Point Your Camera Like a Gun

http://gizmodo.com/5900680/7-rules-for-recording-police[/h]

MKEgal

cowboyridn said:
Rule #2 Don't Secretly Record Police
Rule #3: Respond to "Sh*t Cops Say"
Rule #4: Don't Share Your Video with Police
I disagree with #2 & 3, and would rewrite #4 to be something like
"don't share your video with police until you're required to in a legal case".

I used a hidden camera to record some Milwaukee PD employees behaving badly, & it was very satisfying to let them lie to the judge (in sworn statements) about what happened, then (in our rebuttal filing) send a link to the video (posted privately on YouTube) showing just how badly they'd lied under oath.

I would so love to have been the proverbial fly on the wall when the city attorney saw that... proof that the people he was relying on as witnesses were lying through their teeth & blatantly ignoring state law.
:cool:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I disagree with #2 & 3, and would rewrite #4 to be something like
"don't share your video with police until you're required to in a legal case".

I used a hidden camera to record some Milwaukee PD employees behaving badly, & it was very satisfying to let them lie to the judge (in sworn statements) about what happened, then (in our rebuttal filing) send a link to the video (posted privately on YouTube) showing just how badly they'd lied under oath.

I would so love to have been the proverbial fly on the wall when the city attorney saw that... proof that the people he was relying on as witnesses were lying through their teeth & blatantly ignoring state law.
:cool:

Agree 100%...surreptious recording IS legal in Wisconsin as long as one party "consents". That is my method of recording "encounters" with anyone that is distasteful including the police.

OC for ME

never let the cops know you are wired, unless you have to tell the cops you are wired. I like surprises, especially the surprised look on a cops face when he is caught perjuring himself.