Thread: 1911 Kimber confusion

1911 Kimber confusion

Hey fellow 1911 carriers. I have been getting a lot of positive feed back from the public on mine, but I've also had just about as many ask if it's a Kimber. Now I have nothing against Kimber, they make a nice firearm. But I have a lot of pride in my Oly/Safari Arms Matchmaster. So I'm wondering, do you guys get that a lot?(asking if your's is a Kimber). Just to be clear, I'm not bashing any brands, just noticing a trend. Attached is a pic of what I typically carry. Maybe it just really looks like a Kimber, but I'm not that familiar with their stuff to know.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362160638782.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	10066  

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Kimber does a great job of advertising their production line guns and labeling them "Custom Shop", consequently some people think that any good looking 1911 must be a Kimber.

Yep get that question a lot, but thankfully mine is not. It's a 2 tone Smith & Wesson, commander size, Performance Shop Special w/CrimsonTrace grips and a hellova lot better gun than a Kim-bar
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Re: 1911 Kimber confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Kimber does a great job of advertising their production line guns and labeling them "Custom Shop", consequently some people think that any good looking 1911 must be a Kimber.

Yep get that question a lot, but thankfully mine is not. It's a 2 tone Smith & Wesson, commander size, Performance Shop Special w/CrimsonTrace grips and a hellova lot better gun than a Kim-bar
    I've actually heard some really good things about those S&W 1911s. It's on my list.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
    I've actually heard some really good things about those S&W 1911s. It's on my list.

It works as good as it looks too - never a hiccup or burp and no mim parts - as accurate as my Baer TRS.

Those are interesting magazines you have- are they 9 or 10 rds?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Re: 1911 Kimber confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    It works as good as it looks too - never a hiccup or burp and no mim parts - as accurate as my Baer TRS.

Those are interesting magazines you have- are they 9 or 10 rds?
    They are the McCormick power 10s. And they work great.

Kimber was an early pioneer in selling "custom" 1911s that came with a lot of features people were having done to their Colts after they bought them.

Now, with their extensive product line and outstanding marketing, they are a household name, and one of the first names non-1911 people think of when they see a shiny 1911.

I'm carrying a Kimber. But when I bought, I had the dealer put out the top-shelf models from S&W, Springfield, Kimber, and Colt. I tried several from each manufacturer. I chose the Kimber Custom Covert for its features, and lack of certain "features." That it was a Kimber was irrelevent, except that it would be a quality maker.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip