• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 Kimber confusion

DamonK

Hey fellow 1911 carriers. I have been getting a lot of positive feed back from the public on mine, but I've also had just about as many ask if it's a Kimber. Now I have nothing against Kimber, they make a nice firearm. But I have a lot of pride in my Oly/Safari Arms Matchmaster. So I'm wondering, do you guys get that a lot?(asking if your's is a Kimber). Just to be clear, I'm not bashing any brands, just noticing a trend. Attached is a pic of what I typically carry. Maybe it just really looks like a Kimber, but I'm not that familiar with their stuff to know.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362160638782.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362160638782.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 285

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Kimber does a great job of advertising their production line guns and labeling them "Custom Shop", consequently some people think that any good looking 1911 must be a Kimber.

Yep get that question a lot, but thankfully mine is not. It's a 2 tone Smith & Wesson, commander size, Performance Shop Special w/CrimsonTrace grips and a hellova lot better gun than a Kim-bar :p

DamonK

Kimber does a great job of advertising their production line guns and labeling them "Custom Shop", consequently some people think that any good looking 1911 must be a Kimber.

Yep get that question a lot, but thankfully mine is not. It's a 2 tone Smith & Wesson, commander size, Performance Shop Special w/CrimsonTrace grips and a hellova lot better gun than a Kim-bar :p

I've actually heard some really good things about those S&W 1911s. It's on my list.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've actually heard some really good things about those S&W 1911s. It's on my list.

It works as good as it looks too - never a hiccup or burp and no mim parts - as accurate as my Baer TRS.

Those are interesting magazines you have- are they 9 or 10 rds?

DamonK

It works as good as it looks too - never a hiccup or burp and no mim parts - as accurate as my Baer TRS.

Those are interesting magazines you have- are they 9 or 10 rds?

They are the McCormick power 10s. And they work great.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Kimber was an early pioneer in selling "custom" 1911s that came with a lot of features people were having done to their Colts after they bought them.

Now, with their extensive product line and outstanding marketing, they are a household name, and one of the first names non-1911 people think of when they see a shiny 1911.

I'm carrying a Kimber. But when I bought, I had the dealer put out the top-shelf models from S&W, Springfield, Kimber, and Colt. I tried several from each manufacturer. I chose the Kimber Custom Covert for its features, and lack of certain "features." That it was a Kimber was irrelevent, except that it would be a quality maker.