• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

JoJo, we need a translation here O_o

shastadude17

So back when I was in the academy I was doing a little flipply flip through my FSS book, and found this little gem that I had forgotten about. FSS 870.043, .044, .045, and .05... Primarily what disturbs me is .044 and .05...but perhaps I'm reading it wrong. What confuses me is despite the end of .044, there is no specific exemption for those licensed under 790.06.

Link so you don't have to go searching for what I'm talking about: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...tm&StatuteYear=2006&Title=->2006->Chapter 870

Please make some sense out of this. Oh, and slightly off subject but for all you fellers who buy Gunshine State t-shirts at neckbeard innawoods gunshows, you know we have no right to bear arms in FL right? Just making sure.

Thx JoJo.

notalawyer

So back when I was in the academy I was doing a little flipply flip through my FSS book, and found this little gem that I had forgotten about. FSS 870.043, .044, .045, and .05... Primarily what disturbs me is .044 and .05...but perhaps I'm reading it wrong. What confuses me is despite the end of .044, there is no specific exemption for those licensed under 790.06.

Link so you don't have to go searching for what I'm talking about: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...tm&StatuteYear=2006&Title=->2006->Chapter 870

Please make some sense out of this. Oh, and slightly off subject but for all you fellers who buy Gunshine State t-shirts at neckbeard innawoods gunshows, you know we have no right to bear arms in FL right? Just making sure.

Thx JoJo.

Correct, and that is by design, IMO.

They made a big deal after Katrina about protecting lawful possession, by adding this:
Nothing contained in this chapter shall be construed to authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of firearms that are lawfully possessed, unless a person is engaged in a criminal act.
Which essentially means nothing, because it is in fact a crime for anyone (except LEO or .mil) to possess a firearm in public.

spacecoast321

"you know we have no right to bear arms in FL right?"

Generally correct except for the very specific exemptions - engaging in Fishing, hunting, camping, shooting - and while going to and from the exempted activities.

Last edited:

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member

Thx JoJo.

Okay,

I apologize for the tardy response, but here's the way I see it:

"Nothing contained in this chapter shall be construed to authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of firearms that are lawfully possessed, unless a person is engaged in a criminal act."

The declaration of an emergency appears to supersede the right to carry "in public," even if you've got a CCW Permit; however, the chapter carves out an exemption for folks who have guns in their homes to not have their guns taken away (I'd assume this covers conveyances, since they are private space to a certain extent), even if there's an emergency.

I agree with notalawyer that the definitional vagueness and lack of specificity are likely by design, but nonetheless I think the message from the legislature is clear:

If there's a state of emergency and you desire to be safe and armed, be sure you've got everything you need beforehand and then "stay home." Sorry for the bummer. It is certainly one of the many things that appears to be by design.

Jojo

rvrctyrngr

Careful JoJo.

The statute is for localized acts of civil unrest (riots,etc.) It is not for general states of emergency as declared by the governor for hurricanes, etc.

shastadude17

Careful JoJo.

The statute is for localized acts of civil unrest (riots,etc.) It is not for general states of emergency as declared by the governor for hurricanes, etc.

>>implying people don't go full retard after natural disasters and loot, or continue the usual raping and pillaging

Thanks JoJo. You confirmed what I was afraid of. This state is so jacked up -___-