• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Barn Gouging

OneForAll

I finally found a mag for my sidearm, an M&P, and they ripped me for 75 dollars. I saw that the tags were stacked, so I gently pulled the stickers off one by one just to see. The one under the sale price was 49.99, and the .price, drumroll..... 38.99!!!!!

What a rip. I will be contacting the BBB, and posting this as many places as possible.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Was this one owned by John Wayne or something? $75 is very steep .. but you won't get anywhere with BBB IMO .. keep updated if you contact them

OneForAll

What really cracks me up is I was able to pick up a 20 round magazine for 45 dollars for the same gun.

OneForAll

The 20 round magazine was bought at a different location. I wish they would of had my stock 15 round magazine. Probably would of save me a bundle.

eye95

It is not a rip-off. It was an offer of merchandise for a given price that was accepted.

There is no such things as gouging or assault weapons. There are free markets and rifles.

At the Exchange, our prices do not go up when commodities become scarce. Our prices are set by formula based solely on last received cost. The result of not raising prices? Items out of stock and purchase limits (rationing).

Free markets guarantee availability of commodities because the care folks show in naturally limiting their purchases because of high prices ensure maximum availability of product for those who really need the item. How do you know they really need it? They pay the high price. The high price demotivates demand and motivates supply, which naturally regulates the market at production levels that cause reasonable profit and reasonable prices and reasonable availability and demand being met.

God Bless [strike]gouging[/strike] free markets!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

OneForAll

I am sure that everyone is aware why these prices are the way they are. To defend businesses who intentionally mark up items like this because of past events and the ban scare, would be no different than to defend every gas station in this country who tripled their prices just because of 9/11. IMO

Last edited:

eye95

If the market bears it, I will defend stations for tripling prices after 9/11. Again, it ensures that what folks need will be available. If the prices are artificially held down, supply and demand be damned, folks will load up on the commodity at the artificially low prices and there will be shortages. Folks will not be able to get what they need.

When prices are naturally allowed to spike when supply and demand get out of whack, people limit themselves to only that which they need, holding demand down more closely to supply levels, making the product available to more people.

If you believe in Liberty, you believe in free markets and prices allowed to float according to supply and demand.

<o>

TheRock

I am sure that everyone is aware why these prices are the way they are. To defend businesses who intentionally mark up items like this because of past events and the ban scare, would be no different than to defend every gas station in this country who tripled their prices just because of 9/11. IMO

Businesses have to replace their inventory, unless you know the wholesale price, how do you know they are gouging

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

eye95

"Out of stock."

If the item were $75, it would probably still be in stock at a level sufficient enough to meet the demand of those who need it, but not those who merely want it.

At about $40, it obviously could not meet the demand of those who want it, let alone need it.

Free markets work.

<o>

OneForAll

There is a big difference in probably and obviously, and that although I agree with the general concept of free market, I feel that you are over compensating for it. Allowing this behavior because of the ban scare has already caused these magazines prices to go up. By the way I did not need the magazine, I wanted it. The long term problem is, that it will cause these prices to stay up. You brought up gas prices in your example, so I will use them in mine. The gas companies raise the prices way up, knowing ahead of time that they will lower them to a higher rate than they were at first, and they will have us thanking them for essentially ripping us off.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
... Allowing this behavior because of the ban scare has already caused these magazines prices to go up. By the way I did not need the magazine, I wanted it. The long term problem is, that it will cause these prices to stay up...

Allowing this behavior? You rewarded that behavior by purchasing at the inflated price even though you didn't need the product.

The scared buyers grabbing everything they can find at absurd prices is the only cause. When these buyers stop paying that much, the price will come back down to a sane level for the rest of us.

OneForAll

I only bought it because I wanted a forth magazine, not because I needed it or was rewarding this behavior. This was the only place I found it and it was their last one. I am not scared about getting what I can before I am not able to. I am trying to before this same magazine would of cost me 100+ dollars.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
I only bought it because I wanted a forth magazine, not because I needed it or was rewarding this behavior. This was the only place I found it and it was their last one. I am not scared about getting what I can before I am not able to. I am trying to before this same magazine would of cost me 100+ dollars.

They'd only raise the price again to $100 if enough people are willing to pay $75 for a product which is actually worth far less. When people stop paying $75, they'll lower the prices back down to move inventory again.

It's simple supply and demand. You're participating in it to negative effect on the demand side while complaining about a store participating in like manner on the supply side. By what other model do you think it should work?

scot623

Report yourself for being a sucker who paid twice retail for something you did not NEED. You WANTED a forth mag and paid a ridiculous price. If you had zero mags and needed one, then any price would have been worth it but not for a forth! mag. Fool. We should all thank you for helping the market prices go up, the more idiots who pay double, the longer the prices will stay double.

Last edited:

autosurgeon

Report yourself for being a sucker who paid twice retail for something you did not NEED. You WANTED a forth mag and paid a ridiculous price. If you had zero mags and needed one, then any price would have been worth it but not for a forth! mag. Fool. We should all thank you for helping the market go prices up, the more idiots who pay double, the longer the prices will stay double.

Yeah and then complaining about the store when he chose to pay the price ... shakes head....

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

markush

Seriously OP?? You cannot pay the price AND whine about it!!!

Allowing this behavior? You rewarded that behavior by purchasing at the inflated price even though you didn't need the product.

The scared buyers grabbing everything they can find at absurd prices is the only cause. When these buyers stop paying that much, the price will come back down to a sane level for the rest of us.

Ding Ding Dign we have a winner!!

I have to say this is the first thread I have ever seen Complaining about price gouging where the OP payed the price!!! The original post was nothing more then....Waa Waa Waa look at me!!!

Last edited:

scot623

Ding Ding Dign we have a winner!!

I have to say this is the first thread I have ever seen Complaining about price gouging where the OP payed the price!!! The original post was nothing more then....Waa Waa Waa look at me!!!

In early 2003 I wanted the new Dodge SRT-4. I went to the dealer and got on the waiting list. A few months later when the car was released I got a call to come pick the car up. Shockingly enough, the dealer casually mentioned he wanted $25,000 for the car even though it stickered at $19,995(very high demand vehicle). I politely told him to go F himself. I did a dealer search, found the car I wanted at MSRP in Chicago. I flew there, bought it and drove it home. Did my original dealer get the $5,000 over sticker eventually?? I'll never know but I also don't care.

On other occasions when I "had to have something" I've paid more than retail, but was happy because I got the item I wanted when I wanted it for a price I was willing to pay. Only idiots pay more than they want to pay and then complain about it.