• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Barn Gouging

mikestilly

It's called capitalism. Laws of supply and demand. I have some statements that put this thread in perspective. If a group of items is facing a possible ban (or any reason to cause the product to be more in demand with less quantities available ) and there is very little supply then prices will rise (possibly steeply). The fact is that you for some reason thought that $75/mag was a good enough deal to buy it.

This is from my perspective. I research any product I'm going to buy because I have limited funds budgeted for those items. I know how much the going rate (price) is for what I'm looking for by research and actively seeking the lowest price without sacrificing quality by going with a cheaper item. I did this recently when I decided I wanted some extra high cap mags for my H&K USP Compact 40. Those mags even before the madness were not easy to find and go from $30-45/mag. After research I found the best places to look for these items was not retail shops who have been pricing items at the current going rates but private sellers. On AR15.com of all places I found a guy who had a large quantity of the exact mags I wanted. He lowered his price to $40/mag and I took him up on his offer and was able to get a pair of mags for $80 that were on the open market going for $150+/mag.

The key thing to learn from this is to not buy with impulse which is easier said then done. When I was younger I used to be like that. When I found something I just had to have I bought it without questioning whether I could get a better deal elsewhere. Impulse buys are usually the worst decisions made during the buying process. The same can be said about buying any products not just firearm related items. The #1 thing I apply the most scruteny on when making a purchase is a car. I research the car I want for many months and go to many dealerships and speak with a large number of salesmen before I even think of making the purchase. After I've finished all my due diligence I negotiate the price which I already know before hand what the lowest is and what is possible. During negotiation I'm easily able to walk right out of the door of any dealership if I dont feel they're giving me a good deal on the price. (i've done this a large number of times) These processes in the end saves me thousands of dollars every single time.

The negotiation doesnt always need to be done with firearms but can apply. In retail stores most dealers have fixed prices but smaller the store the more chance you have to try an negotiate a lower price even on market items. The same principals apply. I walked in to my local gun shop right next door to my house and they wanted $35/box 20 rds of 380 auto ammo. I see this all over now but I know for a fact I can find better deals. I'm never willing to pay $1/rd for ammo. I dont care if it's the zombie apocalypse I'll never pay that much for ammo. 2 days after walking out of the store with no ammo for my new 380 I found JHP 380 auto ammo on Natchez for $12.99/box. So moral of that story is instead of blowing $35+tax on a similar box of ammo because I had a feeling I needed it now saved $0.64/rd vs $1.75/rd a huge difference in my mind. I also know in time I can get boxes of ammo for much less then what I paid.

I can show so many examples of this lately it's not funny. People buying 30 rd mags for $50+/mag and I still am receiving Magpul pmag's for $10-13/mag from online stores. The difference is in the research and patience of waiting till you find the best deal. I hope this helped some people think differently about their purchasing decisions. :)

Last edited:

wizzi01

I only bought it because I wanted a forth magazine, not because I needed it or was rewarding this behavior. This was the only place I found it and it was their last one. I am not scared about getting what I can before I am not able to. I am trying to before this same magazine would of cost me 100+ dollars.

Lol complain about the price and then still purchase it. You wonder why they charge so much much when impatient people like you just buy it anyways.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
If someone offered you $200 for the magazine, would you sell it?

I am sure that everyone is aware why these prices are the way they are. To defend businesses who intentionally mark up items like this because of past events and the ban scare, would be no different than to defend every gas station in this country who tripled their prices just because of 9/11. IMO

Another way to look at this is to reverse roles. If someone offered to buy the magazine from you for $200, would you sell it to them?

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I finally found a mag for my sidearm, an M&P, and they ripped me for 75 dollars. I saw that the tags were stacked, so I gently pulled the stickers off one by one just to see. The one under the sale price was 49.99, and the .price, drumroll..... 38.99!!!!!

What a rip. I will be contacting the BBB, and posting this as many places as possible.

Welcome to America, where Capitalism, although on life support, isn't dead.

They asked, you agreed. Done deal....no whining allowed.

You may want to work on your 'impulse control', before you go out & spend $3.899 for gasoline that, only a short time ago was $2 something....

OneForAll

I would never take advantage of someone by selling them a $40 magazine for $200, I guess I have more integrity than others. I just sold my XD for $300 and it came with it's original case, everything in it, plus 4 magazines. Why $300, it was used. I even gave the guy 50 rounds to get him started. Some of the opinions in this thread shows me that there are a lot of people out there who have no problem ripping others off and chalking it up to free market. Some of the childish comments about my intelligence got a chuckle out of me though. I have spent more on my collection in the last year and a half, then most get in their tax return. Must mean I am doing good enough to deal with this free market you guys support. I am off to find Stainless1911, you all know he would agree. This site was a waste of time.

scot623

I am off to find Stainless1911, you all know he would agree. This site was a waste of time.

If you thought this site would pat your back and give you sympathy for "getting ripped off"( which implies fraud where your purchase does not meet that defenition), then this was a waste of time for you. Say hi to stainless for us. You'll be missed....<sarc>

Last edited:

OneForAll

And no I am not Neil, I am Rick. Me and him have been friends since 2001. He is laughing so hard right now.

Last edited:

carolina guy

I finally found a mag for my sidearm, an M&P, and they ripped me for 75 dollars. I saw that the tags were stacked, so I gently pulled the stickers off one by one just to see. The one under the sale price was 49.99, and the .price, drumroll..... 38.99!!!!!

What a rip. I will be contacting the BBB, and posting this as many places as possible.

I got a question or two for you...what kind of weapon were they pointing at you when you paid them for the "over priced" magazine? Were they threatening your family or friends if you didn't buy?

1st rule in free market economics: Something is ONLY worth what another person will pay for it.

They made the product available, and you purchased...market price established. Buyer's regret does not a bad deal make.

eye95

I would never take advantage of someone by selling them a $40 magazine for $200, I guess I have more integrity than others...

It has nothing to do with integrity. It is about two individuals, equal to each other, each bringing something to the transaction, something that they want less than what the other has brought, so that barring fraud, force, or incredible stupidity, both parties leave the transaction feeling that they have gained.

In the case of fraud or force, you'd have a legitimate beef that would be in the purview of law enforcement or the civil courts to provide you redress. In the case of stupidity, well P.T. Barnum said it best: A sucker is born every minute. Absent fraud or force, it is the sucker's own damned fault if he walks away from the transaction not feeling better off.

It is not up to one party in the transaction to do the research for the other.

Liberty is only Liberty if you are willing to be responsible for yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Mosnar87

You like insulting people who do what they have to Rob Harris. (Neil gave me your name and said quit hiding behind a fake screen name.) You like taking him down a notch because he did what he had to, to get a pistol. He did work for me and I paid him so he could reload for his pistol. You think your all superior to him because you have money and obey the government perspective of our constitution. At least he puts his money where his mouth is. He's not too good to get his hands dirty, or pick up cans to get what he wants.

Work? I was under the impression that Neil was on disability, couldn't work, got money from the government because of it. Are you implying that Neil is able to work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

OneForAll

If you count work as hand me that, go pick up that, pick up my kids, etc..... See, if any of you knew exactly why Neil can not work, none of you would ever bring it up again. How far do you think SSI would carry you??? Not far, so I help him out because I do not like to see others go with out. Have any of you took in to consideration my screen name, OneForAll???

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I finally found a mag for my sidearm, an M&P, and they ripped me for 75 dollars...

"ripped" is past tense. So you bought it? So either you wanted it and could afford its current value (based on supply and demand), OR...

You were in imminent danger, had no magazine for your only firearm, and they KNEW that and raised the price for you at that time because of it. Because that is gouging.