• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Call to action

mspgunner

Phase #1 - (There will be more calls very soon) Time is running out.

It is time to push for a hearing on HB420 by Representative Curtman.
This bill has been assigned to General Laws in the Missouri House which is chaired by Representative Caleb Jones District 50.
Address: MO House of Representatives
201 West Capitol Avenue
Room 233A
Jefferson City MO 65101
Legislative Assistant: Sherri Kempf
Phone: 573-751-2134
E-Mail: Caleb.Jones@house.mo.gov

Call, write, email and tell Mr. Jones we want a hearing on this bill to return a right to the people of the State of Missouri which the legislature took from us in 1985. We eant our 2nd amendment rights back!

mspgunner

Tentatively to be heard March 12 is the preemption bill for OC in Missouri!
This is some thing I have personally have been working on for three years.
If there was ever the most important reason to call in sick, take a vacation day or go AWOL from work or school this is it!
This bill removes "Municipal" prohibition for OC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SB 268 Repeals authority for political subdivisions to regulate open carrying of firearms and requires certain local ordinances incorporate statutory justifications

Sponsor: Nieves

LR Number: 1331S.01I Fiscal Note not available
Committee:
Last Action: 2/6/2013 - S First Read--SB 268-Nieves Journal Page:
Title: Calendar Position: 58
Effective Date: August 28, 2013

Full Bill Text
| All Actions
| Amendments/CCRs/CCSs
| Available Summaries
| Senate Home Page
| List of 2013 Senate Bills

Current Bill Summary

SB 268 - Under current law, political subdivisions may enact ordinances regulating the open carrying of firearms. This act removes that authority so political subdivisions may not regulate the open carrying of firearms.
This act also requires that local ordinances regulating the discharge of firearms incorporate justification defenses provided by statute, which include self defense, defense of others, and defense of property.
MEGHAN LUECKE

mspgunner

Good to know. Who heads up that one?

General Laws is Chaired By senator Nieves who sposored the bill.

Also I'll repost this:
l'll try to address both of the above.

The hearings are held in the Missouri State Capitol in Jefferson City.
The buildinjg is very easy to find, parking though can be tough. The easiest parking is two blocks to the north east in the public garage.
The eharings for the Senate are held in Senate hearing room #1 at 3:00PM.
Don't be late!
They may hear more than 1 bill, unknown at this time.
They only have from 3:00 till 5:00 for the hearing, then the senate goes back into session.
The chairman, Senator Nieves will ask for a show of hands so he can break down the time available for each speaker., you probably will only get 3 minutes.
On the table in the front of the room are "witness forms". for anyone wishing to speak, they are simple, just asking for your name, address, the bill # you wish to speak on and whether you are speaking in favor or against. Fill it out early and just leave it on the table.
The senator who sponsors the bill will speak first and field questions. Those in favor will speak next, those opposed next and those with information only last.
Once you speak YOU CANNOT SPEAK AGAIN!
Once everyone is done the sposoring legislator will once again be available to answer questions. The environment is generally NOT intimidating.
Yes, you can just say "I support this bill", you may want to ad why briefly and you can read froma "speech", but you present better if you just look at the senators and speak. You are not obligated to use the entire time allowed.
Be sure you know the bill # you are speaking on. The preemption bill we want passed is SB268 by Nieves. There may be other bills, but usually no more than 3 at these hearings.