• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Liquor board told restaurant OC not allowed

sudden valley gunner

Went to a restaraunt yesterday I have been to several times OC, never had a problem. Jalapenos in Barkley Village.

Waitress asked if it was legal that I carry because they serve alcohol, I said yes I just can't go to the bar side. My Stepson said it was two guys on the bar side that started this ball rolling.

She said OK she didn't know and thanked me. Then Owner came out and said he was told by Liquor board he couldn't have firearms in his place. I explained the law to him, went out got a brochure he was interested in seeing, and my CPL that was in my truck to show him, he still seemed confused, until I pointed out the specific wording of the RCW. The two guys at the bar staring at me. He seemed satisfied.

The two guys at the bar again talked to him, and he disappeared in the back, came back to my table a little while later and said he just got of the phone with the liquor board they told him I had to conceal because it frightens people and that he was calling the police to make sure, and if I would cover it, I politely told him I respect his right to ask me and I covered so we could finish our meal. Delicious by the way.

He then came back and said he had his GM talk to several people and that I was absolutely correct, and apologized for the inconvenience, but since he had customers freaking out, (two asses at the bar) could I continue to cover.

Sigh....looks like that may have been my last meal at that establishment.

I will say they were super friendly and the whole encounter other than an outcome I don't desire was a fairly positive and educational one.

decklin

I just cannot understand the out of sight, out of mind mentality. It is an illogical way to conduct oneself. What is it about a piece of metal and plastic that scares people?
I can't believe that the Liquor Control Board told him you had to conceal because it frightened people. I really doubt that they said that to him. If they did though why is he taking legal advice from them?

amlevin

I just cannot understand the out of sight, out of mind mentality. It is an illogical way to conduct oneself. What is it about a piece of metal and plastic that scares people?
I can't believe that the Liquor Control Board told him you had to conceal because it frightened people. I really doubt that they said that to him. If they did though why is he taking legal advice from them?

Because they control his Liquor License. You don't think restaurants make a profit on their food, do you? Even if they shut him down (liquor wise) for a short time, and he got the license reinstated on appeal, there's a lot of money lost in booze sales. None gets reimbursed either.

hermannr

I have had that same situation come up before myself...and had to explain to the owner that the restriction is only for the restricted bar area. Then I had to protest the Tonasket city code 9.24.010 and argue with Tonasket. They have promised me that they will change all three of their ordenances that violate (9.22, 9.24.010, and 9.50.010) state law...their council has agreed with me, the town council has agreed to change the ordenances, but I have not seen any action yet. Guess I'll just have to get back going to town council meatings.

Freedom1Man

I have had that same situation come up before myself...and had to explain to the owner that the restriction is only for the restricted bar area. Then I had to protest the Tonasket city code 9.24.010 and argue with Tonasket. They have promised me that they will change all three of their ordenances that violate (9.22, 9.24.010, and 9.50.010) state law...their council has agreed with me, the town council has agreed to change the ordenances, but I have not seen any action yet. Guess I'll just have to get back going to town council meatings.

Nice to meat you, I'll be your butcher today.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Sigh....looks like that may have been my last meal at that establishment...
I can't fault you for anything you did.

But it is sad that most will not notice that we don't come back. They will notice when we immediately leave with our wallets unopened.

decklin

Because they control his Liquor License. You don't think restaurants make a profit on their food, do you? Even if they shut him down (liquor wise) for a short time, and he got the license reinstated on appeal, there's a lot of money lost in booze sales. None gets reimbursed either.

It doesn't matter if they control his Liquor License. That does not qualify them for legal advice. You wouldn't ask a cop for legal advice right?
Just because an individual or agency is responsible for enforcement does not mean they understand the law as is evident from not only numerous law enforcement and government agencies but also the fact that the Board told the owner that SVG HAD TO conceal because he frightened other people.
How does that make any sense? Why would the owner listen to a LIQUOR Control Board in regards to firearms law?
I wouldn't go to a lawyer for advice on car maintenance. It amounts to the same thing.

kparker

MSG Laigaie,

"
If they were so afraid of you (or the weapon), why did they not leave instead of whining to management?
"

BINGO! They are liars: their behavior shows they weren't afraid, they were offended. But there's no leverage in the latter, so they have to pretend to the former instead.

sudden valley gunner

peekaboo_smurfs-779753.jpg

http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2010/07/why-do-peek-boo/

The "out of sight out of mind" mentality comes from parents who don't play peek-a-boo with their babies enough so some people (like the guys at the bar) never develop a sense of object permanence. As long as they can't see it, it doesn't exist, even though most children by two years old should know better.

I like it. I would love to borrow this analogy.

I can't fault you for anything you did.

But it is sad that most will not notice that we don't come back. They will notice when we immediately leave with our wallets unopened.

By the time all was said and done we were finishing up our meal, if it was before I ordered I would have. It is a shame because the waitress and the staff and the owner were very simpatico. I am thinking of eating at some of the other fine establishments that serve food from his cultural background that I know have no issues, taking photos and write him a friendly letter.

It doesn't matter if they control his Liquor License. That does not qualify them for legal advice. You wouldn't ask a cop for legal advice right?
Just because an individual or agency is responsible for enforcement does not mean they understand the law as is evident from not only numerous law enforcement and government agencies but also the fact that the Board told the owner that SVG HAD TO conceal because he frightened other people.
How does that make any sense? Why would the owner listen to a LIQUOR Control Board in regards to firearms law?
I wouldn't go to a lawyer for advice on car maintenance. It amounts to the same thing.

Yea that is what bugged me, I volunteered to talk to the person who told him that, but his GM was already on the phone with others afraid I was causing them trouble so I didn't push it. I would like to have know the name and person who gave him that advise that was nothing more than personal fear mongering.

MSG Laigaie,

""

BINGO! They are liars: their behavior shows they weren't afraid, they were offended. But there's no leverage in the latter, so they have to pretend to the former instead.

Yep I was parked right outside the bar which has glass windows surrounding it, as soon as I left I went back to OC, they were glaring at me out the windows, lying bastardos. A sheriff's car was parked right in front of me.....I could tell they thought he was for me and he went into the jewelry store instead....:D

sudden valley gunner

Well handled Rob. If they were so afraid of you (or the weapon), why did they not leave instead of whining to management?

I know we have ate here together and a few other OC'ers have as an OC gathering it is a shame their food is good and the they are very friendloy.

Because like Parker pointed out they are liars, and they were more interested in causing me mischief than anything else, they kept glaring while we ate, my stepson was laughing and pointing it out since my back was too them, and they kept stopping the waitress and owner, when they would pass by. And glared at me afterward when I went back to OC and they could see me outside....

Overall I feel though the encounter was positive and an education moment for the Restauranteer and his staff, and the fact they didn't immediately ask me to leave or were very professional about the whole scenario left me feeling positive about them.

Yesterday I had several very positive encounters for OC....back to Whatcom county thread.

amzbrady

should have told the manager to tell the two guys to just close their eye's so the firearm would not exist in their world. Besides without the sense of sight, their sense of taste would be hightened. So either their drinks would taste better "bonus for them", or their drinks would taste worse causing them to leave, "bonus for you".

DamonK

I know we have ate here together and a few other OC'ers have as an OC gathering it is a shame their food is good and the they are very friendloy.

Because like Parker pointed out they are liars, and they were more interested in causing me mischief than anything else, they kept glaring while we ate, my stepson was laughing and pointing it out since my back was too them, and they kept stopping the waitress and owner, when they would pass by. And glared at me afterward when I went back to OC and they could see me outside....

Overall I feel though the encounter was positive and an education moment for the Restauranteer and his staff, and the fact they didn't immediately ask me to leave or were very professional about the whole scenario left me feeling positive about them.

Yesterday I had several very positive encounters for OC....back to Whatcom county thread.

I see what those guys did as nothing less than bullying. And that kinda makes me mad. What's the name of this place and where is it? I think I might be craving mexican food in the near future...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

DamonK

Never mind, I just reread your first post. I think I'll be going there in the next week.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Difdi

Because they control his Liquor License.

If people under 21 are allowed in the area where you're carrying, then it's not illegal to carry there. Allowing kids into the area where weapons are prohibited would also be grounds for losing a liquor license. Pointing this out works wonders for convincing people who insist you can't carry where alcohol is served.

There are quite a few family restaurants that would lose nearly all their customers if they decided to designate the general seating area over-21.

LarryM

The two asswipe "activists" at the bar recieved an extra nut-up because they were able to manipulate the manager to align with their way of thinking as well as expedite the OP's departure from the establishment. IMHO, everyone that works in or manages a restaurant that serves alcohol with meals or with an attached bar (NOU21) - as a condition of employment - need to throroughly understand the RCW's that pertain to open and concealed carry.

Those two clowns should have been told in no uncertain terms that it was indeed legal, the establishment permits it, and if they didn't like it, the door is in that direction.....

(I suspect the real reason is that those two didn't want you or your firearm in the way when they got tanked-up on ethyl and started really being ********...)