• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can someone point me here?

Bmeierholtz

I was told by the manager of my bank that since they were "Federally Insured", they were under federal laws and handguns were prohibited by Federal law. I asked her to show me that law. That was US Bank, btw, and I am going to contact home office on Monday. May be time to switch banks I think.

The Big Guy

I was told by the manager of my bank that since they were "Federally Insured", they were under federal laws and handguns were prohibited by Federal law. I asked her to show me that law. That was US Bank, btw, and I am going to contact home office on Monday. May be time to switch banks I think.

This same argument comes around from time to time by ignorant (or calculating) individuals.

TBG

MP_4_Life

Yea, as TBG said, it's common to happen once in a while. I'd just contact their offices and request the officials to release a memo or something detailing their corporate policies. A lot of people imho react when they see a gun, and I believe it's because either the company has a no firearms policy for employee's while on the job, or just not knowing of the laws. Good luck on finding out. I find it funny how they say the banks are hurting so badly, yet their people keep kicking out legal and paying customers. Bad business practice to me, but who am I to judge a corporations business practices (places that are anti-2A, not misguided people).

wrightme

Either she is an idiot, or attempting to pull the wool over your eyes.

"Federally Insured" does not turn a non-government corporation into a federal entity.

Basically, everyone is 'under federal law,' and there is no federal law prohibiting handguns in banks. :)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They are not a federal facility where federal employees are conducting their business. The word "federal" does not remove guns. National Parks are federally administered, too, but possession outside of the federal "facilities" (buildings, for the most part) is governed by state laws.

If what they said were true, their security guard would not be allowed to carry a gun neither.

Bmeierholtz

This was in Winnemucca. They have no armed security of any kind. Just cameras. I do plan on contacting corporate first thing Monday, but with e-mail and follow up call within an hour.

Went in Raley's to pay a bill. Walked right up to courtesy counter in the middle of a bout 10 customers. Rep came to counter, waited on me and nothing was ever said about the gun. Also to Tip's Western wear. I asked about if they could make a better holster for the gun, which was in plain view. Told her the gun was unloaded because I had expected the leather guy to want to see it. The woman behind the counter just smiled and said "Oh I am not worried about that, at all".

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I was told by the manager of my bank that since they were "Federally Insured", they were under federal laws and handguns were prohibited by Federal law.

Go back on Monday, and inform her that if being Federally insured makes the bank a Federal facility, then paying income taxes makes you a Federal employee, thus permitted to carry firearms.

Rollbar

Walked into WellsFargo in Fallon yesterday like I always do (OCing) and some lady saw me and turns to her husband and says, "He's got a gun," He looke but nothing else said. Hammer back on safe and I made sure she saw the condition of my weapon. :shocker:

I even had some long talks w/the branch MGF there and he doesn't care.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I went into a Reno Wells Fargo yesterday. It was a slow period, and there were half a dozen employees chatting. They all looked at me when I came through the door, glanced down at the 10mm, and they just kept talking without missing a syllable.

Last edited:

DooFstersGirl

I OC in the Bank of America on Vegas Blvd quite frequently actually, never once had an issue and I've done it many times when it has been packed with people. Security just glanced at me and went on with his business and the teller looked at me wide eyed for a minute and then acted like there was nothing different about me haha.