Thread: Only in my town..

Only in my town..

I hope I'm hearing this wrong. Now someone tell me again why kids don't tell anyone anything anymore.

http://www.wvec.com/news/Student-all...193353581.html

.45 or bust

Banned
    An FUQ?

Teachers / school administrators have no ability to think any more.....

Re: Only in my town..

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    An FUQ?
    Forgot all about that, sorry.

SUFFOLK-- A 5th grader allegedly brought marijuana to his Suffolk Elementary School on Friday.
    Diana Klink, spokeswoman for the city of Suffolk, says the boy is a student at Driver Elementary.
    The boy's parents and police were notified by the school.
    Klink says that in a meeting with the boy's mother and police, the boy said he found it in his father's truck and brought it to school to show his teacher because, "he wanted his father to stop smoking marijuana."
    Suffolk Public Schools spokeswoman Bethanne Bradshaw says the student was recommended for expulsion per policy and there will be a hearing within 10 days.

.45 or bust

Banned
    Nobody likes a snitch timmy ...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    Forgot all about that, sorry...
    Thanks for the courtesy of an FUQ, and for realizing its importance.

1. When dealing with children that young, barring dangerous behavior, from which the other children need to be protected, expulsion accomplishes nothing.

2. For children that young, not knowing that what they did was wrong IS an excuse. They are still at the age where we are teaching them to distinguish between right and wrong. Punishment of some kind is still appropriate, but the focus should be on teaching.

3. For children that young, motivation is a HUGE consideration when determining how to respond to such egregious rules violations. He had the right underlying motivation: to stop drug abuse. He just went about it in all the wrong way. Again, teach him.

4. "Zero tolerance" policies ignore all of the above.

5. So-called "zero tolerance" policies have nothing to do with being intolerant of certain misbehaviors. They are solely about maximizing punishment while minimizing lawsuits, because administrators can say, "My hands were tied..." True zero tolerance means the behavior will never be overlooked, however, professionals, in whom we have invested a lot of education and trust, should once again be trusted with making disciplinary decisions that are unique to each single case. True justice will never be fair. We should quit trying to make it so, and just go for justice.
    Last edited by eye95; 03-03-2013 at 08:41 AM.

That kid now knows that reporting to a authority figure, that he though something was wrong is......well, wrong. A teachable moment was not wasted by the school administration.....don't be a snitch, bad things happen to snitches.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Zero Tolerance is just an excuse for the administration not to use common sense and take the risk of hearing parents complain about everything not being equal, and equality is the goal it seems.

We have gotten so far off track, it makes my brain hurt.