• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about sighting in.

Gary S

I just bought a Remington 770 bolt action 300 win mag. I have never really done any rifle sighting because I've mainly had just hand guns. Any rifle I've shot before was already set up. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is experienced doing such that would be willing to go to the range with me to kind of give me a hand sighting it in. I live in broken arrow and also I need to know of a range that I can shoot it at.

Aknazer

The best way to do it is to use a lead sled, pick a range you want it sighted at, fire five rounds, and then make adjustments to the scope until you get the scope sighted at where the rounds are hitting.

Personally since I don't have a lead sled to hold the gun that steady I use a bipod and a table in order to try and keep the gun as steady as possible while aiming at the bullseye. Shoot five rounds and see where they're grouping, followed by making adjustments. Keep doing this until I get the rounds where I want them and as close to accurate as I think I can get it.

Glock 1st fan

I just bought a Remington 770 bolt action 300 win mag. I have never really done any rifle sighting because I've mainly had just hand guns. Any rifle I've shot before was already set up. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is experienced doing such that would be willing to go to the range with me to kind of give me a hand sighting it in. I live in broken arrow and also I need to know of a range that I can shoot it at.

Gary get you some small sandbags or a commercially made rifle bench rest kit. Like mentioned above you fire anywhere from a min of 3 to 5 rounds and track your group. You adjust the sights accordingly using very small changes and fire 3 more. Adjust repeatedly as nec. The rifle bench rest kit or sand bags are crucial for sighting as they take out natural movement from resting it in your hands.

When are you going to go to the range?

Gary S

Gary get you some small sandbags or a commercially made rifle bench rest kit. Like mentioned above you fire anywhere from a min of 3 to 5 rounds and track your group. You adjust the sights accordingly using very small changes and fire 3 more. Adjust repeatedly as nec. The rifle bench rest kit or sand bags are crucial for sighting as they take out natural movement from resting it in your hands.

When are you going to go to the range?
I would like to some time this week, Im needing to just for a stress relief. I wouldn't be able to get a sled at this point, but I can probably get some sand bags. I already have my rifle set up with a bi pod.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You can use a "lead sled" for most of it, if you need to. But use just sandbags for the final adjustments, allowing the rifle to recoil more naturally and realistically for better sighting-in purposes.

Try sighting in at only 25-50 yards first. Once you are in the center of the paper at that distance, than you can sight in at an appropriate distance based on the needed point-blank range for your cartridge, typical game, and field conditions. "Point-blank range" does not mean right in front of you. It is the range at which you can hit the kill zone without adjusting your point of aim, and can be several hundreds of yards for many rifles, targets, and field conditions.

Bring whatever you need to make the scope adjustments. Don't laugh. I can't tell you how many times I've been looking for a nickel, or penny, or quarter because a particular scope was designed to use one for adjustments.

Aknazer

You can use a "lead sled" for most of it, if you need to. But use just sandbags for the final adjustments, allowing the rifle to recoil more naturally and realistically for better sighting-in purposes.

Try sighting in at only 25-50 yards first. Once you are in the center of the paper at that distance, than you can sight in at an appropriate distance based on the needed point-blank range for your cartridge, typical game, and field conditions. "Point-blank range" does not mean right in front of you. It is the range at which you can hit the kill zone without adjusting your point of aim, and can be several hundreds of yards for many rifles, targets, and field conditions.

Bring whatever you need to make the scope adjustments. Don't laugh. I can't tell you how many times I've been looking for a nickel, or penny, or quarter because a particular scope was designed to use one for adjustments.

Every time I go to the range I keep forgetting to bring something to be able to finish sighting in my gun. It is so true about forgetting to bring the proper tools to sight in the gun >_<

okiephlyer

Gary,
Do you have an Oklahoma hunting license? If so, there is an outdoor range just east of Wagoner that is free to use. I will have some time mid week and may be able to run out there with you, or wherever you end up going. Also, I have a spotting scope and laser boresighter. Never used the boresighter, but willing to try it out. PM sent with additional info.

Gary S

Gary,
Do you have an Oklahoma hunting license? If so, there is an outdoor range just east of Wagoner that is free to use. I will have some time mid week and may be able to run out there with you, or wherever you end up going. Also, I have a spotting scope and laser boresighter. Never used the boresighter, but willing to try it out. PM sent with additional info.[/kQUOTE]

Thank you, I sent a reply to you. I'll follow up with an email to you in a little while.

ginfield

I have a membership at USSA. I can get you in there for $10.
Maybe free if I can use guest passes.
Just let me know.