Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Transit

  1. #1
    Regular Member FF 2553's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    wilkesboro NC
    Posts
    7

    Transit

    So new guy here I have a question really looking for advice what do you do with your gun in transit from place to place ie I'm 6'7" 350 if I am oc Ing and I sit in my car it is now concealed my Serpa level 2 don't want to come off I about have to take off my pants to get it off suggestions or am I looking at this wrong thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    Wrap a belt (preferably with a holster) around the passenger seat. If it's a bench seat, run the belt vertically around the back and modify the holster as needed. Rivets work well. Put your gun in it; it's still OC. You could also mount a holster to the dash top or on a console. If you still think it would not be obvious to a LEO, be sure to mention it when approached.

    Don't willingly give it up.

  3. #3
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,271
    If you have a CHP you don't need to worry about it concealed in the vehicle. If you are OCing and are in the car wearing the same it is not concealed, unless you cover it. But I use the belt on passenger seat method because it is more comfortable.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by FF 2553 View Post
    So new guy here I have a question really looking for advice what do you do with your gun in transit from place to place ie I'm 6'7" 350 if I am oc Ing and I sit in my car it is now concealed my Serpa level 2 don't want to come off I about have to take off my pants to get it off suggestions or am I looking at this wrong thanks
    That is not CC, it is still OC

  5. #5
    Regular Member FF 2553's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    wilkesboro NC
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for the comments I just wanted to make shure about this stuff I don't have my chp but am taking the class next week just for info I've actually been through nc blet ( rookie school) just never found a job shows you how much time thats covered they give the basics and that's about it I was raised with guns but no one in my family has ever felt the need to carry so its new to me and really still feels odd the only carry experience I have is on the range and a glock model 22 in a level 3 in rookie school thanks and let me clarify here nc would rather me un holster in public then re holster in public (1911 condition1 a little safer imop than striker fired) than sit in my car with it on my side where you can see it from the passenger side but not the driver side? Thanks I know I may seem a little parinoied about this lol but it's new to me an being that I'm applying for jobs with EMS I really care about legal trouble even more so than I usually would

    Thanks
    Chad foster

  6. #6
    Regular Member dmatting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    443
    I would take some of the comments above with a grain of salt. Right or wrong, an officer is going to use their own judgement/prejudice to determine whether you are OCing or CCing a weapon when it is holstered on your hip while seated in the vehicle. While others may claim that you are openly carrying and have nothing to worry about, I view this as a grey area and I will always act in a conservative manner. If I did not have a CHP, my pistol would be either riding on my dashboard or on the seat next to me - and sometimes I do just that. I don't really need to push any envelopes and spend my time, my money, and my sanity trying to hash it out in the courts because of some random officer's perspective. It's completely up to you how you approach it, though.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    149
    I'd certainly have to question an officer on why he considers an OC'ed firearm to be concealed if he sees it..

  8. #8
    Regular Member dmatting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy276 View Post
    I'd certainly have to question an officer on why he considers an OC'ed firearm to be concealed if he sees it..
    Like I said, it's up to you how you want to do it. I just think there are too many situations that could play out - so having it on the dash or the seat is the safest bet, in my mind, to make sure it can be seen. One example would be if, for whatever reason, you are asked to step out of the vehicle and the officer then sees the pistol on your hip for the first time - what will play out next?

    I know that when I am seated in my truck, I block any view of my gun from the left side and the center console blocks all view of my gun from the right side. If you consider that open carry, then carry on. I do not know what an officer may consider it, though.

  9. #9
    Regular Member FF 2553's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    wilkesboro NC
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatting View Post
    Like I said, it's up to you how you want to do it. I just think there are too many situations that could play out - so having it on the dash or the seat is the safest bet, in my mind, to make sure it can be seen. One example would be if, for whatever reason, you are asked to step out of the vehicle and the officer then sees the pistol on your hip for the first time - what will play out next?

    I know that when I am seated in my truck, I block any view of my gun from the left side and the center console blocks all view of my gun from the right side. If you consider that open carry, then carry on. I do not know what an officer may consider it, though.
    thats where I am on it you cant see it all when im seated I know if I were to stop someone If i can see it its oc if I cant its cc whether or not the driver verbalizes that there is a firearm so one last thing dose one have to unload the gun for the dash? im just going to have to get this cc class done I dont mind having to put it on the dash or seat but I really dont like handling it that much in public that seems like a bad situation waiting to happen here I am holstering or un holstering at my car in walmart parking lot and someone afraid of guns walks by and we have a bad day at least a hassle of explaining my self to pd and potentially hooking a going armed to the terror of the public charge I would just remove the whole holster but the paddle on the serpa level 2 has a freaking death grip on pants with those little hooks I about have to take my pants off just to get it to let go lol

  10. #10
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,271
    North Carolina does not distinguish between a loaded or unloaded firearm in the concealed carry statutes. If you decide to unload your weapon that is up to you, not the law. A concealed unloaded firearm is still a concealed weapon. If it bothers you that much glue or screw a holster to the dash.

    A officer has to know a firearm is present to charge with concealed weapon, the only way they can know is to see the weapon unless you tell them it is there. If they can see it, it is not concealed. If they ask you to step out of the car and then see it, it is still not concealed. You are only required to tell them of the firearm if you posses a CHP.

    My opinion is keep my big mouth shut, if asked to step from the car keep my hands clear of the firearm. Police in this state are fully aware of open carry, and unless you are drunk or acting stupid I doubt you will have a problem.

    If you decide to put a holster on the dash keep in mind that kydex loses it's shape around 200F, and leather dries and shrinks in high temperature. Probably the best bet would be something like a Uncle Mikes holster.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 03-04-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    +1 to what WW said.

    If you don't mind relocating, check with Hoke county sheriff (Raeford).

  12. #12
    Regular Member FF 2553's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    wilkesboro NC
    Posts
    7
    thanks my question was dose it have to unloaded if it is laying on the dash I seam to recall something about ammo and gun have to be stored in seperate compartments not easily reached by the driver or am I confusing this with another law about something pertaining to something else

  13. #13
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,271
    Quote Originally Posted by FF 2553 View Post
    thanks my question was dose it have to unloaded if it is laying on the dash I seam to recall something about ammo and gun have to be stored in seperate compartments not easily reached by the driver or am I confusing this with another law about something pertaining to something else
    You are thinking of other states, not NC. I repeat in NC there is no distinction between a loaded or unloaded weapon in NC concealed carry law. If the gun is unloaded is no difference from it being loaded. If the gun is withing reach and not in a locked compartment, concealed, and the popo discover it without a CHP you will be charged. There is absolutely no reason to unload the gun in the vehicle.

    Federal laws for GFSZA are different from NC law though. Which have not been enforced as stand alone. In the case of a GFSZ I believe the gun must be in a container unloaded, unless the gun is locked in a container that is not within reach, such as the trunk. GFSZ is only for firearms that are or have been in interstate commerce, and do not include antique firearms, or C&B replicas. A percussion colt or Remington is legal for open carry in a GFSZ, though I doubt most LE knows the difference between a firearm and a antique firearm.

    Do not carry any type of weapon onto school property though.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 03-04-2013 at 07:20 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  14. #14
    Regular Member FF 2553's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    wilkesboro NC
    Posts
    7
    Thanks all the random stuff runs together in my head some times

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    26
    I just recently bought my first handgun (XDm 9mm compact) and was elated to find out that I don't have to wait for my CCW permit to come in to be able to carry it. My girlfriend, however, is not at all excited about the idea of me open carrying until I have a permit regardless of the legality of it. She is worried about confrontations with the cops. Our most recent argument about it was about open carrying in the car while she is driving. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help explain to her that it is not a problem (however futile it might be)?

  16. #16
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman7496 View Post
    I just recently bought my first handgun (XDm 9mm compact) and was elated to find out that I don't have to wait for my CCW permit to come in to be able to carry it. My girlfriend, however, is not at all excited about the idea of me open carrying until I have a permit regardless of the legality of it. She is worried about confrontations with the cops. Our most recent argument about it was about open carrying in the car while she is driving. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help explain to her that it is not a problem (however futile it might be)?
    Welllllllllll not sure how you would go about that. Usually when a spouse/gf makes up their mind convincing them otherwise is not all that easy. Maybe if you can find another OCer in your area to get together with as a group it might help. Or just OC and let her complain, sooner or later one of you will get tired of it and bend. Seriously only you know her, and what will work or what will not.

    Welcome to OCDO!
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 03-06-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Davidson, North Carolina
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman7496 View Post
    I just recently bought my first handgun (XDm 9mm compact) and was elated to find out that I don't have to wait for my CCW permit to come in to be able to carry it. My girlfriend, however, is not at all excited about the idea of me open carrying until I have a permit regardless of the legality of it. She is worried about confrontations with the cops. Our most recent argument about it was about open carrying in the car while she is driving. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help explain to her that it is not a problem (however futile it might be)?
    My wife has as I call them concerns over my Firearm... but she likes to shoot and has comfort that I carry one, you never know when another human will be willing to try and take your life or family's. <---and that's from a woman who has mixed feelings about guns.

    I would say show her the NC open carry flyer in this forum and let her shoot and read for herself. with due time she may come to be comfortable about Firearm carry.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Itch View Post
    My wife has as I call them concerns over my Firearm... but she likes to shoot and has comfort that I carry one, you never know when another human will be willing to try and take your life or family's. <---and that's from a woman who has mixed feelings about guns.

    I would say show her the NC open carry flyer in this forum and let her shoot and read for herself. with due time she may come to be comfortable about Firearm carry.
    I'm actually quite lucky in that she fully believes in the 2A. Back in January when we went to the range to see if we would be interested in getting some personal protection, she got the bug big time. She had a blast! We're still on the hunt for a reasonably priced SR9c for her. I guess that she just really hates being questioned. Which is partly the problem about her driving as she would be the one to be questioned should we be stopped. I was just hoping to find someone's personal account of a similar situation. I appreciate the responses none the less.

  19. #19
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670
    to the OP who queried about handguns and vehicles: Attorney General Cooper states:
    quote North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas ofa vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. It is our recommendation that firearms should not
    be carried in a glove compartment regardless of whether the compartment is locked or not. While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that individual's putpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed
    weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate North Carolina law.

    link doesn't want to copy properly...go to nc sheriffs association site and it is section D transporting weapons

    wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Davidson, North Carolina
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    to the OP who queried about handguns and vehicles: Attorney General Cooper states:
    quote North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas ofa vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. It is our recommendation that firearms should not
    be carried in a glove compartment regardless of whether the compartment is locked or not. While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that individual's putpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed
    weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate North Carolina law.

    link doesn't want to copy properly...go to nc sheriffs association site and it is section D transporting weapons

    wabbit
    So can I carry my firearm in the holster on my belt and still be legal?
    Driving or passenger?

  21. #21
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Itch View Post
    So can I carry my firearm in the holster on my belt and still be legal?
    Driving or passenger?
    I believe that you have been given several opinions on that question. Maybe you should read my signature line at the bottom.

    You can be legal, and even a saint, or the new pope, none of that really matters at the moment in time if a LEO does not know what is legal or is not.

    You have to make the dicision in the long run for yourself based on what you have learned. If you did not learn enough here contact a attorney.

    INAL but IMO you are completely legal to open carry your gun on your belt in your car. But please do not tell the LEO that, when he claims it is not, IF that should happen.

    Get one of these, problem solved. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1312264814-56.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	10083
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 03-07-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  22. #22
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,271
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    to the OP who queried about handguns and vehicles: Attorney General Cooper states:
    quote North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas ofa vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. It is our recommendation that firearms should not
    be carried in a glove compartment regardless of whether the compartment is locked or not. While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that individual's putpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed
    weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate North Carolina law.

    link doesn't want to copy properly...go to nc sheriffs association site and it is section D transporting weapons

    wabbit
    I disagree with the Attorney General, there have been court cases where vehicle compartments are recognized as appropriate containers for transporting firearms. Plus I would never tell a police officer I have a firearm within reach that he cannot see. He could use that as speech that can be used against you. If he sees the firearm then clearly it is not concealed, if he does not see it, then there is no harm, no foul.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  23. #23
    Regular Member dmatting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    ...
    You can be legal, and even a saint, or the new pope, none of that really matters at the moment in time if a LEO does not know what is legal or is not.
    ...
    ^^^ This is how I see it. I know that I am carrying my pistol in a legal manner but I don't know what they don't know.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    149
    If you decide to lock your firearm in the glove compartment, do make sure that your registration isn't locked inside with it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •