• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transit

WalkingWolf

So can I carry my firearm in the holster on my belt and still be legal?
Driving or passenger?

I believe that you have been given several opinions on that question. Maybe you should read my signature line at the bottom.

You can be legal, and even a saint, or the new pope, none of that really matters at the moment in time if a LEO does not know what is legal or is not.

You have to make the dicision in the long run for yourself based on what you have learned. If you did not learn enough here contact a attorney.

INAL but IMO you are completely legal to open carry your gun on your belt in your car. But please do not tell the LEO that, when he claims it is not, IF that should happen.

Get one of these, problem solved. 1312264814-56.jpg

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

to the OP who queried about handguns and vehicles: Attorney General Cooper states:
quote North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas ofa vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. It is our recommendation that firearms should not
be carried in a glove compartment regardless of whether the compartment is locked or not. While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that individual's putpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed
weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate North Carolina law.

link doesn't want to copy properly...go to nc sheriffs association site and it is section D transporting weapons

wabbit
I disagree with the Attorney General, there have been court cases where vehicle compartments are recognized as appropriate containers for transporting firearms. Plus I would never tell a police officer I have a firearm within reach that he cannot see. He could use that as speech that can be used against you. If he sees the firearm then clearly it is not concealed, if he does not see it, then there is no harm, no foul.

dmatting

You can be legal, and even a saint, or the new pope, none of that really matters at the moment in time if a LEO does not know what is legal or is not.

^^^ This is how I see it. I know that I am carrying my pistol in a legal manner but I don't know what they don't know.

FlyBoy276

If you decide to lock your firearm in the glove compartment, do make sure that your registration isn't locked inside with it. ;)