Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 81

Thread: No CPL car carry ?

  1. #1
    Guest
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holland, MI.
    Posts
    266

    No CPL car carry ?

    What are the odds that non CPL holders will be able to carry in the car ?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Pistols are a major no way, no how, can't carry them in a vehicle while complying with state law without a CPL. Unloaded, in the trunk or rear portion of the vehicle and in a case, that's what you need to do.

    The closest you can have is a broken down or encased long gun, which is also unloaded. That you can have in the front seat next to you with no CPL, provided you aren't for whatever reason unable to legally have guns with you, (such as if you are intoxicated or a felon or something)

    The biggest issue here is the federal gun free school zones act, which applies to public spaces within 1,000 feet of a k-12 school. You have to have it locked up in a locked container (the trunk counts, as would a locked case) or locked to a gun rack, which would mean it would have to be broken down, unloaded AND locked to a gun rack.

    In short, this state sucks badly if you don't waste time for a CPL class, and pay the state off every 4 or 5 years.
    Last edited by Michigander; 03-02-2013 at 11:14 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Lightbulb

    Good news - Better than being struck by lightening.

    Bad news - Not that much better.

    Short of Constitutional Carry being passed in MI. (slim chance).

    Now get off your butt and get to fighting for your CPL.!

    Note if you do have a wife, family member who has a CPL they can take possession of your pistol prior to you getting in the vehicle. This will save you all the unload/case uncase/re-load kabuki theatre MI law currently forces a non CPL OCer to engage in. Note do not take it back from them until you are outside of the vehicle & have them put it in your holster to avoid hand-off follies.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #4
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Unlikely but you never know. If there's enough lobbying we can maybe get pistol vehicle carry if we have enough pro 2A in office. I don't see long guns happening though.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  5. #5
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    No CPL car carry ?

    Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    What are the odds that non CPL holders will be able to carry in the car ?
    Ask Neil Carpenter -- he said it was his bill and I shouldn't try to take it over


    I do need to talk to Kowall's office again.

    I don't have high hopes for this bill, at least in the first session…but we'll fight hard for it.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Be fair Phil, What he said was don't try to take credit for all the work he has done on it. Which I think Yancer would agree has been significant. Also isn't it bad taste to use ones full name on a forum like this?


    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Ask Neil Carpenter -- he said it was his bill and I shouldn't try to take it over


    I do need to talk to Kowall's office again.

    I don't have high hopes for this bill, at least in the first session…but we'll fight hard for it.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  7. #7
    Regular Member Ezerharden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Erie, MI
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Be fair Phil, What he said was don't try to take credit for all the work he has done on it. Which I think Yancer would agree has been significant. Also isn't it bad taste to use ones full name on a forum like this?
    Not like everyone doesn't already know him. Hell he has identified himself here by name a few times.
    Last edited by Ezerharden; 03-03-2013 at 03:08 AM.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

    I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

    For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

  8. #8
    Guest
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holland, MI.
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Pistols are a major no way, no how, can't carry them in a vehicle while complying with state law without a CPL. Unloaded, in the trunk or rear portion of the vehicle and in a case, that's what you need to do.

    The closest you can have is a broken down or encased long gun, which is also unloaded. That you can have in the front seat next to you with no CPL, provided you aren't for whatever reason unable to legally have guns with you, (such as if you are intoxicated or a felon or something)

    The biggest issue here is the federal gun free school zones act, which applies to public spaces within 1,000 feet of a k-12 school. You have to have it locked up in a locked container (the trunk counts, as would a locked case) or locked to a gun rack, which would mean it would have to be broken down, unloaded AND locked to a gun rack.

    In short, this state sucks badly if you don't waste time for a CPL class, and pay the state off every 4 or 5 years.
    Exactly, hence the reason for the post. I could just move to NY or Cyi town where it's safer, I here they don't even have guns. Zar-cas-dic.
    Last edited by casper; 03-03-2013 at 09:20 AM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Be fair Phil, What he said was don't try to take credit for all the work he has done on it. Which I think Yancer would agree has been significant. Also isn't it bad taste to use ones full name on a forum like this?
    Neil says thank you Raggs.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eastpointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by OneForAll View Post
    Neil says thank you Raggs.
    Are you Neil's new sock puppet? You sure talk for him a lot lately.

  11. #11
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Actually, I hang out with him in person quite a bit, like I said I have know him since 2001. Does that bother you or something?
    Last edited by OneForAll; 03-03-2013 at 11:06 AM.

  12. #12
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Be fair Phil, What he said was don't try to take credit for all the work he has done on it. Which I think Yancer would agree has been significant. Also isn't it bad taste to use ones full name on a forum like this?
    Neil say thanks to you Raggs for the kind words.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eastpointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by OneForAll View Post
    Actually, I hang out with him in person quite a bit, like I said I have know him since 2001. Does that bother you or something?
    Doesn't bother me at all. I've just never seen someone become someone's mouthpiece quite like you have. I have friends I've known for years, doesn't mean I'm their press secretary.

    Too bad you weren't around to talk Neil out of some of the bad decisions he's made. You seem to be a much better candidate to push a car around.

  14. #14
    Guest
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holland, MI.
    Posts
    266
    Same side guys, remember.

  15. #15
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    A friends is a friend and I do not speak for him, I defend him. As for the thank you, read the thread. I am not the only one who passed on the thank you and probably will not be the last. My kid has a T-shirt for you, it reads: Anti-Bully
    Is there not a rule that says personal attacks are not allowed.
    Last edited by OneForAll; 03-03-2013 at 11:44 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Same side guys, remember.
    If you saw the posts from before you got here you would understand.

  17. #17
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    I do not have multiple accounts, why delete my post?

  18. #18
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterkiller View Post
    It's Davisburg. Not Davison. Two different places. And I thought you moved to Waterford.
    Grab a map real quick and look 10 miles east of Flint, drum roll Davison... Look 20 miles south there's Davisburg. Which lies a trailer park in which Neil lives a few trailers down from my mom. For everyone else that wants to accuse me of being Neil, grow up!!! Your all just mad because you do not like Neil and your upset that he skims through the threads daily just to keep himself amused. Get over your selfs. And just for laughs, Neil's on his way over now. We are going shooting, may be in Lapeer.
    Last edited by OneForAll; 03-03-2013 at 02:30 PM.

  19. #19
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Ask Neil Carpenter -- he said it was his bill and I shouldn't try to take it over


    I do need to talk to Kowall's office again.

    I don't have high hopes for this bill, at least in the first session…but we'll fight hard for it.
    If its too closely associated with an undesirable, perhaps we should kill it, and start over fresh. It may already be dead by association....
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  20. #20
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    I have talk to John and he is well aware that I do not have multiple accounts. Grab a map real quick and look 10 miles east of Flint, drum roll Davison... Look 20 miles south there's Davisburg. Which lies a trailer park in which Neil lives a few trailers down from my mom. For everyone else that wants to accuse me of being Neil, grow up!!! Your all just mad because you do not like Neil and your upset that he skims through the threads daily just to keep himself amused. Get over your selfs. And just for laughs, Neil's on his way over now. We are going shooting, may be in Lapeer.

  21. #21
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by OneForAll View Post
    I have talk to John and he is well aware that I do not have multiple accounts. Grab a map real quick and look 10 miles east of Flint, drum roll Davison... Look 20 miles south there's Davisburg. Which lies a trailer park in which Neil lives a few trailers down from my mom. For everyone else that wants to accuse me of being Neil, grow up!!! Your all just mad because you do not like Neil and your upset that he skims through the threads daily just to keep himself amused. Get over your selfs. And just for laughs, Neil's on his way over now. We are going shooting, may be in Lapeer.
    Hi shadowbear....

  22. #22
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    If its too closely associated with an undesirable, perhaps we should kill it, and start over fresh. It may already be dead by association....
    Real mature boys. Fact is, he got there first, and now everybody knows it now. He did what you guys didn't, and Eileen Kowall knows that there is a big difference in an internet persona, and what is real. Stainless likes to screw around with the forum, but it looks like he is in equal company. Everyone here lives in glass houses, yet they can't stop throwing stones. One thing stainless has done for gun rights, is exposing some of you for what you really are. Online, stainless is one of you, offline, he does it right, what's funny to me, and to him, is watching you guys take the bait every time.

  23. #23
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Slow day, nothing else to do.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  24. #24
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Hmmm- so you're not going shooting with Neil after all?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  25. #25
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    Slow day, nothing else to do.
    Quoted for John

    I know you have been warned.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •