• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No CPL car carry ?

Michigander

Pistols are a major no way, no how, can't carry them in a vehicle while complying with state law without a CPL. Unloaded, in the trunk or rear portion of the vehicle and in a case, that's what you need to do.

The closest you can have is a broken down or encased long gun, which is also unloaded. That you can have in the front seat next to you with no CPL, provided you aren't for whatever reason unable to legally have guns with you, (such as if you are intoxicated or a felon or something)

The biggest issue here is the federal gun free school zones act, which applies to public spaces within 1,000 feet of a k-12 school. You have to have it locked up in a locked container (the trunk counts, as would a locked case) or locked to a gun rack, which would mean it would have to be broken down, unloaded AND locked to a gun rack.

In short, this state sucks badly if you don't waste time for a CPL class, and pay the state off every 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Good news - Better than being struck by lightening.

Bad news - Not that much better.

Short of Constitutional Carry being passed in MI. (slim chance).

Now get off your butt and get to fighting for your CPL.! :p

Note if you do have a wife, family member who has a CPL they can take possession of your pistol prior to you getting in the vehicle. This will save you all the unload/case uncase/re-load kabuki theatre MI law currently forces a non CPL OCer to engage in. Note do not take it back from them until you are outside of the vehicle & have them put it in your holster to avoid hand-off follies.

xmanhockey7

Unlikely but you never know. If there's enough lobbying we can maybe get pistol vehicle carry if we have enough pro 2A in office. I don't see long guns happening though.

TheQ

What are the odds that non CPL holders will be able to carry in the car ?

Ask Neil Carpenter -- he said it was his bill and I shouldn't try to take it over ;)

I do need to talk to Kowall's office again.

I don't have high hopes for this bill, at least in the first session…but we'll fight hard for it.

Raggs

Be fair Phil, What he said was don't try to take credit for all the work he has done on it. Which I think Yancer would agree has been significant. Also isn't it bad taste to use ones full name on a forum like this?

Ask Neil Carpenter -- he said it was his bill and I shouldn't try to take it over ;)

I do need to talk to Kowall's office again.

I don't have high hopes for this bill, at least in the first session…but we'll fight hard for it.

Ezerharden

Be fair Phil, What he said was don't try to take credit for all the work he has done on it. Which I think Yancer would agree has been significant. Also isn't it bad taste to use ones full name on a forum like this?

Not like everyone doesn't already know him. Hell he has identified himself here by name a few times.

Last edited:

casper

Pistols are a major no way, no how, can't carry them in a vehicle while complying with state law without a CPL. Unloaded, in the trunk or rear portion of the vehicle and in a case, that's what you need to do.

The closest you can have is a broken down or encased long gun, which is also unloaded. That you can have in the front seat next to you with no CPL, provided you aren't for whatever reason unable to legally have guns with you, (such as if you are intoxicated or a felon or something)

The biggest issue here is the federal gun free school zones act, which applies to public spaces within 1,000 feet of a k-12 school. You have to have it locked up in a locked container (the trunk counts, as would a locked case) or locked to a gun rack, which would mean it would have to be broken down, unloaded AND locked to a gun rack.

In short, this state sucks badly if you don't waste time for a CPL class, and pay the state off every 4 or 5 years.

Exactly, hence the reason for the post.:rolleyes: I could just move to NY or Cyi town where it's safer, I here they don't even have guns. Zar-cas-dic.

Last edited:

OneForAll

Neil says thank you Raggs.

OneForAll

Actually, I hang out with him in person quite a bit, like I said I have know him since 2001. Does that bother you or something?

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Neil say thanks to you Raggs for the kind words.

scot623

Actually, I hang out with him in person quite a bit, like I said I have know him since 2001. Does that bother you or something?

Doesn't bother me at all. I've just never seen someone become someone's mouthpiece quite like you have. I have friends I've known for years, doesn't mean I'm their press secretary.

Too bad you weren't around to talk Neil out of some of the bad decisions he's made. You seem to be a much better candidate to push a car around.

OneForAll

A friends is a friend and I do not speak for him, I defend him. As for the thank you, read the thread. I am not the only one who passed on the thank you and probably will not be the last. My kid has a T-shirt for you, it reads: Anti-Bully
Is there not a rule that says personal attacks are not allowed.

Last edited:

Skeeterkiller

This is precisely why the chances of a bill coming from her office are in the same league as the earth being stuck by an asteroid in the next 30 days.

But maybe his press secretary is aware of something not yet authorized to be released for public dissemination.

OneForAll

It's Davisburg. Not Davison. Two different places. And I thought you moved to Waterford.

Grab a map real quick and look 10 miles east of Flint, drum roll Davison... Look 20 miles south there's Davisburg. Which lies a trailer park in which Neil lives a few trailers down from my mom. For everyone else that wants to accuse me of being Neil, grow up!!! Your all just mad because you do not like Neil and your upset that he skims through the threads daily just to keep himself amused. Get over your selfs. And just for laughs, Neil's on his way over now. We are going shooting, may be in Lapeer.

Last edited: