• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HS students suspended for disarming gunman

zack991

http://www.fox4now.com/multimedia/videos/?bctid=2198304678001

FORT MYERS, Fla. - A 16-year-old Cypress Lake High School student, who wrestled a loaded revolver away from a teen threatening to shoot, is being punished.

The student grappled the gun away from the 15-year-old suspect on the bus ride home Tuesday after witnesses say he aimed the weapon point blank at another student and threatened to shoot him.

The student, who Fox 4 has agreed not to identify because he fears for his safety, says there's "no doubt" he saved a life by disarming the gunman. And for that he was suspended for three days.

"I think he was really going to shoot him right then and there," the student said. "Not taking no pity."

he mother agreed to talk with us in disguise. She can't understand why her son, and two other students who disarmed the gunman, were all suspended.

"Those kids had to fight for their lives," she said. "All the kids that was involved in this they should have a pat on their backs because they did the right thing to save someone from burying their child."

Fox 4 asked the Lee County School District about the suspension.

"We cannot discuss specifics involving students," said district spokesman Alberto Rodriguez in a statement. "Florida law allows the principal to suspend a student immediately pending a hearing."

On Thursday Fox 4 tried to get answers from Tracey Perkins, the principal of Cypress Lake High School.

"Were those students suspended?," asked Fox 4 reporter Matt Grant, before she drove off.

"Ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves," the teen's mother said referring to the school's administration, adding that the suspended students "need their education."

Despite the fact the suspect pointed a load gun at another student and threatened to shoot authorities charged him with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon "without intent" to kill.

We asked the sheriff's office about that.

"The investigation is ongoing," said Sgt. David Valez in a statement. "The charges presented to [the suspect] are based on our findings at this time."

Authorities were unable to watch the school bus surveillance video because the cameras weren't working.

Last edited:

Bmeierholtz

That's an outrage! I think every law abiding citizen in the US should be writing to the State School Super regarding this issue.
I teach my kids they have the right to defend themselves all the time, and have used the 2A once before when one of them was attacked in school and defended himself. The principle said it was school rule to suspend anyone who was fighting. I said go ahead and my attorney will be in touch and cited the 2A. My son did NOT get suspended.

>note to self, prepare letter for FL Super today!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Don't look at it as "suspension." Look at it as "paid administrative leave."

SFCRetired

I read about this on another website and my reactions were, first of all, outrage and then thankfulness that I no longer have children in school. I do, however, worry about my grandchildren.

The nice thing about the grandkids is that I know Mom and Dad are teaching them right from wrong. I also know that neither Mom or Dad would put up with this kind of idiocy.

eye95

Our society is slowly being indoctrinated that we are no longer responsible for ourselves, that we must rely on the State to take care of us--including protecting us from those who have guns.

When someone else is responsible for you, they own you. They get to make the decisions that involve you. You have no Liberty. You are infantilized.

NO!

Let us be free. Let us be responsible for our own security.

acmariner99

Wow - that got me a little hot under the collar. Although this is not surprising at all. I recall when I was in elementary school, after being bullied repeatedly I was told to "turn them in" and "never get into a fight." If I stood up for someone or myself, I would find myself in the principal's office. It was "in my best interest" and "the teachers know what they are doing." Being a child I blindly complied. It never occurred to me to fight back because fighting at all was wrong. Needless to say it never stopped.

We-the-People

Wow - that got me a little hot under the collar. Although this is not surprising at all. I recall when I was in elementary school, after being bullied repeatedly I was told to "turn them in" and "never get into a fight." If I stood up for someone or myself, I would find myself in the principal's office. It was "in my best interest" and "the teachers know what they are doing." Being a child I blindly complied. It never occurred to me to fight back because fighting at all was wrong. Needless to say it never stopped.

I used to have that mentality in school. As the son of a local police officer someone was always pissed that a brother, father, or other relative had gotten a ticket and I was the closest thing they could take out their aggression on. My mother always told me all those things you said above. Then one day my father found out about the hassles I was going through and he sat me down. He said don't ever start a fight but if they start one, finish it...however I can. He also said BS on not throwing the first punch. If someone's in your face threatening you, take them down. Kick them in the groin, poke their eyes, whatever it takes to stop the threat.

Yes, I got suspended the next two times someone got in my face and made threats.....but then the threats stopped. It seems bullies don't like to bully those who are likely to inflict pain on them. The look on the school officials faces when they suggested that my father make sure I was stuck in the house while suspended was priceless as they heard his answer......"I'm not going to punish my son for defending himself when assaulted and when someone is in your face threatening to hit you, that is an assault". Oh and he was of course in uniform when he picked me up.

joanie

This shouldn't be suprizing. Defending one'self and/or others is kinda the unspoken crime. There are more than a few in jail for simply blocking punches to themselves when they were attacked.

Theres a humorious phrase going around where a global love cop says, "I'm here to protect you, even if I have to kill you" In any case, I'll look for this on youtube, maybe snatch it up and add it to my collection of examples of police corruption and abuse.

Watch them put those kids who stopped the shooting on a terror watch list. These kids won't be getting on a plane, they may even be denyed a driver's liscense.

WhistlingJack

I'd be willing to bet money that this is the result of a "Zero Tolerance Policy" at work, as ZTP's in school require any student involved in a physical altercation for any reason to be suspended. ZTP's are beyond stupid, and one could not ask for a better proof of that fact than this. The kid puts himself in danger and disarms someone threating the life of another, oh Zero Tolerance Policy, suspend him. Stupid, stupid, stupid, and we allow the people who make this level of stupidity a career teach our children.

*Apologies, did not realize this thread was a bit on the old side until after posting.*

Last edited:

joanie

Student suspended for Disarming Gunman on School bus, Cypress High School Florida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD4BGCzXFC0

Father Arrested for Daughter's Picture of Gun- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K96qJth5UQ8

boy suspended for imaginary grenade- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IJTpyCL9VI

School Girl Arrested For Saying No To Drugs- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb4xcdP2pVs

Fathers Guns taken over son's Water Gun- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMnHRK1v_-I

Hello Kitty Bubble Gun Gets 5year-old Suspended- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXS9emDKE3U

A new superintendent is in order

One superintendent in one school won't fix this problem. It's called the nanny state. This is condisioning from a globalist agenda 21 movment against freedom and rights. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

HP995

ZTP's are beyond stupid, and one could not ask for a better proof of that fact than this. The kid puts himself in danger and disarms someone threating the life of another, oh Zero Tolerance Policy, suspend him.

+1

The school actions don't make sense from any angle.

Hello Kitty Bubble Gun Gets 5year-old Suspended- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXS9emDKE3U

That's a Hi-Cap Sorta-Full-Auto Bubble Machine Gun!

If the individuals (officials) at the schools responsible for creating panics about bubble guns and drawings could be made to pay personally for the expenses involved, they might evaluate with just a little more common sense.