• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry laws and school grounds

frogfish

Hi guys, what are the NC statutes about OCing in your car while driving on or through school/university grounds?

I ask because I am buying a motorcycle and plan on OCing while on the bike, but I live just off campus and the best way to get to my apartment is to drive/ride through the university. Is OCing on my bike while riding on roads that go through the university illegal?

bc.cruiser

ON school/university grounds: Absolutely prohibited.
THROUGH: Depends on the school/university. If the road or street is part of the campus, then it's still a no-go. If it is a state road or city street and the university simply has buildings on either side, you MIGHT be okay. Example: NSCU in Raleigh. Western Boulevard and Hillsborough should be okay, but I certainly would avoid Cates or Dunn Ave and Stinson Dr.

ncwabbit

i am not an attorney....
sorry they are public thorough-fares built and maintained by taxpayers and not considered educational property per se. and you are passing through.

that stated, if you get back into a nook on a black-topped alley behind buildings on educational property then there could be cause for concern but then you got lost?

wabbit

frogfish

I'll be a bit more specific. Streets like Towerview Rd and Duke University Rd. that both run through Duke University? Both are used by the public quite often.

Is there any way to check what roads are private and what are public/maintained by the City of Durham?

bc.cruiser

i am not an attorney....
sorry they are public thorough-fares built and maintained by taxpayers and not considered educational property per se. and you are passing through.

that stated, if you get back into a nook on a black-topped alley behind buildings on educational property then there could be cause for concern but then you got lost?

wabbit

Neither am I, but I stand by what I said: If it is campus property, stay away; if it isn't you should be okay (no telling what the campus cops would do).

Duke University Rd is public; Towerview appears to be private (check the street sign; if it has an NC 4-digit number, it is usually public).

The city or county division of roadways will have a map, and the info about public/private status.

WalkingWolf

i am not an attorney....

wabbit
Without digging I tend to agree here, public access roads especially those that connect non university property are for public use. IMO the laws prohibiting carry on university property are for real-estate. I am not even sure if a arrest for a sidewalk would stand up in court.

carolina guy

Would seem to me, that most "roads" entering a college campus are generally posted, and have gun buster signs. Otherwise, they would have a difficult time explaining how a normal person can be expected to distinguish between normal public roads and university owned roads.

ncwabbit

Would seem to me, that most "roads" entering a college campus are generally posted, and have gun buster signs. Otherwise, they would have a difficult time explaining how a normal person can be expected to distinguish between normal public roads and university owned roads.

i have driven while OC'g and CC'g on public thoroughfares in 'university' areas of greenville, chapel hill, several in raleigh, and have yet to see a sign on any of those roads.

now going to RDU aeroport they have a sign on each of the inbound roads stating no weapons allowed which i find is interesting as i am allowed to xport my firearm(s) while traveling to and fro across this fine country.

wabbit

px: i will point out when the trooper ask'd me if i saw the speed limit sign the other night, i might have fib'd a bit and said yes...what i didn't tell the trooper was that it was a blur cuz i was going too fast to read what was on the sign. :monkey

gary737

......now going to RDU aeroport they have a sign on each of the inbound roads stating no weapons allowed which i find is interesting as i am allowed to xport my firearm(s) while traveling to and fro across this fine country......

What I find interesting about these signs is that you CAN check a firearm in as checked baggage when you fly. I wonder if in the event that you are arrested for carrying, could you argue the fact that they allow those people to have firearms help you?

WalkingWolf

i have driven while OC'g and CC'g on public thoroughfares in 'university' areas of greenville, chapel hill, several in raleigh, and have yet to see a sign on any of those roads.

now going to RDU aeroport they have a sign on each of the inbound roads stating no weapons allowed which i find is interesting as i am allowed to xport my firearm(s) while traveling to and fro across this fine country.

wabbit

px: i will point out when the trooper ask'd me if i saw the speed limit sign the other night, i might have fib'd a bit and said yes...what i didn't tell the trooper was that it was a blur cuz i was going too fast to read what was on the sign. :monkey

There are no signs at the Fayettenam airport, at least none that I saw a few weeks ago. I openly carried picking my wife up but I never went inside either. I haven't been to the RDU airport in several years, I opened carried there also outside of the terminals. I must not have paid close enough attention to signs, or they have been added in the last few years.

bc.cruiser

There are no signs at the Fayettenam airport, at least none that I saw a few weeks ago. I openly carried picking my wife up but I never went inside either. I haven't been to the RDU airport in several years, I opened carried there also outside of the terminals. I must not have paid close enough attention to signs, or they have been added in the last few years.

According to Fayetteville code of ordinances, CH 18-7, CC is not allowed; OC not mentioned.

WalkingWolf

According to Fayetteville code of ordinances, CH 18-7, CC is not allowed; OC not mentioned.

INAL, but I don't believe Fayetteville can ban OC on the roads leading to the airport, or in the terminal IF the airport is owned by a municipality. The preemption would prohibit it. Now that I know it is not private property, as far as I know they cannot ban OC on public property, only in secure areas.

That explains no signage.

carolina guy

wabbit

That sign going to RDU is just wishful thinking, meant to misinform.