Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: What's the most common question you get asked when OCing?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    6

    What's the most common question you get asked when OCing?

    Just wondering what's the most common question you guys and girls get asked when carrying.
    I usually get asked "what gun is that?" (Loved getting asked this one)
    "Do you have your ccw?" (Annoying IMO)
    "Is it loaded?" (Lmao! What good is a gun that's not loaded?!)

    Just curious to see how people react in your area. I'm in wichita.
    Also what do you OC?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Super6O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Goddard, KS
    Posts
    67

    What's the most common question you get asked when OCing?

    I have not been asked a single thing! (Yet)

    OC a glock 19 in Wichita area
    Last edited by Super6O; 03-03-2013 at 03:50 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Super6O View Post
    I have not been asked a single thing! (Yet)

    OC a glock 19 in Wichita area
    Nice! I OC a m&p 9 full size

  4. #4
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    "Can I see your weapons license?"... actually it's phrased more along the lines of "I Need to see your carry license" by someone wearing a shiny badge.
    I usually respond with, "I need twenty dollars, unless you're stopping me for a weapons infraction."

  5. #5
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,274
    ^^

    Try "I need $28.99 + tax." This should cover a box of WWB .45 FMJ ammo at Wlamart. Though, I have not bought any in quite some time and the price could be higher now.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    111
    I had one customer who asked me if I was a Security guard. She thought I was a plain clothes Police officer. When I told her I was a private citizen, she asked me if it was actually legal to carry a firearm, and I said yes.

    I had another guy ask me about what weapon I was carrying. He was actually surprised I was carrying a Hi-Point C-9.

    I've also had a few "negative" comments from people who didn't exactly like the fact that I was carrying a firearm, and have had two businesses tell me not to return with my weapon on me.

    I've had a few stares from "actual" Police officers. But so far, none of them have said anything about the fact that I carry. I did however have one officer greet me one day as I was leaving my apartment. (Chuckles) He actually thought he'd seen me somewhere before. He thought I might have been "on the Force." That actually was kinda fun that he thought he'd recognized me as an officer. I guess it was because I was carrying my "holstered" C-9 that day.

    I almost scared a woman at the Supercuts in Overland Park, KS. She didn't like the fact that I had my weapon on me while I was getting my hair cut one day. She said my weapon was making her nervous. And the other two hair dressers that were there really didn't seem all that comfortable with it either.

    And as I was filling up my car some weeks ago, I had a former Marine ask me about open carry and what weapon I was carrying. He also asked me about if it was legal to open carry. I told him yes, and I filled him in on some information that I thought he should know. He also said he was planning on open carrying as well.

    So, I've met a few interesting people and had a few not so good reactions. All in all, it's been pretty positive.
    Last edited by SixGunCowboy; 03-05-2013 at 01:28 AM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585

    Re: What's the most common question you get asked when OCing?

    Most common is am I a cop followed closely with is that a Kimber?

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #8
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382

    What's the most common question you get asked when OCing?

    Most common is "Are you a cop?"
    I say "no"
    followed by "Oh ok. is that the new concealed carry" (only a yr old in WI)
    to which I respond "Well it's not concealed so no. Though I do have the lic to do so."

    It varies from that point but usually there is some version of asking why I carry. Lol.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Super6O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Goddard, KS
    Posts
    67

    What's the most common question you get asked when OCing?

    The guys at the gun check in desk at Cabelas gave me a double take but went back to their work.

    A guy at walmart just about broke his neck craning it to eyeball me as he walked past the aisle i was in. Poor fella. Hope he didnt have to see a chiropractor!

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    "Did you know your hammer is cocked?"
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SixGunCowboy View Post
    I had one customer who asked me if I was a Security guard. She thought I was a plain clothes Police officer. When I told her I was a private citizen, she asked me if it was actually legal to carry a firearm, and I said yes.

    I had another guy ask me about what weapon I was carrying. He was actually surprised I was carrying a Hi-Point C-9.

    I've also had a few "negative" comments from people who didn't exactly like the fact that I was carrying a firearm, and have had two businesses tell me not to return with my weapon on me.

    I've had a few stares from "actual" Police officers. But so far, none of them have said anything about the fact that I carry. I did however have one officer greet me one day as I was leaving my apartment. (Chuckles) He actually thought he'd seen me somewhere before. He thought I might have been "on the Force." That actually was kinda fun that he thought he'd recognized me as an officer. I guess it was because I was carrying my "holstered" C-9 that day.

    I almost scared a woman at the Supercuts in Overland Park, KS. She didn't like the fact that I had my weapon on me while I was getting my hair cut one day. She said my weapon was making her nervous. And the other two hair dressers that were there really didn't seem all that comfortable with it either.

    And as I was filling up my car some weeks ago, I had a former Marine ask me about open carry and what weapon I was carrying. He also asked me about if it was legal to open carry. I told him yes, and I filled him in on some information that I thought he should know. He also said he was planning on open carrying as well.

    So, I've met a few interesting people and had a few not so good reactions. All in all, it's been pretty positive.
    I've yet to have a negative one yet but I did see an old neighbor at walmart the other day and convinced him to try and open carry. I bump to one LEO that I see a lot at work when I was OCing (off the clock) and started up a conversation about the m&p which is what he also carries for work. It was nice having a conversation and getting to talk about guns with a LEO and he really liked my m&p in FDE

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    6
    Also would anyone like to have an OC lunch event or something like that in wichita?

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    How many people have you killed today?

    Ans: not including you?

  14. #14
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,274
    Been thinking about it and I can only recall on statement, by a cop, and that was that my fly was open. The cop noticed my fly was open when he was trying to figure out what type of pistol I was carrying. other than that I do not recall any statements or questions. Look aplenty but no statements or questions.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  15. #15
    Regular Member Super6O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Goddard, KS
    Posts
    67

    What's the most common question you get asked when OCing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajs1991 View Post
    Also would anyone like to have an OC lunch event or something like that in wichita?
    Perhaps

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Hands down:

    "What kind of 1911 is that?"

  17. #17
    Regular Member Super6O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Goddard, KS
    Posts
    67

    What's the most common question you get asked when OCing?

    Was asked if I "Was a cop or something." That's just what the guy used as a conversation starter. I suspect he has considered getting a handgun just has not acted on it and seeing me reminded him. He was curious about what I preferred about OC (in a sincere way not judgmental about it)

  18. #18
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279

    What's the most common question you get asked when OCing?

    "Is that a 8 inch barrel or are you just happy to see me?"
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  19. #19
    Regular Member njkennelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    76

    What's the most common question you get asked when OCing?

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    "Is that a 8 inch barrel or are you just happy to see me?"
    You're almost twice the man I am. Mine's is only a 4.25" barrel. LOL.

    Though it was in NV, I had one LGS employee tell me that because I OC in an IWB holster that I was exposing a concealed firearm. I exchanged some "nice" words with him, which included citing the NV statute (which i won't do here seeins how this is the KS forum) then I moved along.

    BTW, I'm from Derby, and I carry a Sig 1911 TACOPS Carry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •