• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's the most common question you get asked when OCing?

Ajs1991

Just wondering what's the most common question you guys and girls get asked when carrying.
I usually get asked "what gun is that?" (Loved getting asked this one)
"Do you have your ccw?" (Annoying IMO)
"Is it loaded?" (Lmao! What good is a gun that's not loaded?!)

Just curious to see how people react in your area. I'm in wichita.
Also what do you OC?

Super6O

I have not been asked a single thing! (Yet)

OC a glock 19 in Wichita area

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

"Can I see your weapons license?"... actually it's phrased more along the lines of "I Need to see your carry license" by someone wearing a shiny badge.
I usually respond with, "I need twenty dollars, unless you're stopping me for a weapons infraction."

OC for ME

^^

Try "I need $28.99 + tax." This should cover a box of WWB .45 FMJ ammo at Wlamart. Though, I have not bought any in quite some time and the price could be higher now.

SixGunCowboy

I had one customer who asked me if I was a Security guard. She thought I was a plain clothes Police officer. When I told her I was a private citizen, she asked me if it was actually legal to carry a firearm, and I said yes.

I had another guy ask me about what weapon I was carrying. He was actually surprised I was carrying a Hi-Point C-9.

I've also had a few "negative" comments from people who didn't exactly like the fact that I was carrying a firearm, and have had two businesses tell me not to return with my weapon on me.

I've had a few stares from "actual" Police officers. But so far, none of them have said anything about the fact that I carry. I did however have one officer greet me one day as I was leaving my apartment. (Chuckles) He actually thought he'd seen me somewhere before. He thought I might have been "on the Force." That actually was kinda fun that he thought he'd recognized me as an officer. I guess it was because I was carrying my "holstered" C-9 that day.

I almost scared a woman at the Supercuts in Overland Park, KS. She didn't like the fact that I had my weapon on me while I was getting my hair cut one day. She said my weapon was making her nervous. And the other two hair dressers that were there really didn't seem all that comfortable with it either.

And as I was filling up my car some weeks ago, I had a former Marine ask me about open carry and what weapon I was carrying. He also asked me about if it was legal to open carry. I told him yes, and I filled him in on some information that I thought he should know. He also said he was planning on open carrying as well.

So, I've met a few interesting people and had a few not so good reactions. All in all, it's been pretty positive.

Last edited:

DamonK

Most common is am I a cop followed closely with is that a Kimber?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Sorcice

Most common is "Are you a cop?"
I say "no"
followed by "Oh ok. is that the new concealed carry" (only a yr old in WI)
to which I respond "Well it's not concealed so no. Though I do have the lic to do so."

It varies from that point but usually there is some version of asking why I carry. Lol.

Super6O

The guys at the gun check in desk at Cabelas gave me a double take but went back to their work.

A guy at walmart just about broke his neck craning it to eyeball me as he walked past the aisle i was in. Poor fella. Hope he didnt have to see a chiropractor!

Ajs1991

I had one customer who asked me if I was a Security guard. She thought I was a plain clothes Police officer. When I told her I was a private citizen, she asked me if it was actually legal to carry a firearm, and I said yes.

I had another guy ask me about what weapon I was carrying. He was actually surprised I was carrying a Hi-Point C-9.

I've also had a few "negative" comments from people who didn't exactly like the fact that I was carrying a firearm, and have had two businesses tell me not to return with my weapon on me.

I've had a few stares from "actual" Police officers. But so far, none of them have said anything about the fact that I carry. I did however have one officer greet me one day as I was leaving my apartment. (Chuckles) He actually thought he'd seen me somewhere before. He thought I might have been "on the Force." That actually was kinda fun that he thought he'd recognized me as an officer. I guess it was because I was carrying my "holstered" C-9 that day.

I almost scared a woman at the Supercuts in Overland Park, KS. She didn't like the fact that I had my weapon on me while I was getting my hair cut one day. She said my weapon was making her nervous. And the other two hair dressers that were there really didn't seem all that comfortable with it either.

And as I was filling up my car some weeks ago, I had a former Marine ask me about open carry and what weapon I was carrying. He also asked me about if it was legal to open carry. I told him yes, and I filled him in on some information that I thought he should know. He also said he was planning on open carrying as well.

So, I've met a few interesting people and had a few not so good reactions. All in all, it's been pretty positive.
I've yet to have a negative one yet but I did see an old neighbor at walmart the other day and convinced him to try and open carry. I bump to one LEO that I see a lot at work when I was OCing (off the clock) and started up a conversation about the m&p which is what he also carries for work. It was nice having a conversation and getting to talk about guns with a LEO and he really liked my m&p in FDE

OC for ME

Been thinking about it and I can only recall on statement, by a cop, and that was that my fly was open. The cop noticed my fly was open when he was trying to figure out what type of pistol I was carrying. other than that I do not recall any statements or questions. Look aplenty but no statements or questions.

Super6O

Was asked if I "Was a cop or something." That's just what the guy used as a conversation starter. I suspect he has considered getting a handgun just has not acted on it and seeing me reminded him. He was curious about what I preferred about OC (in a sincere way not judgmental about it)

njkennelly

"Is that a 8 inch barrel or are you just happy to see me?"

You're almost twice the man I am. Mine's is only a 4.25" barrel. LOL.

Though it was in NV, I had one LGS employee tell me that because I OC in an IWB holster that I was exposing a concealed firearm. I exchanged some "nice" words with him, which included citing the NV statute (which i won't do here seeins how this is the KS forum) then I moved along.

BTW, I'm from Derby, and I carry a Sig 1911 TACOPS Carry.