• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

best buy in wilson

ncwabbit

well, a first occurred for me this afternoon...i was thrown out of Wilson's best buy by the 'section manager' of the GEEK Squad.

i was trying to buy a floor model workstation and the sales lad couldn't answer my question so he went and got a manager and MikeD, intro'd himself as the 'section manager' of computers came over w/a whole bunch of attitude telling me they couldn't do what i was asking as they had to remove a 'sales' promo program installed on the machine and it would take two days to do so. When i pointed out that if he went to control panel, programs, they could delete it in about 15 minutes. then MikeD got even more defensive and stated his technician had to rearrange the registry and so forth and there was no way he was putting me in front of other customers just to accommodate me. he went on to state he was tired of playing 'GEEK one-up-man-ship with me!!' and "by the way guns are not allowed in the store and to please take it to the car if i wanted to finish the transaction". i smiled and thanked him and walked away to browse in the store for the other items i needed. got to the back and couldn't find what i was looking for so was walking down an aisle towards the exit and MikeD came screaming over 'i told you you were not welcome in the store w/that gun on!!" i smiled and said i was still shopping and his face got redder and his kept repeatedly telling me to leave with my gun...I asked what Best Buy's corporate policy was and he screamed 'he didn't care as it was his policy no guns and he was enforcing it'.

i asked for the manager and was told he was the manager and i pointed out calmly he initially stated he was only the section manager of the GEEK squad as his name tag stated and i had left his area of responsibility. so could i speak to the manager? he then pronounced at the top of his lungs he was manager of the store for the day and to get out of his store...ok, if he professed to be the MOD, then i have been appropriately requested to leave...so i sauntered to towards the door with him screaming to leave with my gun. as he stood in the entrance way screaming to leave, i again calmly advised him it wasn't i who had violated the law...

anyone have insight into appropriate way to contact best buy's corp weenies?

Wabbit

Ps: at no time did i mention they needed to put up a sign telling folk they are not welcome in best buy.

Pps: MikeD almost made an error in judgement by grabbing my arm and pushing me towards the door...

ppps: drove to garner and w/fiream on my side went to best buy spent my $1K for my workstation w/o anyone saying a word.

Last edited:

NCBobD

I'm sorry, the moment you were asked to leave and didn't you were committing trespass and could've been arrested. Not smart for you, really bad for the image of gun owners!

ncwabbit

I'm sorry, the moment you were asked to leave and didn't you were committing trespass and could've been arrested. Not smart for you, really bad for the image of gun owners!

take a breath mate, by NC statutes (14‑159.11 - 13) in order to be arrested for trespass, i must remain on the property after asked to leave by someone in control of the property (14-159. 13(a)(1) and not some lowly clerk or lackey and if you will re-read my post, you will note MikeD initially stated he was manager of the GEEK squad as it stated on his name tag!

therefore, he has no standing on control of the property at that point. however, if you would continue to re-read, when i, later in the encounter, asked for THE manager, he stated he was MOD! he, rightly or wrongly, then elevated himself to the position of responsible agent of the property and as noted in my post i departed!! therefore trespass did not occur in any way, shape, or form.

as for the bad image of gun owners, twas not me screaming or throwing a hissy fit...he was!!

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_22B.html

wabbit

ps: interestingly, the bloke standing next to me was CC'g...^_^

pps: please a favor, in the future, the internet is your friend, therefore, ensure of the applicable guidance from the cite listed above before slinging misinformation...thanks!

Last edited:

razor_baghdad

Ohio

Here's a recent thread from Ohio:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?101850-No-guns-in-best-buy

BEST BUY's POLICY

from Customer Contact <CustomerContact@bestbuy.com>
to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
date Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 7:31 PM
subject Best Buy Gun policy - XXXXXXXX
mailed-by bestbuy.com

Best Buy strives to comply with all applicable law and statues. Best Buy also strives to provide a safe and comfortable shopping environment for all our customers. Best Buy does not ban guns at our retail locations. As a general rule, Best Buy does not post “no guns allowed” signs in our stores and we are not aware of any individual stores that might have posted such a sign.

and from Kentucky:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-list-of-OC-friendly-or-unfriendly-businesses

Write Corporate and report MikeD.

J-SiN

DEf call corporate and raise a fuss
Dont Just "let it go"
Follow through the proper channels mate!

B. Reddy

thanks mate...and perchance what was the policy then?

wabbit

Wabbit- You might try calling their regional office and ask for the District Supervisor for that store and ask why someone would be put in charge of a multi-million dollar operation who does not care to follow corporate policies.

"My District Manager’s name is Rob Serger and he can be reached at rob.serger@bestbuy.com or 216-849-6352."

http://stores.bestbuy.com/1892/announcement/meet-your-gm-2/

If you don't get a decent answer from the District, might try calling HQ in Minn. But, the number on the web site probably goes directly to an intern in the basement and you may get one of the many canned responses available on the OC forum like this:

"Dear Ryan,

Thank you for contacting Best Buy regarding carrying concealed weapons in their stores. We do not ban handguns nor do we post ?no guns allowed? signs in any store location. Our approach to firearms is to comply with all state laws and to address each individual customer situation/scenario/concern as it arises. I do apologize if you were misinformed by one of our agents.

Diane
Purchase Support Team " http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?106495-Best-Buy-policy-change

Contact Us

Need immediate assistance?
Please call or chat.
1-888-BEST BUY
(1-888-237-8289)

Compliments or concerns?
Please e-mail onlinestore@bestbuy.com
Best Buy Corporate Customer Care
P.O. Box 9312
Minneapolis, MN 55440

Wow- I just did a Google site search for the Open Carry Forum and amazingly, the first result shows that even their flagship store, just down the street from corporate HQ, even gets the policy wrong!

https://www.google.com/search?num=1...0j1j1.2.0.les;..0.0...1c.1.5.serp.d2MgPuQqwXA

Good Luck!

ncwabbit

j-sin, ye of little faith, i have already called and calmly told corp how their manager reacted and handled the situation.

initially, i was told by the gentleman who answered the corp fone, best buy DOES NOT allow firearms in their stores. when i asked what policy that was, i was told to wait a moment and 2 minutes later the gentleman corrected himself and read verbatim what B stated. I was informed BB has a policy that these types of complaints must be handed off to management for resolution after minimal note taking.

i will advise what transpires over the next couple of days...

wabbit

ps: my goal is to get an apology from MikeD in the store w/my pistol on.

bc.cruiser

Best Buy has some good stuff at decent prices. I do not shop there. I refuse to support a company who is known as a "platinum level" supporter of CAIR, which is recognized by the US as an organization that supports Hamas.

When I did, I used to OC right on by the city cop working security at the door. No one in the store ever said a word to me.

carolina guy

I have been building, repairing, and servicing PCs for 25 years and I have never heard such a thing. :what:

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

Methinks that the "manager" knows not what he speaketh. :) (said as another 20+ year techie)

+1 to ncwabbit!

Last edited:

ncwabbit

I have been building, repairing, and servicing PCs for 25 years and I have never heard such a thing. :what:
Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

my geekness goes back to vacuum tube computers to present and neither had i which is why i challenged him on it...

wabbit...

carolina guy

my geekness goes back to vacuum tube computers to present and neither had i which is why i challenged him on it...

wabbit...

Geeks not wanting to try to out-geek another geek, is simply not a geek...maybe he was afraid of a Klingon promotion call in his department. ;)

Hrcnsfan

Way to go on keeping your cool. Sounds like you handled it most appropriately while the employee lost his cool and made himself look foolish. And yeah, I frequent the Best Buy at White Oak in Garner while open carrying and have never had any trouble.

ncwabbit

since i haven't heard back in a week, i once again called corp and was told by the new CRep - supervisors do not call back customers when there is a complaint. therefore nothing occurred since my last call.

the new customer service rep took notes AGAIN as he listened to my tale of woe and then stated: are you sure this occurred as you are stating? did you use that tone of voice as it sounds like you are very condescending! (explained it was the tone i used to discuss to best buy's manager who was so agitated he was spitting as he spoke) CRep - it was sounds like i need to get our attorneys involved? CRep what are your expectations? (training for mgr? and possibly an apology?) CRep - oh why don't you call the store and ask for the general manager's fone number and contact this individual directly? (advised this gentleman i tried but employees wouldn't give it to me stating they weren't allowed to give it out?) query back to CRep - do you have their number so i can contact them - 'i'm sorry i do not have it!" (really - you are a corp representative ??) query from me - why doesn't the CRep contact the DMgr and set up a meeting with myself, the Geek Sq Mgr and the DMgr to discuss the issue? CRep - they are very busy and that probably won't happen!

28 minutes later i ended the logic circling call stating, two calls to corp were enough i would follow the concept if one person complains there are upwards of 20 ppl who do not but take their business elsewhere and tell their friends not to shop there also. I did not advise i was putting this tale out on a national forum nor did i say how many firearm carrying ppl i run across on a daily, weekly, monthly basis who will be bored as i tell them not to shop at this best buy store but rather drive the twenty miles down the road to the other one.

wabbit

Last edited:

J-SiN

This makes me mad, they wont do anything but argue with you?
No good information or resolution suggested.

How did the call end? Do we need to get everyone on this site to start calling corporate?

Northerner

Amazing story Wabbit. I have OC'd in the Wilson BB since it opened without issue. I don't work in Wilson anymore, but at least every two weeks I get my haircut down on Airport. Me thinks I need to take stroll through BB for some possible deals.