• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

michigan resident out of state cpl

FORD78

I was reading a prior post on this forum and didnt book mark it :( It was my understanding that if you are a michigan resident and have a non resident CPL that it would not be honored for CC but would allow OC anywhere that a resident CPL would. Maybe it was just a wording loophole but i think it specificaly said OC was allowed with a non resident CPL from "any state" no reference to which state you are a resident of. For CC i know it does state must be resident of state which your permit is issued. Has this been changed or has anyone tested the waters on that one? If i can find it again i will quote the users exact question on post.

TheQ

I was reading a prior post on this forum and didnt book mark it :( It was my understanding that if you are a michigan resident and have a non resident CPL that it would not be honored for CC but would allow OC anywhere that a resident CPL would. Maybe it was just a wording loophole but i think it specificaly said OC was allowed with a non resident CPL from "any state" no reference to which state you are a resident of. For CC i know it does state must be resident of state which your permit is issued. 1. Has this been changed 2. or has anyone tested the waters on that one? If i can find it again i will quote the users exact question on post.

1. Read MCL 750.234d. The language hasn't changed since the post you are referring to.
2. No one has "tested the waters", that I know of -- ex: gone to court over it or set any otherwise binding precedent.

FORD78

Thanks for the info was posting for a friend who is a current michigan resident but still has a valid out of state CPL and will likely be moving away before he could even obtain a resident CPL

FORD78

Michigan honors all other Resident Permits/Licenses to carry concealed firearms.
Michigan Does Not Honor Non-Resident Permits/Licenses. You must be a resident of the state they honor for your permit to be valid in Michigan

1362404307/**http://handgunlaw.us/states/michigan.pdf

But no where in actual michigan law do i see that....

xmanhockey7

Michigan honors all other Resident Permits/Licenses to carry concealed firearms.
Michigan Does Not Honor Non-Resident Permits/Licenses. You must be a resident of the state they honor for your permit to be valid in Michigan

1362404307/**http://handgunlaw.us/states/michigan.pdf

But no where in actual michigan law do i see that....

They're referring to concealed carry.
750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.
(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution. (b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the
Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Thanks for the info was posting for a friend who is a current michigan resident but still has a valid out of state CPL and will likely be moving away before he could even obtain a resident CPL

Tangentially related to the OC by a Michigan resident question: is your friend truly a Michigan resident under the law?
See MCL 28.425b

Last edited:

FORD78

By that law yes would be considered a legal resident. There surely must be an easier way to write and police these laws.

FreeInAZ

By that law yes would be considered a legal resident. There surely must be an easier way to write and police these laws.

Can't do that - it is easier to make everything tricky - this keeps: them, the lawyers, the police and the jailers employed...:eek:

No sarcasm intended.

Last edited: