• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive Open Carry Experience With Metro

Harley

Just though I would share this story that happened tonight.

I was stopped by metro because I pulled out of a parking lot without headlights on. He later explained that he stopped me thinking I was DUI due to no lights. I told him right from the start that I had a legal loaded firearm on my right side and he asked a few questions about what specific firearm it was. He then asked where my DL was and I told him right side back pocket. He had me take it out and shined his light on my gun as I leaned to get my wallet. He then ran my info and came back, we chit chatted for a few moments about the Vegas weather, crackheads, hookers, annoying people, etc. and the last thing he said to me was....... "I'm actually glad to see you carrying and I totally support it. I believe that more people should. Take care and have a good night":shocker:

I was totally shocked at how positive he was about it. Especially after reading the horror stories and such about bad experiences with LEO's and OC.

Just goes to show I guess that there ARE still a few good ones out there......

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I was totally shocked at how positive he was about it. Especially after reading the horror stories and such about bad experiences with LEO's and OC.

Just goes to show I guess that there ARE still a few good ones out there......

The bad experiences get some press because of how rare they are. ESPECIALLY now, because we have some great guys here that have been through the ringer and then went back and whacked a few Metro wienies over it. Metro has been retrained, so even the bad ones don't hassle too much, even though sometimes you will still be disarmed "for officer safety" during a stop.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your experience!

in4low

I enjoy reading posts like this one, makes living in this city more enjoyable and safer :banana:

turborich

My friend was recently stopped for speeding by a Metro motorcycle cop. The officer asked if there were any weapons in the vehicle and my friend replied Yes, under the front seat. The officer ran his info, issued a ticket for speeding and never mentioned anything about the firearm again. There are some good ones out there.

MP_4_Life

My friend was recently stopped for speeding by a Metro motorcycle cop. The officer asked if there were any weapons in the vehicle and my friend replied Yes, under the front seat. The officer ran his info, issued a ticket for speeding and never mentioned anything about the firearm again. There are some good ones out there.

That's amazing, most motorcycle cops I've encountered or seen, are rude and usually complete dicks about everything. Glad to hear their getting nicer ^^

Hey Mac702, when a officer does disarm you for their safety, is the only thing you can do is file a complaint about unlawful search and seizure? Or does that not apply in Nevada when they claim it's for their protection?

TrmptPlyr

I wonder if there's any law about temporarily obscuring the serial no.? The thought being you could put a tamper evident sticker on it and inform the officer that you will allow them to hold your weapon for the duration of the stop but that you DO NOT consent to search of your person or property including serial number searches. You're not REMOVING the serial, just obscuring it from casual observation...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That's amazing, most motorcycle cops I've encountered or seen, are rude and usually complete dicks about everything. Glad to hear their getting nicer ^^

Hey Mac702, when a officer does disarm you for their safety, is the only thing you can do is file a complaint about unlawful search and seizure? Or does that not apply in Nevada when they claim it's for their protection?

I THINK they have specifically been okay'd to handle our loaded weapons "for officer safety." While I've once written to the NHP about one particularly idiotic rookie, I doubt any letters of either type will see anyone who cares to add it all together.

I've experienced nicer bike cops than cagers. I see it as my public duty to drive fast so I can compile all my experiences with LEOs.

reconnoiter

Thanks for your story, it is something I have become accustomed to while dealing with Metro. Maybe I have just been lucky enough to encounter the good ones. I actually have never had a bad experience with Metro when OC. 2 years ago when I first started OC, I was hesitant to do it because I have heard some bad stories about LEO treatment towards OC. I OC almost daily, and anytime I have run into Metro it usually turns into a discussion about what guns we both have. The one time I have been pulled over while OC, I had a shoulder holster so he was staring at the gun. However, not once did he mention it, and he proceeded to issue my speeding ticket and went about his way.

Nevada carrier

You used to be able to tell right away that you didn't have your headlights on, but these days, new cars back light your instrument pannel and it will dim after you switch them on. In my car I set the dimmer quite low because it's pretty bright. even in the day time. Many people don't realize that their lights aren't on in well lit areas. I see more and more people driving around without their lights on, even some on the freeway which has cause some real close calls when they're passing you at high speed. Not saying this should be classified as RAS for a traffic stop, butanymore, they can use almost anything to initiate a stop and smell.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

^^

Not trying to step on Mac 702's toes,

As far as I know Terry v. Ohio still is the law of the land in this instance.

Where an officer has reason to believe that he is dealing with an armed and dangerous individual, he may conduct a reasonable search for weapons for the protection of the police officer, regardless of whether he has probable cause to arrest the individual for a crime.
emphasis added

Source: http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=17773604035873288886&q=terry+v.+ohio&hl=en&as_sdt=2,29

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
As I mentioned, I do not KNOW the answer here.

BUT, conducting a search for weapons, and temporarily disarming a known armed individual during a lawful stop are two different things, I would assume.

EDIT: I would like to know for sure, because I've been disarmed enough (especially by people not knowing how to do it) and would like to start declining their "request."

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

As I mentioned, I do not KNOW the answer here.

BUT, conducting a search for weapons, and temporarily disarming a known armed individual during a lawful stop are two different things, I would assume.

EDIT: I would like to know for sure, because I've been disarmed enough (especially by people not knowing how to do it) and would like to start declining their "request."

The "search" that was mentioned by the court refers to what we know today as a "PAT DOWN" If I am confronted with a pat down, I immediately put my hands in the surrender position, but not too high, and verbally articulate that I DO NOT CONSENT TO SEARCHES! (knowing quite well that the Cop will not stop, and some may even look at it as a challenge to their authority)

As he is patting me down I keep him busy with:
Sir when you get a moment, will you please articulate the totality of circumstances which caused you to perceive me as a danger? (required in terry v. ohio)

This is when they start in with "well I don't know that your not a bad guy...blah blah blah." It is always about what they do not know.

After I have been patted and am only being detained:

I respond with "okay so you are admitting that you didn't know anything that makes me anymore dangerous than that Gentleman?" (pointing to random person.)

He will most likely respond with " I am not dealing with that person, I am dealing with you."

Me: "So the armed and dangerous criteria does not apply any longer?"

Cop: are we done here?

Me if I have time : can you get your supervisor out here to explain this new law to me, and can he bring a copy?

The trick is to change the topic from your detention to their improper application of law. If you get a supervisor Etc. it will not bring a positive conclusion right away, but they definitely will have something to talk about! If you are not cited or arrested, Get a Event # name and P# ALWAYS !

The change will come but with no admission of wrongdoing.... This is not a "instant gratification" line of work.