• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky OC questions.

RickyD

Hi All,

I am considering OC in Kentucky however I have some questions. What is considered concealed? If part of pistol is covered? What holster does everyone recommend? Which ones not to use? I have sent off for my CCDW and should have it by end of April but in the interim would like to open carry. I am just trying to educate myself before I strap on a pistol and go walking around.

Orion_13

Keep it outside the waist band and make sure your shirt doesn't cover it. I don't tuck my shirt but I make sure it is up and over the holster. The kind/type of holster might depend on what kind of gun you have. Is it a revolver, glock, or 1911? Everyone is going to have an opinion based on the type of gun you say. You will probably go through two or three before you figure out what you DON'T like before you figure out what you DO like. If you have friends see if you can borrow their holsters to try out. That will save you some money in figuring this out.

Orion

Orion_13

Oh, I'm OC'ing too while waiting on my CCDW permit. But since I've been OCing the last three weeks I'm starting to see the CCDW not as something to do all the time but as something that will allow me to carry in places and times not "appropriate" or "sensitive" to guns. Basically those points when you see signs no guns allowed by owner, blah, blah, blah. Those times are good CCDW times. Around family you don't want to listen about it from... ;) you get my point.

Orion

09jisaac

Hi All,

I am considering OC in Kentucky however I have some questions. What is considered concealed? If part of pistol is covered? What holster does everyone recommend? Which ones not to use? I have sent off for my CCDW and should have it by end of April but in the interim would like to open carry. I am just trying to educate myself before I strap on a pistol and go walking around.

Kentucky actually has a statute (I don't remember the KRS #) that says, unless otherwise defined, all words mean the common meaning of the word.

So Kentucky has no proper definition of "concealed" but most common dictionaries will.

Orion_13

I carry a Glock 23 in a BlackHawk Serpa CQC holster. I like it a lot more than the Fobus.

Great! I see no issues with that holster. Just make sure your jacket, coat, or shirt doesn't cover it up when you get out of your car. It is easy to forget when you are running errands around town. You would think, no way, how can you forget almost two pounds of stuff strapped to your side. Let me just remind you that we have wife's, work, and friends calling us on cell phones and all it takes is one calling while your are getting out of your car. Ever locked your keys in the car? See it can happen. LOL

One word about the holster you have. I heard the horror stories of that holster and I don't really see it as a holster issue but a training issue. People either get sloppy or lack the knowledge/training to operate the holster per design. Instead of leaving their finger flat to the holster they will have a bend in it almost like they are getting ready to insert it into the trigger guard. When the push on the release and then pull the gun out quickly their finger with only the tip now pushing the release will fall into the trigger guard area of the gun. Next is an accidental discharge of the weapon. Like I said in my opinion this isn't a flaw in the holster but a training or knowledge issue. But I just wanted to pass along the word of advice. Take it for what it is worth.

Orion