• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The most important oc hearing of 2013!!!!!!!

mspgunner

Tentitively to be heard March 12 is the premption bill for OC in Missouri!
If there was ever the most important reason to call in sik, take a vacation day or go AWOL from work or school this is it!
This bill removes "Municipal" prohibition for OC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SB 268 Repeals authority for political subdivisions to regulate open carrying of firearms and requires certain local ordinances incorporate statutory justifications

Sponsor: Nieves

LR Number: 1331S.01I Fiscal Note not available
Committee:
Last Action: 2/6/2013 - S First Read--SB 268-Nieves Journal Page:
Title: Calendar Position: 58
Effective Date: August 28, 2013

Full Bill Text
| All Actions
| Amendments/CCRs/CCSs
| Available Summaries
| Senate Home Page
| List of 2013 Senate Bills

Current Bill Summary

SB 268 - Under current law, political subdivisions may enact ordinances regulating the open carrying of firearms. This act removes that authority so political subdivisions may not regulate the open carrying of firearms.
This act also requires that local ordinances regulating the discharge of firearms incorporate justification defenses provided by statute, which include self defense, defense of others, and defense of property.
MEGHAN LUECKE

mspgunner

this is good news! come one come all!!

There are not a lot of responses to this post. OC preemption is what many cry out for on this forum. Believe me, it doesn't just happen, you have to work for it. I've invested 11 years in the political arena and a group of OCers I've worked with for three years have been meeting with legislators, working on bills and wording to get us to this point after the failure last year when we went far before being side lined. We have worked with our friends and foes to get this bill moving. Show up for the hearing (if held Tuesday the 12th) and speak up for a right denied.

We get what we work for, do nothing... that's what you'll get. This is a very difficult bill to get through, no one is just going to wave a magic wand and make it happen.

The OC forum (here) is where we "Chat", chat does not change the law in Missouri. 2 months to go in the legislative session. I assure you this is my last year to do this, now or never, do or die.

Griz

damn, never mind. i think i have mandatory training. will have to check tomorrow and get back to you

Last edited:

WCEarp

If someone with experience speaking at a hearing would pm me with the basics of how one goes about being heard at a hearing.

Do you sign up in advance?
Does the General Laws committee have a mandatory time limit?
The logistics of getting there and what building/room.
How the hearings are usually conducted? Do legislators speak first or last? Are multiple bills heard at once or seperately?

I'm getting in contact with my Senator to ask the same questions, but would like to hear from someone who remembers what it is like the first time they spoke at a hearing.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help out a Jefferson City newbee like me.

Broondog

If someone with experience speaking at a hearing would pm me with the basics of how one goes about being heard at a hearing. Do you sign up in advance? Does the General Laws committee have a mandatory time limit? The logistics of getting there and what building/room. How the hearings are usually conducted? Do legislators speak first or last? Are multiple bills heard at once or seperately? I'm getting in contact with my Senator to ask the same questions, but would like to hear from someone who remembers what it is like the first time they spoke at a hearing. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help out a Jefferson City newbee like me.
i was told that you don't have to speak anymore than "i support this bill". this will be my first hearing too and i'm interested to see what goes on. i am not good at talking in front of folks but i will be there.

mspgunner

I'll try to address both of the above.

The hearings are held in the Missouri State Capitol in Jefferson City.
The buildinjg is very easy to find, parking though can be tough. The easiest parking is two blocks to the north east in the public garage.
The eharings for the Senate are held in Senate hearing room #1 at 3:00PM.
Don't be late!
They may hear more than 1 bill, unknown at this time.
They only have from 3:00 till 5:00 for the hearing, then the senate goes back into session.
The chairman, Senator Nieves will ask for a show of hands so he can break down the time available for each speaker., you probably will only get 3 minutes.
On the table in the front of the room are "witness forms". for anyone wishing to speak, they are simple, just asking for your name, address, the bill # you wish to speak on and whether you are speaking in favor or against. Fill it out early and just leave it on the table.
The senator who sponsors the bill will speak first and field questions. Those in favor will speak next, those opposed next and those with information only last.
Once you speak YOU CANNOT SPEAK AGAIN!
Once everyone is done the sposoring legislator will once again be available to answer questions. The environment is generally NOT intimidating.
Yes, you can just say "I support this bill", you may want to ad why briefly and you can read froma "speech", but you present better if you just look at the senators and speak. You are not obligated to use the entire time allowed.
Be sure you know the bill # you are speaking on. The preemption bill we want passed is SB268 by Nieves. There may be other bills, but usually no more than 3 at these hearings.

Please do show up!

peterarthur

There are not a lot of responses to this post. OC preemption is what many cry out for on this forum. Believe me, it doesn't just happen, you have to work for it. I've invested 11 years in the political arena and a group of OCers I've worked with for three years have been meeting with legislators, working on bills and wording to get us to this point after the failure last year when we went far before being side lined. We have worked with our friends and foes to get this bill moving. Show up for the hearing (if held Tuesday the 12th) and speak up for a right denied.

We get what we work for, do nothing... that's what you'll get. This is a very difficult bill to get through, no one is just going to wave a magic wand and make it happen.

The OC forum (here) is where we "Chat", chat does not change the law in Missouri. 2 months to go in the legislative session. I assure you this is my last year to do this, now or never, do or die.

Well, geez, it's emailed after 11 pm and some of us have a job that comes before personal email... lol. I just got to my OC.org updates email, some of us can't hover over the updates page all day :)

Why don't you wait a day or two before complaining how no one is responding :) Some of us don't even know a post has occurred usually until the day after. Unfortunately, some of us have work appointments on projects costing thousands of dollars that we can't just "skip out" on. I am booked 2 months in advance and a sick day usually requires a note from a doc since I bill out at $275 an hour... lol. Still, I might try it anyway... hehe...

mspgunner

Not jumping on anyone's case. Just sharing the information. If you can show up, show up.
The hearing is not for sure. I am notified in advance that it will probably be next Tuesday even if it is not on the public site as yet.
This was sent to me so we can get as many people as possible to the hearing.
I can't give more advanced warning then advanced warning.
There are some who will give up a day pay or take a vacation day, there are those who will skip school for a day.
The decisions are yours. A few on the forum have given much to make this bill a reality, just do what you can.
If nothign else, email your Senator and ask them to support this Senate Bill!

This is not going to be easy to get to the senate floor for debate, same in the House. Doing anything is better then doing nothing.

If it makes it to a House Committee hearing there isa good chance I'll only have three days notice.
I believe the senate hearing will be easier... more friendly then the House hearing if and when we ever get one. I've addressed the House General Laws committee already this year. There are two not so 2A friendly House committee members. One of which i dealt with last year as well. We are building a relationship. I think I'll ask Rep. Colona if he wants to go shooting, my treat!

Well, geez, it's emailed after 11 pm and some of us have a job that comes before personal email... lol. I just got to my OC.org updates email, some of us can't hover over the updates page all day :)

Why don't you wait a day or two before complaining how no one is responding :) Some of us don't even know a post has occurred usually until the day after. Unfortunately, some of us have work appointments on projects costing thousands of dollars that we can't just "skip out" on. I am booked 2 months in advance and a sick day usually requires a note from a doc since I bill out at $275 an hour... lol. Still, I might try it anyway... hehe...

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I am booked 2 months in advance and a sick day usually requires a note from a doc since I bill out at $275 an hour... lol. Still, I might try it anyway... hehe...

Dr. LMTD will be available to prescribe a couple of days rest due to stress imposed by the government quashing of your rights for the last 28 yeas, the organized therapeutic discussions will only take place once this year and it would do you a world of good and make you a more productive employee.

Cleared it yesterday with my boss, I got a vacation day!

woo hoo!

mspgunner

Dr. LMTD will be available to prescribe a couple of days rest due to stress imposed by the government quashing of your rights for the last 28 yeas, the organized therapeutic discussions will only take place once this year and it would do you a world of good and make you a more productive employee.

Cleared it yesterday with my boss, I got a vacation day!

woo hoo!

Just checked the senate sight and talked with the senator's office, still not 100% sure, but probably will have the hearing March 12th.

kylemoul

Due to work I would not be able to attend but I wish I could. Some of our techs will be out on a job and have to hold the fort down.

mpsgunner and everyone else who shows up I thank you for the hard work and time. I hope for the best!

Morpheus97

It is impossible for me to take off from work March 12th. I have a vendor flying in from out of state to meet with my team and I most of that day in regards to a large, critical project we are working on. If the hearing gets scheduled for March 19th instead I can probably make it.

mspgunner

It is impossible for me to take off from work March 12th. I have a vendor flying in from out of state to meet with my team and I most of that day in regards to a large, critical project we are working on. If the hearing gets scheduled for March 19th instead I can probably make it.

We should know Thursday afternoon...

Broondog

if it gets put off till the 19th i will cancel my dentist appt!

i don't wanna go there anyway. :eek:

i'm off on tuesdays so just bring it.

Last edited: