• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Neighborhood kids all think I'm a cop.

Nevada carrier

So, I'm out in my front yard smoking a cigarette when some neighbor kids are out goofing off after school as I'm heading back inside I hear one of the kids, (middle school age) point in my direction, telling his fireind "Don't you know that's a cop over their!" I chuckled and went back inside. I don't know what precipitated the statement the kid made, and I honestly don't care; kids do what kids do. But if their asumption means that they're going to behave a bit more like ladies and gentlmen in the neigborhood, I won't complain.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They thought you were a cop because only a cop could get away with flagrantly violating the "no smoking in your own front yard" ordinance... Oh wait, we aren't quite there yet, are we?

MP_4_Life

They thought you were a cop because only a cop could get away with flagrantly violating the "no smoking in your own front yard" ordinance... Oh wait, we aren't quite there yet, are we?

Not quite yet Mac, but give it time. As people from Cali come here, it's only a matter of time before those laws follow.

And in response to the OP, I agree. I wouldn't correct them really since they will act better at least around your house since they think your a cop. I find most kids that age (middle school) think only cops carry guns in the open. So that is probably why they said that, probably saw your gun or seen it before.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Or you could take the opportunity to provide a little education and just tell that that you're a citizen exercising your rights. Correct their assumption and you just might spark their interest. Never too early to talk to young ones about our rights. :)

Nevada carrier

Or you could take the opportunity to provide a little education and just tell that that you're a citizen exercising your rights. Correct their assumption and you just might spark their interest. Never too early to talk to young ones about our rights. :)

There are a lot of irrational assumptions that could be made if I were seen engaging childeren in the neigborhood outside of their parrent's supervision. The last thing I need is some kid to cook up a story about "what the guy accross the streed said/did," when there's no way for me to coroborate my side of the story. Kids can misunderstand things, and when they tell the only part of the story that they understtod to another adult, who then has no context for what was really going on, God only knows what kind of accusations can be made. Yeah, I don't need that kind of drama in my life. Perhaps one day when I invite the neigbor's family over for a barbeque. There is a time and place for everything, and you don't want to be the only adault involved when someone else's kids are concerned.

OC for ME

This is exactly why we have problems in this country, folks wanting other folks, who are not a kid's parents to teach that kid.

Nevada carrier, you did it just right. If the kids don't get "educated" by their parents it is that kid's problem not yours.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

I think I should clarify myself. I was not my intention to imply that you did anything wrong. I live in a very close-knit neighborhood where everyone is comfortable with everyone else. I know all of the neighborhood kids by name and they know mine. I also have a child. I do not leave uncomfortable having a conversation with them. I can see where one might be uncomfortable in that situation and I understand why you would not approach or talk to the kids. There are two approaches to the situation, both equally valid depending on the circumstances. I offer my apologies if any offense was taken.

As far as "educating" them, I see it the same way as when I inform an adult that open carry is legal, certainly not taking the the responsibility of teaching away from the parents.

TrmptPlyr

There are a lot of irrational assumptions that could be made if I were seen engaging childeren in the neigborhood outside of their parrent's supervision. The last thing I need is some kid to cook up a story about "what the guy accross the streed said/did," when there's no way for me to coroborate my side of the story. Kids can misunderstand things, and when they tell the only part of the story that they understtod to another adult, who then has no context for what was really going on, God only knows what kind of accusations can be made. Yeah, I don't need that kind of drama in my life. Perhaps one day when I invite the neigbor's family over for a barbeque. There is a time and place for everything, and you don't want to be the only adault involved when someone else's kids are concerned.

Oh if I could count the ways you were right in that post....

My kid (5) was given a cookie or two by our downstairs neighbor when we lived in an apartment. From that point forward, without saying anything to us about it, he was always "full" at the breakfast/lunch/dinner table... Then when he went out to play he would always ask people for cookies because...... big surprise..... KIDS LIKE COOKIES!! So this neighbor assumed we had no food in the house, and without even talking to us about anything, called CPS.... Who came knocking at my door, interrogating me, looking around my home, speaking with my wife, demanding to see our 1 year old, speaking to my 5 yr old AT SCHOOL and WITHOUT CONSENT OR PARENTAL PRESENCE... Speaking with neighbors, teachers, etc... Regardless of the fact that (to no surprise of mine) the case was dismissed as "unsubstantiated" I have 0 recourse to go after the libelous slandering son of a b***** neighbor who made the false claim, and not only that, regardless of their ruling, all the people who CPS spoke with now see us as a potentially abusive and/or unfit home and a CPS claim is now on our record... so if in the future (god forbid) anything were to happen to one of my children, or a child who came to my home, I GUARANTEE that will come up and IMMEDIATELY make my wife and I suspect...

The Big Guy

Oh if I could count the ways you were right in that post....

My kid (5) was given a cookie or two by our downstairs neighbor when we lived in an apartment. From that point forward, without saying anything to us about it, he was always "full" at the breakfast/lunch/dinner table... Then when he went out to play he would always ask people for cookies because...... big surprise..... KIDS LIKE COOKIES!! So this neighbor assumed we had no food in the house, and without even talking to us about anything, called CPS.... Who came knocking at my door, interrogating me, looking around my home, speaking with my wife, demanding to see our 1 year old, speaking to my 5 yr old AT SCHOOL and WITHOUT CONSENT OR PARENTAL PRESENCE... Speaking with neighbors, teachers, etc... Regardless of the fact that (to no surprise of mine) the case was dismissed as "unsubstantiated" I have 0 recourse to go after the libelous slandering son of a b***** neighbor who made the false claim, and not only that, regardless of their ruling, all the people who CPS spoke with now see us as a potentially abusive and/or unfit home and a CPS claim is now on our record... so if in the future (god forbid) anything were to happen to one of my children, or a child who came to my home, I GUARANTEE that will come up and IMMEDIATELY make my wife and I suspect...

As someone who has gone through my own interactions with CPS, the first thing I would advise is DO NOT TALK TO THEM FOR ANY REASON! Don't let them in your house FOR ANY REASON! YOU DON'T HAVE TO! Despite what they say, they need a warrant to enter your house and they CAN BE TRESSPASSED from your property. Even if they come back with a cop, ask him where his warrant is. Memorize the 4th Amendment.

As far as your neighbor goes, if he/she or it knowingly and falsely accused you of anything that would come up to the level of a felony, they can be charged with that same level of offense. Hard to prove but possible. You might if your able have an attorney write them a little love note about it.

As far as them grabbing your kids at school, there isn't much you can do about it. It is my belief that sending a kid to public school is same as child abuse. I'd advise you the same as I do everyone on this subject, homeschool.

One further thing, don't EVER let them know you carry or even have guns in the house.

TBG

Last edited:

TrmptPlyr

I'd advise you the same as I do everyone on this subject, homeschool.

If we could afford that option I'd certainly take it at this point... My eyes have been opened to too many things in the last 3-4 months... I've "woken up" so to speak to things going on in this world... And I know it's definitely in the interest of the government to keep little minds focused on other things...

One further thing, don't EVER let them know you carry or even have guns in the house.

Lucky for me when we were in the apartment, the safe was in the storage/garage that was in an unattached structure 2 buildings away so there wasn't anything even in sight that would suggest it...

We-the-People

Don't talk to them, don't let them in, trespass them from your property, call the cops if they don't leave.

Those people are the biggest thugs in the land. Yes the IDEA of protecting children in nice but how's that worked out with GFSZ's and such? It's not better with them coming to your house.

Then....talk to your children about talk to government agents without you present as they can do bad things. Obviously this needs to be said in age appropriate terms and in a way that doesn't scare them to death.

TrmptPlyr

Yeah I learned a lot about what they can and can't do after it was too late.... honestly though, NV is a pretty ****** state in terms of protecting yourself from CPS...

Let's get this back on topic though, I didn't mean to hijack the thread here...