• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB76 update & new NSCA letter re NICS prohibited persons list

Joef

***NOTE: I do NOT know if he endorses the NSCA position or was merely passing it along to concerned individuals.****

I received the following from Sen Settlemeyer today. It confirms the passage of SB76 "as introduced" and a new letter from the NSCA asking for among other things non-judicial power to remove peoples civil rights by allowing law enforcement and mental health professionals to add people to NICS.

I wrote him back as follows:

Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 3:45 PM
To: Settelmeyer, James Senator
Subject: Re: Firearms Legislative Update.

Senator Settlemeyer:

I have deep concerns regarding the letter from the NSCA, specifically the following:

"We have all seen what persons who have mental illness, who are users of illegal controlled substances or are members of criminal gangs can do with weapons in their hands; any weapons, not just firearms. As it currently stands, many of these individuals are not entered into the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) for a wide variety of reasons. This issue must be addressed at both the national, state and local levels.

***HIPAA must be amended to allow or even mandate reporting of the mentally ill by certain health care providers.****

Courts must ensure the entry of persons who have been adjudicated mentally ill or convicted of disqualifying crimes. ***Persons who have been validated as criminal gang members should be prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms.***

Local jurisdictions must make NICS entry a top priority. Information systems must be utilized to their utmost potential."

1) Please explain to me why these sheriffs dis-honor themselves, their oaths, and their offices by continually wanting to remove certain individuals human rights w/o due process under the Constitution of the United States.

2) Do you support them in this behavior/attitude and are you advocating making sheriffs and medical officials judge, jury, & executioner?

3) As passed SB76 appears to outlaw the carrying of cased long guns. I would think this should be addressed.

Joe

On 3/4/2013 3:13 PM, Settelmeyer, James Senator wrote:

Legislative Update

I am sending this email to you to keep you informed about firearm legislation.

Good news SB76 passed unanimously on the Senate floor today. Now it goes to the Assembly for a hearing.

S.B. 76 Revises provisions governing permits to carry concealed firearms. (BDR 15-37) Senator Settelmeyer

On February 4th I introduced SB76 that seeks to change the law so that a person could qualify, by taking a concealed carry weapons course, with one handgun and legally carry concealed any handgun with a Nevada concealed permit. This bill if passed would eliminate the current requirement that a person to qualify with either a semi-auto and a revolver if they wish to carry both. After all the DMV does NOT make you pass the test with an automatic and a stick shift. It has been referred to Senate Judiciary.
The following is a link to view or submit your opinion on legislation.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Opinions/77th2013/A/

I will continue to send out emails on gun legislation to keep you informed. If you do not wish to receive these emails please respond with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Here are the other bills that are out on firearms. Clicking on the blue section below will take you to the specific bill.

AB143 by Assemblywomen Fiore, the Campus Carry bill.

SB137 by Senator Gustavson, the Constitutional Carry bill.

Here is a letter that the Sheriffs and Chiefs sent out today.

NEVADA SHERIFFS' LETTER TO CONSTITUENTS

The United States Constitution is the foundation upon which this great

Country of ours is built. It is what binds us together as one people. The

Sheriffs of the State of Nevada are Constitutional Officers, sworn to

uphold the Constitution of this State and this Country.

In recent months, tragic events have occurred causing much discussion

pertaining to firearms issues and the Second Amendment. Information

is being distributed at a rapid pace, some factual, some controversial

and some without merit. While firearms will certainly be discussed as

part of any conversation dealing with these events, other issues such as

mental health, The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act

(HIPAA) illegal use of controlled substances, and criminal gang violence

must be included as integral parts of these conversations.

We have all seen what persons who have mental illness, who are users

of illegal controlled substances or are members of criminal gangs can

do with weapons in their hands; any weapons, not just firearms. As it

currently stands, many of these individuals are not entered into the

National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) for a wide

variety of reasons. This issue must be addressed at both the national,

state and local levels. HIPAA must be amended to allow or even

mandate reporting of the mentally ill by certain health care providers.

Courts must ensure the entry of persons who have been adjudicated

mentally ill or convicted of disqualifying crimes. Persons who have been

validated as criminal gang members should be prohibited from

purchasing or possessing firearms. Local jurisdictions must make NICS

entry a top priority. Information systems must be utilized to their

utmost potential.

The Sheriffs of the State of Nevada do not believe that the answer to

this issue includes making criminals out of otherwise law-abiding

citizens. As the old saying goes, "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws

will have guns". The answer lies within a myriad of approaches

including education, addressing violence, keeping firearms out of the

hands of the mentally ill, criminal gang members, and illegal controlled

substance users, as well as prosecuting and incarcerating those who

use firearms to commit crimes.

While there are certainly those who believe these rights under the

Constitution are soon to be lost, we believe a systematic logical

approach to the issue is warranted, and will work to preserve these

rights. The Sheriffs of the State of Nevada are here to enforce the laws

and uphold the Constitutions of this State and this Country. We will do

so with all persons, while still protecting our Second Amendment

freedoms.

The Second Amendment is important to us, and we as Sheriffs will

uphold all that it stands for. We will work within the law and not

succumb to perceived threats, rumor, false, or malicious information to

weight our decision making process.

We as Nevada Sheriffs support The Right to Bear Arms, and we will do

all within our power to uphold and defend its principles.

Carson City Sheriff Ken Furlong

Clark County Sheriff Doug Gillespie

Churchill County Sheriff Ben Trotter

Douglas County Sheriff Ron Pierini

County Sheriff James Pitts

Esmeralda County Sheriff Ken Elgan

Eureka County Sheriff Ken Jones

Humboldt County Sheriff Ed Kilgore

Lander County Sheriff Ron Unger

Lincoln County Sheriff Kerry Lee

Lyon County Sheriff Allen Veil

Mineral County Sheriff Mike Dillard

Nye County Sheriff Tony DeMeo

Pershing County Sheriff Richard Machado

Storey County Sheriff Gerald Antinoro

Washoe County Sheriff Mike Haley

White Pine County Sheriff Dan Watts

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'll repost my comments from the other website, since there is a different readership here:

Senator said:
...Good news SB76 passed unanimously on the Senate floor today. ...
So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause...
http://vimeo.com/25741586

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Senator said:
...Here is a letter that the Sheriffs and Chiefs sent out today.

NEVADA SHERIFFS' LETTER TO CONSTITUENTS...
He REALLY needs to be taken to task on this.

This is NOT coming from actual Nevada sheriffs' and chiefs' acting through their law enforcement agencies.

It is coming from a NON-GOVERNMENTAL, non-profit ORGANIZATION, that just happens to be run by LEOs, not all of whom are sheriffs or chiefs.

So heading their introduction is HIGHLY misleading to Nevadans.

http://www.nvsca.com/about.php

varminter22

He REALLY needs to be taken to task on this.

This is NOT coming from actual Nevada sheriffs' and chiefs' acting through their law enforcement agencies.

It is coming from a NON-GOVERNMENTAL, non-profit ORGANIZATION, that just happens to be run by LEOs, not all of whom are sheriffs or chiefs.

So heading their introduction is HIGHLY misleading to Nevadans.

http://www.nvsca.com/about.php

"Who" needs to be taken to task?

I do NOT believe the good Senator necessarily agrees with the NSCA. In fact, I strongly suspect he does NOT agree 100% with the NSCA (based on the Senator's actions and votes in his time in both the Assembly and the Senate.)

I DO agree - it is true - the NSCA is a NON-GOVERNMENTAL, non-profit org, that is run by LEOs AND I have always said SHOULD NOT have the powers they have in NRS Ch 202 (and other powers they think they have.) And I note there is a pending lawsuit to that effect by a good citizen.

The Big Guy

I do NOT believe the good Senator necessarily agrees with the NSCA. In fact, I strongly suspect he does NOT agree 100% with the NSCA (based on the Senator's actions and votes in his time in both the Assembly and the Senate.)

I DO agree - it is true - the NSCA is a NON-GOVERNMENTAL, non-profit org, that is run by LEOs AND I have always said SHOULD NOT have the powers they have in NRS Ch 202 (and other powers they think they have.) And I note there is a pending lawsuit to that effect by a good citizen.[/QUOTE]

Everyone needs to get behind Tread on this one. He is doing the work of many.

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

I do NOT believe the good Senator necessarily agrees with the NSCA...

His letter introduces the thoughts of the NSCA as if they were coming from law enforcement agencies. He doesn't even use the word Assn. He makes it seem as if these words are coming from sheriffs and chiefs acting in their OFFICIAL capacities.

Especially if he doesn't agree with them, he needs to make it clear that there is a TREMENDOUS difference.

You can bet the NSCA is so named on purpose. They love this confusion.

EDIT: Never mind that "law enforcement" should have NOTHING to do with legislation, which is what NSCA has illegally been given the power to do.

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Joef,
You are the man!!!! Well written letter to Settlemyer, while I also picked up on the two Due process issues, it is unlikely that I would have read completely through that whole "press release" snoozer, if it wasn't brought up in the forum. This is a great example of how Govt. adapts, and it appears that in the last twenty years or so, the Rulers who want all the power stopped coming at issues head on. The trend is they work on due Process, utilize the court SYSTEM to punish, instead of finding one guilty. Mire the citizen in a swamp of administrative regulations, Etc. Etc. In the meantime, the"Rulers" Claim they are all about the second amendment,or whatever right they are violating at the moment and talk lawmakers into unconstitutional moves such as AB105.

The end result is layer after layer of govt. control, that is why the giving of something intangible (power to the NVSCA) for something tangible, (reciprocity with other states) may sound good at first read, but as we saw with Florida and Utah, can be its own undoing.

varminter22

A couple of notes:

1) AB-105 has been pulled and will not be heard (thankfully).

2) While I agree the Senator could have added comments about the NSCA letter, I firmly believe he was simply forwarding the letter to everyone for information. Joef's letter is good - good to request clarification, etc. But like they say, "no good deed goes unpunished." Lets not read anything more into the good Senator's email yet.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...While I agree the Senator could have added comments about the NSCA letter, I firmly believe he was simply forwarding the letter to everyone for information. Joef's letter is good - good to request clarification, etc. But like they say, "no good deed goes unpunished." Lets not read anything more into the good Senator's email yet.

It was not my intention to 'read anything into it,' merely to highlight how very misleading he is, whether he is aware of it or not. By saying he should be 'brought to task' for it, someone (I may eventually get around to it, but someone else is already in a conversation with him) should tell him how very important the difference is. He is likely IGNORANT of the difference, as are likely many of his colleagues, which is what the NSCA counts on to continue.