• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sidearm options for women

FreeInAZ

I really would like to find somewhere in the southeaster parts of Michigan to take her to, so she can rent, and try a few different makes and models so she does not have any regrets. She likes shooting, and I would like her to feel comfortable and confident in her purchase. All these suggestions are appreciated, thank you.

Helped you & the readers out OFA - :D

Small_Arms_Collector

I am suppose to help my wife with her CPL. I need help finding her a caliber she is comfortable with, she has really bad carpal-tunnel and shooting my 40 s&w hurts her wrist. It also does not help she has not gone shooting with me and my boy in 6 months because she is pregnant. Does any one here have suggestions? I was thinking a Beretta 9mm, or a Bersa 380.

Best bet would be to continue useing the .40 S&W, just get a 9mm barrel, and magazines so she can practice with the 9mm, but carry the .40 S&W.

If you want another pistol I would go with a full 9mm, or .40S&W (with conversion barrel, and magazines) Like a Glock 17, or 22, or an XDM 9, or 40, or a Smith & Wesson M&P 9, or 40, again all full frame as it will manage the recoil better than the compacts, a compensator might be a good idea to. A steel pistol like a Sig might manage the recoil to, but Sig's quality control has been off lately, and they are expensive, you could also look at CZs.

Raggs

If she has small hands the Glock 17 wont work

Best bet would be to continue useing the .40 S&W, just get a 9mm barrel, and magazines so she can practice with the 9mm, but carry the .40 S&W.

If you want another pistol I would go with a full 9mm, or .40S&W (with conversion barrel, and magazines) Like a Glock 17, or 22, or an XDM 9, or 40, or a Smith & Wesson M&P 9, or 40, again all full frame as it will manage the recoil better than the compacts, a compensator might be a good idea to. A steel pistol like a Sig might manage the recoil to, but Sig's quality control has been off lately, and they are expensive, you could also look at CZs.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
While the 5.7mm is an outstanding round, its sidearm, the Five-seveN, is not the most concealable, especially on smaller frames. You mentioned a CPL, but maybe that is required for open carry in your state, I don't know.
No, a CPL is not needed for OC here, except if you want to get into your vehicle with it still strapped on. Or, if you're from out of state. Some of our gun laws are nice, and some of them suck.

Michigander

If she has small hands the Glock 17 wont work

Yep. Stock, no good for a carry gun for someone with small hands, because the Glock signature huge hulking back strap will likely be a bit too big for one handed shooting.

With a modified grip, it shouldn't be a problem.

Raggs

Yep. Stock, no good for a carry gun for someone with small hands, because the Glock signature huge hulking back strap will likely be a bit too big for one handed shooting.

With a modified grip, it shouldn't be a problem.

but how much would that cost to have done? There are a lot of really good pistols that will fit the bill without having to be customized.

WalkingWolf

but how much would that cost to have done? There are a lot of really good pistols that will fit the bill without having to be customized.

It's a plastic gun, just cut off the part you don't want, and add some bondo...

:banana: Just teasing.

Sheldon

Wanted to raise your post count? I'm fine with that but as part of the BTDT crowd, Made the mistake of listening to what other thought would be a good gun for her... my wife went through 3 guns before I got smart and let her pick her own....

and one for... if you are ever in the Battle Creek area Freedom firearms has what you are looking for but I'm betting you can find someplace closer and more convent. Ask some of your local gun buddys...

Last edited:

MKEgal

OneForAll said:
... take her to, so she can rent, and try a few different makes and models so she does not have any regrets.
Sheldon said:
My best advice is to take her to a shop with a range, and range guns. Let her decide what she wants, is comfortable with, and fits her and is easy for her to shoot. NOT YOU...
+1 on both of those.
She should handle everything they'll let her handle (go at a slower time), find what fits her hand well, then try shooting those (as many as possible) to see what recoil is acceptable. Also, simply operating the slide to clear a malfunction.

Raggs said:
If she has small hands the Glock 17 won't work
The Gen4 has adjustable backstraps.
I don't like the textured grips, either texture, but I'm told those can be swapped out.

WalkingWolf

+1 on both of those.
She should handle everything they'll let her handle (go at a slower time), find what fits her hand well, then try shooting those (as many as possible) to see what recoil is acceptable. Also, simply operating the slide to clear a malfunction.

The Gen4 has adjustable backstraps.
I don't like the textured grips, either texture, but I'm told those can be swapped out.

I am OK with the lady deciding, BUT after a good amount of exposure time. No offense but ladies tend to worry more about looks before function. Just like my sweetie wanting a IWB WHEN I already told her they were uncomfortable until getting used to having a gun shoved in your pants. First thing she said after I gave it to her yesterday was that it was uncomfortable.

Two rules for women, chrome and pink... Just Teasing :banana:

FreeInAZ

I mean... why not? Works fine. Bondo, Oak, whatever... Its a glock its not like it looked nice to begin with. Function is what its about. Ask Michigander about his grip mod... haha

Hey now! It fits his hand and all it cost him was his time & a black sharpie or two:confused: . Speaking of looks vs function I was trying to get a Glock 21 (45acp) none of the stores near me have had them in stock for some time...stumbled upon a FNX-45 today in duo tone (15+1) so I bought it. It's way too pretty for me, I am known for my love of Ugly guns! Oh well I'll suffer through it..;) Next time I'm in town all have to ask commander ice man for tips on OCing it {as he carries two at all times}. :p
http://www.fnhusa.com/files/2413/4487/7837/fnx-45_large.png

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
My Sweet Baboo tried several handguns before choosing the S&W BodyGuard revolver in .38 sp. She really likes a Colt Police Positive in .38S&W.
I have been treated for carpel tunnel and I have chosen a CZ82 in 9x18. Very comfortable, very inexpensive ($225), light recoil, 92 gr HP puts a nice sized hole in a human.

Michigander

I mean... why not? Works fine. Bondo, Oak, whatever... Its a glock its not like it looked nice to begin with. Function is what its about. Ask Michigander about his grip mod... haha

Yep. I cut and ground down the grip, fitted an oak backstrap I hand checkered, and textured other parts of the grip with my soldering iron. It was unconventional, but highly effective and cost me literally nothing. I did try out a bed liner and sand grip texturing, but later stripped that off and did the soldering iron, so what it has on it now was thoroughly free.

Having someone texture a Glock normally cost 100-150 if my memory serves me right. But there is no reason not to do it yourself. If you wish to do it the normal way, and have basic hand tools such as a dremel, drill, soldering iron, tape and some putty or playdo or something similar,the only other thing you'd need is some epoxy to back fill the backstrap. Worried about screwing it up? Practice on an AK grip first. It seriously isn't hard.

Indeed, buying a Glock with the intentions of immediately cutting it down may not make sense. But between the gen 4's and the ease of modding earlier guns, the point is that if someone likes every other aspect about the Glock best, the grip need not be a road block.

carracer

My wife has a Charter Arms Pink Lady. Light weight and pleasant to shoot with really light cowboy loads. Full power loads are a different story. After having for several years she said to me that the trigger hurts her finger after shooting a while and she would like a semi auto. ( I think she just got the wanta new gun bug!). She picked out a Body Guard .380 but let it get sold before she went back for it. Last weekend she bought a Ruger LC380. She picked it out herself. We shot 14 rounds thru it Sunday morning before the weather turned us back. At 30 feet the first 4 rounds were about 12 inches low. I corrected her dropping her hands as she was firing. Next ten rounds were all on target. Not a good group, but, all there! Recoil just a little more than a .22 so with more practice it will tighten up nicely.

The main thing is that she now has HER OWN gun that she picked out herself. She can rack the slide easily. It doesn't hurt her hand in any way and she can see positive results on the target! She actually wants to go shooting more often and WANTS to carry!

Now, it's my turn for a new gun! I think the old one hurts my hand....