• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sidearm options for women

arentol

If she is going to carry in a purse then size doesn't matter much, but weight matters a lot. In that case I would suggest having her try out the Kel-tec PMR-30. It weighs under 20 oz. fully loaded with 30 rounds of .22 magnum. There is almost no recoil at all, the slide is really easy to work, and the sights are very high visibility. So basically it is just about the perfect firearm for people with hand issues.... Except for one thing. .22 magnum is kind of a long round so the grip may be too large for someone with smaller hands. This is why she will need to try it out before buying, but if it fits her hand then it could be the right choice for her.

FreeInAZ

If she is going to carry in a purse then size doesn't matter much, but weight matters a lot. In that case I would suggest having her try out the Kel-tec PMR-30. It weighs under 20 oz. fully loaded with 30 rounds of .22 magnum. There is almost no recoil at all, the slide is really easy to work, and the sights are very high visibility. So basically it is just about the perfect firearm for people with hand issues.... Except for one thing. .22 magnum is kind of a long round so the grip may be too large for someone with smaller hands. This is why she will need to try it out before buying, but if it fits her hand then it could be the right choice for her.

Really? A PMR- might as well tell her to buy one of Elvis's 38's as they are almost as easy to find as a PMR30.:p

Last edited:

OneForAll

My wife finally found a pistol that is comfortable for her to shoot. My concern is quality in her choice, a Beretta 84FS .380 Cheetah. Is this a good quality, and reliable pistol? If this is a good investment, I plan on buying the Beretta 92FS M9A1 9MM for myself. If anyone owns either one of these firearms and can give me feedback, I would really appreciate the information. Thank you....

The one she wants....
http://www.impactguns.com/beretta-84fs-380-cheetah-13-rd-black-j84f200m-082442814995.aspx

The one I want....
http://www.slickguns.com/product/beretta-92fs-type-m9a1-9mm-15rd-pistol-w-rail-648-free-shipping

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
My wife finally found a pistol that is comfortable for her to shoot. My concern is quality in her choice, a Beretta 84FS .380 Cheetah. Is this a good quality, and reliable pistol? If this is a good investment, I plan on buying the Beretta 92FS M9A1 9MM for myself. If anyone owns either one of these firearms and can give me feedback, I would really appreciate the information. Thank you....

The one she wants....
http://www.impactguns.com/beretta-84fs-380-cheetah-13-rd-black-j84f200m-082442814995.aspx

The one I want....
http://www.slickguns.com/product/beretta-92fs-type-m9a1-9mm-15rd-pistol-w-rail-648-free-shipping
What can I say, it's a Beretta. Of course it's good quality. So far as I know, Beretta is the oldest gun maker in business. They first started in 1526. While I'm not a big fan of their model 92, it is a good design.

Personally, I prefer the Taurus PT92, which is very similar, but has the safety on the frame, and not the slide. So it works the same way as my 1911. I prefer consistency with how safeties work on auto pistols, as I find it's safer when everything works the same, or similar way. I like the model 84, as it's safety is also on the frame, and works in the same direction. Up for safe, down to shoot. The M9A1/Model 92FS works the opposite.

But I have to say, when I have the money again, I'm gonna get me a Model 84. I think they're nice little pistols.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My wife finally found a pistol that is comfortable for her to shoot. My concern is quality in her choice, a Beretta 84FS .380 Cheetah. Is this a good quality, and reliable pistol? ...

That is an outstanding pistol and I would recommend it without reservation. It is extremely pleasant to shoot, which is the most important feature in a self-defense sidearm. I have one on my short list of guns I still want in my collection, but I have handled and fired them in the past. Get it!

OneForAll

That is an outstanding pistol and I would recommend it without reservation. It is extremely pleasant to shoot, which is the most important feature in a self-defense sidearm. I have one on my short list of guns I still want in my collection, but I have handled and fired them in the past. Get it!

Thank you for the information, my wife is looking forward to getting it. I use PDX1 40's for personal defense ammo in my XD, have you used the PDX1 .380 ammo, and is it any good?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thank you for the information, my wife is looking forward to getting it. I use PDX1 40's for personal defense ammo in my XD, have you used the PDX1 .380 ammo, and is it any good?

I've not used those. I'm a big fan of Hornady Critical Defense for factory self-defense loads. FWIW, hollowpoints are not as helpful in the .380 as they are in the 9mm, and especially the .40. It doesn't hurt to get back some of the penetration you are losing with the lower velocity. Hollowpoints aren't a bad idea, mind you, but don't go thinking they are mandatory.

OneForAll

My concern is I live in an apartment complex and worry about to much penetration. We would rather things stop and do what they are intended. If she will not have this problem with a .380, that is good to know. Especially when hollow points are so expensive.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Solid bullets from a .380 will penetrate a hollow wall regardless of hollowpoint or not. There are no easy answers, but there is plenty of debate to ponder with all your options.

OneForAll

Solid bullets from a .380 will penetrate a hollow wall regardless of hollowpoint or not. There are no easy answers, but there is plenty of debate to ponder with all your options.

I was under the impression that hollow points opened up upon impact which slowed them down considerably preventing complete penetration, am I wrong? Should I quit carrying hollow points?

XDS45

I was under the impression that hollow points opened up upon impact which slowed them down considerably preventing complete penetration, am I wrong? Should I quit carrying hollow points?

Most factory hollow points penetrate to about 10 inches in solid ballistics gel. And yes they do open on impact. But still will not stop them through a hollow wall.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

They do slow down. In a water-filled body. Not so much in just two layers of drywall and some insulation.

There are plenty of arguments for and against, but there are products designed to more greatly lessen penetration of walls, but many argue that you give up performance. Honestly, shooting things at bad guys is more important than the details of what you shoot them with. Research the use of Glaser Safety Slugs when you are loaded for defense of an apartment or well-occupied homes.

http://www.corbon.com/safety-slug/general/glaser-safety-slug

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

12 gauge bird shot breaks up and disperses after going through drywall. Within 7 yards in a body, massive damage that is difficult to repair.

SteveInCO

12 gauge bird shot breaks up and disperses after going through drywall. Within 7 yards in a body, massive damage that is difficult to repair.

When inside your house/apartment and it's ready to hand, a shotgun is hard (if not impossible) to beat!

Given the chances of home invasion, however, you can't be sure that you will get to your shotgun in time should you need it; the invasion could happen while you are in the kitchen or living room. (And I imagine the shotgun will be next to the bed.) I know this will sound paranoid to some but it's not imprudent to have a sidearm on while at home.

More on topic, yes, find something she likes and can and will handle, and that will be a function of factors you simply cannot know or appreciate, so she needs to make the choice; your role at best is to point out as many options as you can so she doesn't pass up a perfect fit for her out of ignorance (a good salesman, as opposed to just some clown out to make any sale he can, will help with this).

Just remember rule #1 of gunfights: Have A Gun. Note it is not specific as to what kind of gun. Find a gun she will likely have with her should the brown smelly stuff start to fly.

OneForAll

Me and my wife went looking for her Beretta .380 today. They did not have one and the guy I was speaking with said he was having trouble finding one himself. While I was talking to him my wife was walking about looking at other pistols. She stopped in her tracks when she found a Ruger LCP .380 Why you ask, it was purple.... She like the way it felt, and I found out she could get the same version in Ruger LC9, 9mm. Anyone know anything about these???

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9DE/models.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcpDE/models.html

Which one should she get? I was thinking the LC9.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

Which one should she get? I was thinking the LC9.

I would second that choice - but first, if possible, have her shoot one to make sure. Many ranges have firearms for rent at a nominal rate, see if you can find one for her to give it a try.

Red Dawg

Feel the SR9 and SR9c too if you are at a shop...They have adjustable backstraps for hand size...I have an SR9, and love the feel, but don't have any medical issues, so I may just not notice and recoil. You can clear a 17 rd mag as fast as your finger moves and keep within a 3 inch center...Maybe to 4 inches, didn't have a ruler/tape measure..