Thread: Gun Safe Dehuidifier

Gun Safe Dehuidifier

Finally got a gun safe and was wondering what y'all use for a dehumidifier in your safes? I was looking at one of the rods.

T-R

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper-Randy View Post
    Finally got a gun safe and was wondering what y'all use for a dehumidifier in your safes? I was looking at one of the rods.

T-R
    All the rods do are warm the interior to help prevent condensation from forming on the contents by keeping it a couple degrees warmer than outside. They do not reduce the humidity level and may not prevent rust from forming.

You can use Vapor Phase Corrosion Inhibitors which will prevent corrosion. http://www.bull-frog.com/products/
    Or you can use a dehumidifer like the Eva-Dry. http://www.eva-dry.com/products/?utm...55)%20292.6460

Or get a bag of crystal cat litter (100% silica gel without any additives) , and and old pair of socks/pantyhose/etc. and make your own.

for guns you very rarely remove from the safe, you can also get resealable/reuseable watertight/airtight bags and such
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

Put about three pounds of white rice in a container with holes in the lid in the bottom of the safe.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

How about taking your guns out from time to time and apply a little oil to them. WW's rice suggestion is a good one if you are adverse to my suggestion.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Thanks for the input all! I ordered one of the Eva-Dry E-500 and it came today. I will stick it in and see how it works. I do take my out a couple times a year and wipe them down. I will give them a good wipe down as I put them in.

T-R

One addition to this: The gypsum in sheetrock will also absorb moisture. Remove the paper, crumble it up, dry it in an oven, and then, as with the rice, put it in a container with holes and place it in the gun safe.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Calcium chloride - DampRid

Silica gel can be regenerated in a 250F oven.